What's new

+ Week Colorado to Maine

Earache

Member Number
Started my trip from where I live in the Rockies to Maine yesterday. But this trip so far is much different than any of trip I've taken.

The difference is that it snowed 20" two days prior to my scheduled departure and then another 8" on the day of my departure. So the first day of this trip was completed in my truck with the bike in back. I'm so ashamed......
IMG_0999.jpg
IMG_1001.jpg
IMG_1002.jpg
IMG_1001.jpg
IMG_1002.jpg

Whereabouts in Maine?
We'll be staying in Bangor as we arrive and the southeastward to the coast before heading north to Presque Isle. Then up to Fort Kent before heading to Burlington, VT as we exit the State. Not 100% sure of the exact routes yet - open to suggestions.

Having about 60,000 miles through New England, Vermont is by far my favorite place to ride. Its awesome. I'd spend as much time as possible there. Take the long ways. Explore. There are dirt roads that lead on for miles and miles. Somerset Reservoir and Somerset Rd is freaking awesome. But that's way southern.

Maine can sort of be a pain to travel around. Most of it is private land and not accessible. Everything is east and it all leads to RT1. If camping, I'd suggest Androscroggin State park way way up. One of the nicest campgrounds I've stayed at.

woods - Thanks. No camping for us - hotels only.
Will have only 2 days in Maine and 2 in Vermont so not sure how much exploring we'll do. Limited vacation time for Dave & Debbie will limit us. Have to try to get back and do it again some other time.
I'll see if we can get near Somerset Res - thanks for the tip.

woods - Thanks. No camping for us - hotels only.
Will have only 2 days in Maine and 2 in Vermont so not sure how much exploring we'll do. Limited vacation time for Dave & Debbie will limit us. Have to try to get back and do it again some other time.
I'll see if we can get near Somerset Res - thanks for the tip.
Ah, yea, can't speak on hotels. I can't do hotels.

But yea, if you look up Somerset Reservoir, there's a road just west of it. like, fire road [numbers]. goes north to south/south to north. goes through forests and farm land. beautiful.

Ah, yea, can't speak on hotels. I can't do hotels.

But yea, if you look up Somerset Reservoir, there's a road just west of it. like, fire road [numbers]. goes north to south/south to north. goes through forests and farm land. beautiful.
My wife works in the hotel industry and hooked us up with $35 a night hotels for the entire trip - hard to argue with that. Split between two to a room and it's cheaper than camping.

Started my trip from where I live in the Rockies to Maine yesterday. But this trip so far is much different than any of trip I've taken.

The difference is that it snowed 20" two days prior to my scheduled departure and then another 8" on the day of my departure. So the first day of this trip was completed in my truck with the bike in back. I'm so ashamed......:lol3
No reason to be ashamed. I have started many trips with my bike in the back of my truck.

I lived in Maine for 4 years. IMO the most beautiful part of the state and New England was the coastline. It wasn't the most exciting riding but it sure was scenic. I'm looking forward to the rest of your report.

Just a coincidence but just a few minutes ago I posted the part of my ride report that went from Maine to Colorado and then I read this!

If your in Ft. Kent swing by Madawaska to the Four Corners Park, neat little place. Not too many ways to get into the County, Rt 1 or Rt 11. Rt. 11 is my preference get off I95 in Sherman, takes you all the way to Madawaska, you can loop down to PI from there. Good luck on your ride, if you run into problems in Maine, drop me a note.

Dodged big assed rain storms all day as we checked the local weather radar at each stop. Had to wait out a few spots but never really got rained on all day. SWe would have ridden right through this had we not checked.......
EFPY0784.JPEG

Back
Top Bottom