What's new

+ Week Colorado to Maine

Made a return to Burlington - this time staying at the Hilton downtown. Lake view from the rooms and easy walking distance to the restaurants. And we got into town around 4:00 PM for a change!
Lake from our room ...
IMG_7719.JPG
IMG_7720.JPG
IMG_7721.JPG
IMG_7722.JPG

The following day we're headed south out of Burlington for Wilkes Barre, PA for the night. We didn't find the riding in Vermont to be much better than Maine - too many cops, low speed limits and too many towns with traffic. Oh well, lesson learned.
Got a death defying Uber ride in Wilkes to the local Mexican joint for dinner and drinks before
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1183.JPG
IMG_1184.JPG
crashing out for the night ...

Next day and we're headed for Gettysburg to check out a museum I wanna see and to see the battlefields. Very somber place where 10,000+ soldiers died over three days.
Steps where Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address and battlefield monuments
IMG_7725.JPG
IMG_7728.JPG
IMG_7733.JPG
IMG_7735.JPG
IMG_7736.JPG
IMG_7738.JPG
IMG_7741.JPG
.. ...

The museum that I wanted to go to didn't disappoint. Lots of odd WWII relics to include one of Hitler's shirts, Hitler's silver tea set,
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG
IMG_1189.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1191.JPG
IMG_1192.JPG
IMG_1194.JPG
IMG_1195.JPG
IMG_1196.JPG
IMG_1198.JPG
Sepp Dietrich's uniform, pistols of Himmler and Goering, lots of weird, cool stuff...

After Gettysburg, we head further south to stay in Morgantown, West Virginia for the night. Camping out at the Marriott Waterfront for the night. We were welcomed by my wife's coworkers there with reserved bike parking and some snacks in my suite - pizza rolls and beers!
IMG_1227.JPG
IMG_1219.JPG
IMG_7750.JPG
IMG_7751.JPG
IMG_7754.JPG
IMG_7760.JPG

Last edited:
From Morgantown, Dave and Debbie have to split off and head for home in Indianapolis. Todd and I are going to ride in West VA before ending the day in Zanesville, Ohio.
West Virginia has some great twisty roads with elevation changes, few towns, no traffic and no cops. Almost heaven!
IMG_1229.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_7761.JPG
IMG_7762.JPG

We spent a day off of the bikes in Zanesville - had to do laundry and rest of weary asses. Managed to do some day drinking at the local Texas Roadhouse
PSGD1495.JPG
though ...

Todd and I had to hump it from Zanesville to Bloomington, Indiana the following day. Not a lot of good riding as we did mostly Interstate 64 to make up time. Rained a good portion of the day and we got to Bloomington around 6:00 PM. Found a local watering hole with
RUNL9909.JPG
an impressive back bar for dinner . . .

After Bloomington, we head to Todd's house in Columbia, Missouri for the last night of the trip. The day after I rail on I-70 for home.
Right at 6,000 miles for me and a little less for the others, but we all made it home safely with no tickets and some
IMG_8081.JPG
good memories. I call that a successful trip!

The consensus amongst the group was that riding in Maine pretty much blows, so we made a route plan to get outta there the next day and back to Vermont.
Weird road surface near Presque - any idea what causes this?

Have to get away from the coast for some good riding- I was up and down 201 from the coast up towards the border. There and to the west some good pavement (modulo a few older sections)- didn't see one cop. Really leaned into the bike out there :)

Saw more popo in NH and NY than in VT or ME.

Ah, in Vermont I was way upstate along the border- some fantastic riding there along 235/120/118/105 and 114, though the border patrol lurked in places.

Back
Top Bottom