What's new

Considering getting into trials

Gravelcruiser

Member Number
So recently I've been considering getting into trials. I have a club fairly close by and an acquaintance or two that dabbles in it. My question is what brands would make a good starter bike? Needs to be low budget so I can see how much interest I have in going farther. I've been around motorcycles for 40 years, but have very little knowledge of trials and the brands. I assume some have come and gone, so parts availability would be a concern for sure.

A beginner isn't likely to notice the differences between brands, they are all good, they all have their problems. Buy the newest thing you can afford and go learn to ride. There are always bikes for sale at the local events. Upgrade as you progress. I'm on my 4th bike in 6 years. First one was a 1996 GasGas and now riding a 2021 Beta. For parts, if you stay newer than 10 years old you aren't likely to have parts issues.

T-minus 3 minutes before brand loyalty bickering commences.

As Sceep said, the brand does not matter much. They are all pretty good. My brain does not get along with a 4 stroke, I like the faster revving of a 2 stroke. There are many people out there that love the 4 stroke power delivery. Older GasGas could be tough to find parts for, as KTM retires that older design. Do not buy a project bike and don’t be scared to spend a few bucks, the bikes hold their value really well once the new bike depreciation has taken its hit. You can buy a used bike and ride it for 6 months and not really loose any money.

Trials Bikes For Sale USA on Facebook is a good resource for bikes.

Awesome advice guys, I was wondering about the older Gasgas as far as parts availability. One of the ones that I had seen was a 90s model. And MATT is the one I'm closest too, I did go watch a bit of the Quarry cup a few years back.

Awesome advice guys, I was wondering about the older Gasgas as far as parts availability. One of the ones that I had seen was a 90s model. And MATT is the one I'm closest too, I did go watch a bit of the Quarry cup a few years back.

90’s is really old. Even the early 2000’s is getting old.

I often equate trials to golf on motorcycles. Think about trying to get into golf with a bent up set of clubs, you might get really frustrated and quit. There are plenty of well cared for, older clubs out there that would be good. You stand a better chance of liking the sport if you get some clubs that are more modern. You definitely do not need new or cutting edge.

Simple maintenance things can really make a trials bike difficult to ride. Notchy steering bearings can make it difficult to balance. Rear suspension that is sloppy or rusted can make the bike perform oddly. A smooth and predictable clutch is very important. Same with the fueling and how the motor revs out.

Lastly, do not ride a bike that is newer of more expensive than you are willing to buy.

True, I won't even ride a newer dirt bike because then, all of mine that have been fine up to that point, will now be terrible. And cost me lotsa $$$$.

I should also mention, I'm not looking to buy immediately. I have a full fall schedule and a couple projects waiting on snow to arrive. But I am trying to become more educated so when I am ready I won't be behind the curve.

I should also mention, I'm not looking to buy immediately. I have a full fall schedule and a couple projects waiting on snow to arrive. But I am trying to become more educated so when I am ready I won't be behind the curve.

The newest TRS RR models arrive in December or January every year. The number of used bikes on the market seems to tick up then as new owners sell their old bikes.

Try to get by a local event and talk to some people, many bikes never see the open market and are sold on word of mouth.

Try to get by a local event and talk to some people, many bikes never see the open market and are sold on word of mouth.
This cant be emphasized enough. ^^ I don't think I've seen one of our club members bikes on the open market. Yet theres 2-6 bikes for sale in the pits every month. They get picked up by newcomers who are there spectating or passed down within the club.

This cant be emphasized enough. ^^ I don't think I've seen one of our club members bikes on the open market. Yet theres 2-6 bikes for sale in the pits every month. They get picked up by newcomers who are there spectating or passed down within the club.
The flip side to that is.... Most bikes you find that aren't in the trials community, are non running or barely running junk. That's part of why they are sitting in a shed. Very few, if any old bikes in the $2000 range have complete parts availability at this point in time. If you get serious, research the bike you are going to buy very carefully.

That is what I was expecting to hear. I've come across a few parts on other bikes that were very popular that were obsolete in a relatively short time. Years ago when I worked at a dealership, it seemed like parts were supported for a longer time, but I'm sure there was more interchangeability in the models back then as well.

That is what I was expecting to hear. I've come across a few parts on other bikes that were very popular that were obsolete in a relatively short time. Years ago when I worked at a dealership, it seemed like parts were supported for a longer time, but I'm sure there was more interchangeability in the models back then as well.

What brands did you deal with at the dealership? If you are referring to Asian brands, that would be true. KTM only supports about 12 years back. Any older than that and you’ll have to rely on the aftermarket for support. Trials brands are similar but once you know where to look, you can find parts for some older bikes. Having to order from European sources is common.

Trials always seem so exclusive. I use to see bikes for sale in Ohio and never jumped. Now even harder to find in NC. I guess that is the only reason I never bought in. The bikes are rare. Same with speedway bikes. I should have jumped on at least one when I had the chance. Both are such awesome purpose built machines with a small core group of riders.

Ok..I got digging and found Bunn NC has trials events. Which isnt too far from here. Anyone here attend these events in NC?

To piggyback on the OP, what's the story on electric trials? Just about all listings are 2T and 4T.

Ryan F9's latest video sparked my interest and with something like a square mile of land behind my house, it'd be a decent spot to use on. I like quiet in my woods so I'd like to skip the gas bikes.

They are out there. Mostly kids bikes but there are some adult sized ones too. I know nothing about them other than they go bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz as they whir through the section.
My dads Beta 4t is freaking quiet though too. Not silent but I bet you cant hear it once its 25 yards into the trees. If even that much.

They are out there. Mostly kids bikes but there are some adult sized ones too. I know nothing about them other than they go bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz as they whir through the section.
My dads Beta 4t is freaking quiet though too. Not silent but I bet you cant hear it once its 25 yards into the trees. If even that much.

That's what I'm seeing too. F9 was on an electric one and that was neat. I don't even talk when I'm in the woods.

Back
Top Bottom