What's new

COVID Check In

Well, I promised myself that I wasn't going to get into a conversation over this but...

VACCINE:
noun vaccine plural noun vaccines
  1. a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases, prepared from the causative agent of a disease, its products, or a synthetic substitute, treated to act as an antigen without inducing the disease
They changed the definition after they realized it wasn't actually a vaccine.

This may be connected to the old saying "It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."
What I mean by that is that people knowing they have been lied to (for whatever reason) are adamant in "being right".
I think it's something else altogether.

For example, it occurs to me that neither monkeys swinging through the trees nor snakes slithering through the grass engage in 'right fighting' .

The obsession with being right- meaning factually accurate not 'right thinking' in a moral or ethical sense, seems to be a uniquely human trait( although the latter certainly does come into play).

" Are you coming to bed,honey?"

" I can't, somebody is wrong on the internet ! "

The obvious example here would be Ivermectin.

Suppose person A believes it is the cure for covid.

Further suppose that person B knows, factually, that it is not.

Person A is adamant in their belief and will not be convinced otherwise.

Your hypothesis would pursue the reasons for person A's beliefs.

My line of inquiry seeks the rationale of person B.

If person A's behavior has no direct impact upon person B, then why does person B care, at all, what person A believes ?

And why is disabusing person A of their notions even remotely important to person B ??

Right fighting is an odd pursuit, isn't it?

True, but this is rapidly heading off to CSM (style) territory, where insults are more important than facts.
Yes well if people are not able to have a simple and civil discussion then perhaps they should refrain of their own accord.

This ain't ADV rider and there is no bullshit CSM safe space where the cry bullies make the rules.

Yes well if people are not able to have a simple and civil discussion then perhaps they should refrain of their own accord.

This ain't ADV rider and there is no bullshit CSM safe space where the cry bullies make the rules.
:rofl Sure there is, even some of the CSM mainstays are there. https://advbikes.com/forums/controversial-ideologies.90/

I avoid both for the most part. Not worth the mental gymnastics to try to follow the "logic" often presented.

Right. That's exactly what I said.

I never once suggested that Ivermectin was effective against COVID. I didn't even hint at that. What I did say is that it's silly to go around around lambasting people for taking Ivermectin because we, as humans, have nearly half a century of history of successfully using that medicine. When someone points at another person who uses Ivermectin and, like a school kid, says, "haha you're taking a horse deworming pill!"...it's a show of ignorance.

Ignorance isn't an insult. There's LOTS of things I'm ignorant about. EG; I don't know how to play a piano and many other skills.

To put it simply. I said Ivermectin is for people, not just farm animals. I never said it was for use against COVID. That's a stretch you made in your own mind, for whatever reason you had, that I'm not responsible for.
I've read and re-read your posts; you certainly seem to be all over the map.

There was no mention that I either agree or disagree with you, though your slant on the matter is clear, nor is it a conversation I'm interested in having.

Simply, I used your anecdotal reference as a relevant jumping off point to present the facts of the matter so far as we know them to be true at this time,and according to reputable sources, regarding the current state of covid treatment.

Personally, I remain either covid free (how I do not know) or never generated enough antibodies to test positive- and I hope it stays that way.

OTOH, I have little to no interest in an other jab.

I ignored my gut instinct for the first three rounds; that's enough.

:rofl Sure there is, even some of the CSM mainstays are there. https://advbikes.com/forums/controversial-ideologies.90/

I avoid both for the most part. Not worth the mental gymnastics to try to follow the "logic" often presented.

Actually, the CSM shithole is a perfect example of right fighting-

Wear three masks and wash your hands for exactly 3 choruses of Happy Birthday or you're a granny killler !!1!!!

Despite the fact that there was no evidence to indicate that either of those things were effective.

I only presume it continues to be that way there; I'll never visit that site again.

My wife and I are fully vaxxed and boosted, got both of each (Moderna). Not wearing masks anymore in my local small town area but still cognizant of the mild risk and we avoid big crowds. Our area is rural and many are anti-vaxxers. Considering the stories of long-term Covid I'd rather avoid than risk degraded health and, more importantly for a lifelong asthma sufferer, additional breathing problems.
Thank you, Sir, sticking to OP.

Actually, the CSM shithole is a perfect example of right fighting-

Wear three masks and wash your hands for exactly 3 choruses of Happy Birthday or you're a granny killler !!1!!!

Despite the fact that there was no evidence to indicate that either of those things were effective.

I only presume it continues to be that way there; I'll never visit that site again.
:rofl

J&J, and 2 moderna boosters. Same with my wife. Kids had the Pfizer and boosted. None of us have had Covid. We've traveled a bit. I've been overseas twice. 4 weeks in Italy over the summer. Not masking anymore. My oldest is in the dorms in Manhattan.

We don't do much, living in Vermont there aren't many people around, but I go to NYC or Montreal relatively often. I'll be back in Europe in a couple weeks. I won't mask.

A friend is an ER doc. He says there's a conspiracy theory floating around the Doc community. We all have A-neg blood type. He says that fits the pattern, but is quick to mention its a conspiracy theory.

I'll continue getting boosted, because I'm not affected by it at all. A friend got really sick and won't get boosted again. He has Lyme's disease. Apparently, there's a connection? Dunno. Mostly, I'll continue with the vaccinations because at this point, I don't see a down side. I'm pretty sure Bill Gates isn't putting chips into my blood stream, and I have a few friends with long covid symptons, and, well, they can have it. I think the oddest thing about Covid is that it affects everyone so differently. Some folks get really sick. Some not at all. that's the hard part for me. So far, what I'm doing is working, so why change? FWIW, I've never had a flu shot in my life and have never had the flu. Got the shingles vaccine a couple years ago, and that kicked my ass! I can't remember the last time I had a cold or any sickness. Must be the Turkey Tail

I've read and re-read your posts; you certainly seem to be all over the map.

There was no mention that I either agree or disagree with you, though your slant on the matter is clear, nor is it a conversation I'm interested in having.

Simply, I used your anecdotal reference as a relevant jumping off point to present the facts of the matter so far as we know them to be true at this time,and according to reputable sources, regarding the current state of covid treatment.

Personally, I remain either covid free (how I do not know) or never generated enough antibodies to test positive- and I hope it stays that way.

OTOH, I have little to no interest in an other jab.

I ignored my gut instinct for the first three rounds; that's enough.
No, I'm not all over the map at all. I simply told Amos that he was being rude by giving Expat shit about Ivermectin being only for horses, which isn't true. You jumped in and started claiming I was thinking with my emotions, which also isn't true. I'm not recapping everything. It's all still there to read.

I didn't use my own anecdotal story to convey any facts, so the fact that you tried to use my anecdotes to convey facts for me isn't for me to explain.

You read that I'm not vaccinated and assumed I'm one of those antivaxxers. You read me say that Ivermectin is approved for human use and assumed I was on of those pushing to use it against COVID. That's why you dropped me links regarding the efficacy of Ivermectin vs COVID. I'm not all over the place, you just made incorrect assumptions.

I spoke plainly and you assumed away. None of that's on me and I made that clear. Now that the conversation isn't going the way you want you are attempting to tell me that I'm all over the place.

Last edited:
I think it's something else altogether.

For example, it occurs to me that neither monkeys swinging through the trees nor snakes slithering through the grass engage in 'right fighting' .

The obsession with being right- meaning factually accurate not 'right thinking' in a moral or ethical sense, seems to be a uniquely human trait( although the latter certainly does come into play).

" Are you coming to bed,honey?"

" I can't, somebody is wrong on the internet ! "

The obvious example here would be Ivermectin.

Suppose person A believes it is the cure for covid.

Further suppose that person B knows, factually, that it is not.

Person A is adamant in their belief and will not be convinced otherwise.

Your hypothesis would pursue the reasons for person A's beliefs.

My line of inquiry seeks the rationale of person B.

If person A's behavior has no direct impact upon person B, then why does person B care, at all, what person A believes ?

And why is disabusing person A of their notions even remotely important to person B ??

Right fighting is an odd pursuit, isn't it?
You are still insisting that the conversation was about someone trying to prove that Ivermectin was suitable for use against COVID.

I never said that. I only said it was approved for use in humans.

You're stirring up an argument that YOU want to have and trying to gaslight me in to thinking I said something I didn't. Never gonna happen

Have you had COVID, how bad was it, when did you get it, and what is your general level of exposure?
Yes, I had it august of '21. It was a rough "cold". My worst felling/concern was inability to "catch my breath" at night. That was two long nights. Overall I felt well enough to go back to work by day 10, but at that point my wife had gotten it from me so I stayed home with her. (her experience was quite different than mine, though I attribute some of that on her unwillingness to eat while sick) Not sure how to comment on the exposure question. I ran my business during the entire covid hysteria, was around my customers daily and weekly around other people in the same business. Never masked. Not "vax'd".

I would add that post rona I felt generally week for probably a month.(?) I was 48 and not it awful shape, but not good either. Also, I still have the cigarette smell every now and then. That is really a pita.

Yes, I had it august of '21. It was a rough "cold". My worst felling/concern was inability to "catch my breath" at night. That was two long nights. Overall I felt well enough to go back to work by day 10, but at that point my wife had gotten it from me so I stayed home with her. (her experience was quite different than mine, though I attribute some of that on her unwillingness to eat while sick) Not sure how to comment on the exposure question. I ran my business during the entire covid hysteria, was around my customers daily and weekly around other people in the same business. Never masked. Not "vax'd".

I would add that post rona I felt generally week for probably a month.(?) I was 48 and not it awful shape, but not good either. Also, I still have the cigarette smell every now and then. That is really a pita.
I get that cigarette smell every time I get a cold. I hate it. Glad to know I am not the only one.

I was finally bitten by covid yesterday. I felt fine in the morning but by the evening I had a strange sore throat and sinus symptoms. Two home tests confirmed it. So. I'm waiting for Kaiser to fill a Paxlovid prescription. In the meantime, besides a sore throat and sinus congestion, I have a runny nose, mild body aches, mild chills, malaise. Meh.

I'm vaxxed and fully boosted but my last booster -- bivalent -- was in June. I have no idea where I could have picked this up other than possibly/likely at the gym. No stores, parties, restaurants, offices, etc. Funny thing about the home covid test: I took two tests last night and the positive test line indicator lit up within two minutes. No need to wait (although I did) for the full 15 minutes to see the result.

Happy Holidays indeed!

Top Bottom Back Refresh