What's new

CRF450L /RL Mega Thread

I rode in the Daniel Boone NF today. It's been a while since I've been up there.
I was a little concerned since this is the last deer hunting weekend for modern gun season but it turned out to be no issue.
I talked to a few guys hunting, seen several side by sides, and seen several people just out camping in the forest.

It was about 35 degrees when I started out this morning.
20221126_104410.jpg

It's been really dry here but it allowed me to ride some areas I haven't been able to get into since spring

20221126_111529.jpg

It warmed up nicely into the upper 50's

20221126_121600.jpg

I was able to ride about 60 miles. A really good day for dual sporting.

20221126_134926.jpg

I got out today too kywoodsrider but wouldn't you know an hour and a half in flat front tire! On top of that I have not fully set up the new to me 450 w/tools yet so a low ride home on the back of the seat was how the ride ended.
Just picked up a Mosko 10 like yours and may pick ypur brain on heat shielding for the stock muffler.

I got out today too kywoodsrider but wouldn't you know an hour and a half in flat front tire! On top of that I have not fully set up the new to me 450 w/tools yet so a low ride home on the back of the seat was how the ride ended.
Just picked up a Mosko 10 like yours and may pick ypur brain on heat shielding for the stock muffler.
Bummer on the flat. Good news is the Mosko 10 will carry everything you need.
I also added the 2 liter bags that go underneath for hydration
I'll send some pics tomorrow

I didn't use any heat shield until I installed the Mosko 2 liter pouches under the holsters.
The right side hangs close to the muffler so I just used the Mosko heat shield with the hose clamp.

20221127_144243.jpg

I attached the back of the Mosko holster to the 2 threaded bosses under the fender.
20221127_144322.jpg

FYI
Here's my tool kit. I went over all the fasteners bike and only carry the necessary wrenches.
I think the 14 and 17 mm are only used on the swing arm linkage. I've debated eliminating them.
I could probably get rid of some of the allen wrenches.
Since the tools are the heaviest I carry these on the LH side.

20221127_152420.jpg

On the RH side I carry these items. I run the Tubliss system but still carry a 19" inner tube. I also carry a spare clutch perch and lever. Misc zip ties, JB Weld, bike pump.
Sometime I carry a small water purifier.
20221127_153246.jpg

All this weighs about 10 lbs. The Mosko system weighs 5 lbs. Add a bottle of Gatorade in each of the 2 liter pouches and your looking at close to 20 lbs total.
However I don't wear a backpack or use a tank bag.

I didn't use any heat shield until I installed the Mosko 2 liter pouches under the holsters.
The right side hangs close to the muffler so I just used the Mosko heat shield with the hose clamp.

20221127_144243.jpg

I attached the back of the Mosko holster to the 2 threaded bosses under the fender.
20221127_144322.jpg

FYI
Here's my tool kit. I went over all the fasteners bike and only carry the necessary wrenches.
I think the 14 and 17 mm are only used on the swing arm linkage. I've debated eliminating them.
I could probably get rid of some of the allen wrenches.
Since the tools are the heaviest I carry these on the LH side.

20221127_152420.jpg

On the RH side I carry these items. I run the Tubliss system but still carry a 19" inner tube. I also carry a spare clutch perch and lever. Misc zip ties, JB Weld, bike pump.
Sometime I carry a small water purifier.
20221127_153246.jpg

All this weighs about 10 lbs. The Mosko system weighs 5 lbs. Add a bottle of Gatorade in each of the 2 liter pouches and your looking at close to 20 lbs total.
However I don't wear a backpack or use a tank bag.
Very nice and well thought out. I love seeing the kits people put together. I'm relatively new at all this stuff so it's very helpful to see what others carry.

Why a 19" tube? I've heard a 21" tube can be used in the rear. Can a 19" be used in the front or does it have something to do with the Tubliss?

Also, do you think the clutch lever is still vulnerable even with the handguards? On my adventure last month I jettisoned my spare levers after installing hand guards thinking that they'd be protected enough. I did carry a spare shifter pedal though. I ordered a spare clutch cable but didn't wind up taking it.

A couple of things I didn't take nearly enough of were zip ties and electical tape.

Very nice and well thought out. I love seeing the kits people put together. I'm relatively new at all this stuff so it's very helpful to see what others carry.

Why a 19" tube? I've heard a 21" tube can be used in the rear. Can a 19" be used in the front or does it have something to do with the Tubliss?

Also, do you think the clutch lever is still vulnerable even with the handguards? On my adventure last month I jettisoned my spare levers after installing hand guards thinking that they'd be protected enough. I did carry a spare shifter pedal though. I ordered a spare clutch cable but didn't wind up taking it.

A couple of things I didn't take nearly enough of were zip ties and electical tape.
The thought is that a 19" tube will last longer in the rear vs a 21" and its large enough to stretch over the 21" rim.
It's been a while since I put a 21" in the rear but it only lasted about 50 miles.
Just to clarify, I have not personally fixed a flat with a 19" tube.

While handguards do a good job of protecting the levers there's no guarantee you wont break one. I carry the clutch perch because trying to ride out of a knarly off road section with no clutch could be very difficult.

I don't carry a cable but I do check my cable frequently and i do keep a spare. I have replaced 1 cable on my L. On a weekend trip I noticed the clutch needed adjusting several times. When I checked the cable only about 3 strands were still attached.
Back in the old days we used to tape a new cable to the one on the bike. I tried that on the L but it was just way to cumbersome.

The thought is that a 19" tube will last longer in the rear vs a 21" and its large enough to stretch over the 21" rim.
It's been a while since I put a 21" in the rear but it only lasted about 50 miles.
Just to clarify, I have not personally fixed a flat with a 19" tube.

While handguards do a good job of protecting the levers there's no guarantee you wont break one. I carry the clutch perch because trying to ride out of a knarly off road section with no clutch could be very difficult.

I don't carry a cable but I do check my cable frequently and i do keep a spare. I have replaced 1 cable on my L. On a weekend trip I noticed the clutch needed adjusting several times. When I checked the cable only about 3 strands were still attached.
Back in the old days we used to tape a new cable to the one on the bike. I tried that on the L but it was just way to cumbersome.
Thanks for the info.

I only took a 21" tube on my trip last month. I genuinely believe that I can replace a front tube on the trail... the rear however I don't know that I would have even tried. I really struggled both times I've changed my rear tire in my garage under ideal conditions. Getting a flat was my biggest concern on that trip. I didn't really have a plan if I got a rear flat, I think I would have limped it to a road and tried to figure out how to get it to a town and seek help. This is part of why I want to trade up to a 450RL for next season; knowing I'll have it for a long time I can invest in things like a spare set of wheels that I can fit with Tubliss and knobbies and still have a more streetable set for everyday use.

Where was your clutch cable frayed? I cleaned, inspected and lubed mine thoroughly before my trip. When I installed the hand guards I struggled with the cable and wire routing and decided it was going to be too tough to run a spare clutch cable and keep everything moving freely so I left it behind. I left more stuff behind than I actually took with me. :lol2 I'm still learning.

Here's my minimalist tool kit. There a few items not shown. I was very grateful for these tools when I had a water pump hose get knocked off on day 5.
2022-10-06 07.14.07.jpg

I know a lot of people don't like C02. I didn't test them before the trip. :nono
2022-09-29 23.38.07.jpg

Here's the pack on the fender. I used a thin tether hoping that if the pack detached it'd get my attention but not too much to be a hazard.
IMG_1094.JPG

I'll be going into next season with more experience and confidence. I can't wait.

Thanks for the info.

I only took a 21" tube on my trip last month. I genuinely believe that I can replace a front tube on the trail... the rear however I don't know that I would have even tried. I really struggled both times I've changed my rear tire in my garage under ideal conditions. Getting a flat was my biggest concern on that trip. I didn't really have a plan if I got a rear flat, I think I would have limped it to a road and tried to figure out how to get it to a town and seek help. This is part of why I want to trade up to a 450RL for next season; knowing I'll have it for a long time I can invest in things like a spare set of wheels that I can fit with Tubliss and knobbies and still have a more streetable set for everyday use.

Where was your clutch cable frayed? I cleaned, inspected and lubed mine thoroughly before my trip. When I installed the hand guards I struggled with the cable and wire routing and decided it was going to be too tough to run a spare clutch cable and keep everything moving freely so I left it behind. I left more stuff behind than I actually took with me. :lol2 I'm still learning.

Here's my minimalist tool kit. There a few items not shown. I was very grateful for these tools when I had a water pump hose get knocked off on day 5.
2022-10-06 07.14.07.jpg

I know a lot of people don't like C02. I didn't test them before the trip. :nono
2022-09-29 23.38.07.jpg

Here's the pack on the fender. I used a thin tether hoping that if the pack detached it'd get my attention but not too much to be a hazard.
IMG_1094.JPG

I'll be going into next season with more experience and confidence. I can't wait.
My clutch cable failed right at the end where it attaches to the lever.
I guess I shouldn't complain since it probably had 6-7000 miles on it.

Have you watched any of the tire changing videos on YouTube? There are several out there. I like the how to vids from RMATV.

Well, that was easy. Installation was a piece of cake. I had to bend back a tab on the bracket, but not cut it off. I only had to cut the rubber ECU cover to make way for the wires coming out of the new ECU. As soon as I hooked up the ECU, before putting the side panels and seat back on, I started the bike. It started right up without hesitation. So I put everything back on and took a quick ride to a gas station and then rode a few miles around the neighborhood just to get a feel for the bike now.

HO.......LEE.........COW!!!!!

What a difference!!

I was riding the bike stock and getting used to it. I was compensating for the snatchy, jerky throttle and all the flameouts at low rpm and when coming off the throttle. And I was happy with it. I guess you don't know what you don't know, you know?

For now I'm putting the brakes on any more upgrades. I was thinking about a Rekluse or Magura hydraulic clutch, if not both. I'm going to ride it as it is for a while. I think the new ECU is practically transformative. I didn't get to take the bike off road this evening, but I did some slow speed stuff in the neighborhood, stuff that would have required a lot of clutch before. The bike did everything I asked of it with ease. It's now behaving like any other bike would. Like my old KLX300 (when it was running) or XT250, but with twice the power of either, if not more. And I mean that in a good way. It's so much easier with the new ECU.

I got the toggle switch to be able to go between enduro/single track mode and race mode. There is a noticeable difference. The enduro/single track mode is smoother. It's sort of like the difference in feel between a WR250F (enduro mode) and a CRF250RX (race mode).

Thanks for the info.

2022-10-06 07.14.07.jpg

2022-09-29 23.38.07.jpg

IMG_1094.JPG

Mousses. Cut the valve out of a tube, and use it to periodically aqueeze lube inside your tire to keep the mousse happy.

Never worry about flats again.

When I replace my next rear tire on the 450RL, I'll be using a mousse. Ditto the front.

Road use? It's barely 15% of my riding. Tired of carrying tire irons and tubes.

Mousse for the win
Screenshot_20220822-234403_Gallery.jpg

Well, that was easy. Installation was a piece of cake. I had to bend back a tab on the bracket, but not cut it off. I only had to cut the rubber ECU cover to make way for the wires coming out of the new ECU. As soon as I hooked up the ECU, before putting the side panels and seat back on, I started the bike. It started right up without hesitation. So I put everything back on and took a quick ride to a gas station and then rode a few miles around the neighborhood just to get a feel for the bike now.

HO.......LEE.........COW!!!!!

What a difference!!

I was riding the bike stock and getting used to it. I was compensating for the snatchy, jerky throttle and all the flameouts at low rpm and when coming off the throttle. And I was happy with it. I guess you don't know what you don't know, you know?

For now I'm putting the brakes on any more upgrades. I was thinking about a Rekluse or Magura hydraulic clutch, if not both. I'm going to ride it as it is for a while. I think the new ECU is practically transformative. I didn't get to take the bike off road this evening, but I did some slow speed stuff in the neighborhood, stuff that would have required a lot of clutch before. The bike did everything I asked of it with ease. It's now behaving like any other bike would. Like my old KLX300 (when it was running) or XT250, but with twice the power of either, if not more. And I mean that in a good way. It's so much easier with the new ECU.

I got the toggle switch to be able to go between enduro/single track mode and race mode. There is a noticeable difference. The enduro/single track mode is smoother. It's sort of like the difference in feel between a WR250F (enduro mode) and a CRF250RX (race mode).
Great review! I’m really glad to hear that you like it so much.

You don’t know what you don’t know, now I know. :lol2 Thanks

Mousses. Cut the valve out of a tube, and use it to periodically aqueeze lube inside your tire to keep the mousse happy.

Never worry about flats again.

When I replace my next rear tire on the 450RL, I'll be using a mousse. Ditto the front.

Road use? It's barely 15% of my riding. Tired of carrying tire irons and tubes.

Mousse for the win
Screenshot_20220822-234403_Gallery.jpg
Good info. Thanks!

It would have made the long trip I did even more fun without worrying about punctures. I put a lot of effort into not hitting shit and when I did I cringed, especially when it made a sound different from what it normally makes when I hit shit. :D

Good info. Thanks!

It would have made the long trip I did even more fun without worrying about punctures. I put a lot of effort into not hitting shit and when I did I cringed, especially when it made a sound different from what it normally makes when I hit shit. :D
It's nice not having to worry about that. The 450 wheelies over obstacles easier. You just sort of think about a wheelie and it happens

I got to take my CRF450L out to the dirt with the AiM ECU. So happy I did that upgrade. It's a better bike all around. I'm not saying it was unrideable stock, like some folks say, but it's a much better bike with the ECU sorted out. I took the bike to work on Thursday to see how it is on pavement. Just fine. Fuel mileage suffers a bit, but it's worth it. The bike's not meant to be my daily commuter, so it's all good. And off pavement the throttle response seems perfect now. Over the weekend I only stalled my bike once, and that was on my CRF250RX, not even on the CRF450L.

Where I rode over the weekend was at the Escondido Draw Recreation Area in Ozona, TX. That's out halfway between San Antonio and El Paso, or thereabouts. Out in the middle of nowhere. I was hoping to get a good back to back comparison of the two bikes on this 7-8 mile course, but when I was riding the CRF250RX with these other fellows, one crashed and destroyed his radiator, so we cut the course short and made sure he got back to his truck. That was yesterday. This morning, I was by myself, and took my CRF450L out solo, but riding the same course. I'm not as confident riding the 450L as the CRF250RX. But part of that was the fact that I was alone this morning in the middle of nowhere, so I couldn't afford to take chances. Good thing, too. At one point I stopped to give my hands a rest, went to get a little water, and realized I forgot to put on my camel back. Really stupid mistake. Out alone in the middle of nowhere in West Texas with no water, no cell service, no brains!!

Here's yesterday on the RX:

Here's this morning on the 450L:

Last edited:
First ride on the tighter single track with the new ECU. This was the first time I had the confidence to take the CRF450L to the back of the property with some little climbs up and down through gullies and old river bed. So far, I've only stalled the bike once since getting the new ECU. Someone else with a CRF450L test rode mine on Saturday and says I need a flywheel weight and throttle tamer. No, I'm completely happy with it now. It's so much better than it was stock. On this ride, I was using the Enduro/Single track map for the stock exhaust.

I have sold several FWW for the R/L. For those who want it, So far they have been happy with it.

But, I have yet to ride a R/L with a FWW. Personally I'd want some seat time on a R/L to try one out myself.

I dont want to derail this thread, so Please join me over at my FWW vendor thread, where I can answer specific questions in more detail

Last edited:
First ride on the tighter single track with the new ECU. This was the first time I had the confidence to take the CRF450L to the back of the property with some little climbs up and down through gullies and old river bed. So far, I've only stalled the bike once since getting the new ECU. Someone else with a CRF450L test rode mine on Saturday and says I need a flywheel weight and throttle tamer. No, I'm completely happy with it now. It's so much better than it was stock. On this ride, I was using the Enduro/Single track map for the stock exhaust.

Looks like you're really starting gel with the 450 now. It only gets better from here.

Compared to my 300xc-w, I find that I need to look further ahead on tight singletrack. Then the extra weight isn't really a problem. Looking in front of the fender isn't helpful. Seriously, work on vision; pan and scan.

So great to see you enjoying the magic of this brilliantly engineered motorcycle. Gorgeous terrain btw

The bike as it sits now. It’s really only seen street miles on occasion in the last couple months, I’m ashamed to say. But seriously, what a machine. I just got the mini display installed, and that’s cool as hell. I had planned to put that on the small dash plate, and still might in the future. But the brake line is in the way of that, so I’m not sure. I also just put in an Antigravity battery. It’s great to have the restart feature if I zap the battery. But I really wish it had more amp hours. The factory battery had screwed up and lost a cell or something, so this smaller battery is WAY better than that. But the factory battery is 4 amp hours, and this new one is only 3. I wish Antigravity offered a stupendous overkill option with 6AH or so, since I tend to charge some stuff at night.

E64C8A34-0035-41F0-A8BC-5367ABF8A9BB.jpeg

A8EA9E43-352D-4C04-8FCF-7E9B84AE7A30.jpeg
922195A4-3863-4BE5-A1B0-32C60273CE97.jpeg
AA633CF6-B23F-4448-BD3A-072D1CE8A7AA.jpeg

Top Bottom Back Refresh