What's new

CT-70 problem

scottcolbath

Member Number
Is a CT-70 even a scooter? Close enough.

This bike I have in my garage has spark, compression, but won't even hiccup on a steady feed of starting fluid. What should I be looking at? I'd expect something. Anything. I get nothing.

S.C.

Is a CT-70 even a scooter? Close enough.

This bike I have in my garage has spark, compression, but won't even hiccup on a steady feed of starting fluid. What should I be looking at? I'd expect something. Anything. I get nothing.

S.C.

Timing? I don’t know how that is checked on that bike, is it a points ignition? Valve adjustment?

My guess is that either you aren't actually getting a spark when the spark plug is in the cylinder and under compression or the timing is way off.

Agree with above. Hopefully the compression is at least 120 lbs. It has points behind the flywheel/rotor and doesn't need a battery to run, it runs off one of the two alternator coils while the other is for the headlight. To get close, gap the points at .014". There should be an F mark for static timing that will line up with an index mark on the crankcase.

Timing is likely the issue.

This all started with the bike running fine, and over time/rides, degraded to the point it would run for a while and eventualy die. Then to the point where it would not even start on ether. This thing belongs to my girlfriend's son. He's 32 and doesn't know mechanical things.

Anyway, the compression test was on the low side of OK. It was at about 120 PSI. It's got stripped out screw heads on the side cover. I couldn't even get them out with my impact driver. Once I manage to get them out, I'm going right for the points/timing. Hopefully that corrects things.

S.C.

My first car had points and mechanical timing. I remember replacing the points and afterwards the timing would keep changing. I didn't know I was supposed to grease the points & cam and so they just kept wearing away.

Back
Top Bottom