What's new

Dark sided (a thread about scooters with car tires)

scooterguy

Member Number
I have been running car tires on my Yamaha Majesty for approx. 70,000 miles. The previous tire lasted 27,500 miles before showing significant wear. I have run car tires on my Vespa GTS 250 for 28,000 miles. For some reason the Vespa wears out the tires faster, I am only getting some 15,000 miles with the GTS 250. I started doing this about 15 years ago after having to replace the rear on my Honda Reflex 3 times in 1 year. In my experience I can say there is no difference in the way the bike feels when riding .
If you are tired of buying new tires all too often, I suggest you give it a try. The M/C shops will not mount the CT on your wheel, you will need to go to an independent car tire shop and they will do it for $20 or less. (For those of you that feel the need to criticize me for this, save your breath, I have heard it all before)
Tony in Tennessee

Fo sho bro!
4D69B2DA-CACB-4A25-A5D7-2FBCB117E06D.jpeg
0C17412A-AABE-4697-8021-A39431F70AD8.jpeg

Just dont put a square profile on the front unless its a sidecar. Even then it is questionable. The square profile front is rideable but the feel is crazy for 2 wheels. And riding along a side incline offroad takes more leverage to keep upright. But for a scooter rear....heck ya. Probably can't even tell the difference. Hmm this is new to me. Darkside scooter riderz. Yall got the scooter girls and darkside? Hmm I might have to recheck my scooter history.

Just dont put a square profile on the front unless its a sidecar. Even then it is questionable. The square profile front is rideable but the feel is crazy for 2 wheels. And riding along a side incline offroad takes more leverage to keep upright. But for a scooter rear....heck ya. Probably can't even tell the difference. Hmm this is new to me. Darkside scooter riderz. Yall got the scooter girls and darkside? Hmm I might have to recheck my scooter history.
Scooters “off road” isn’t a thing, yet......
I think i’m gonna try a 4.80x12 trailer tire on the back of mine. I’m tired of eating up rears.

Scooters “off road” isn’t a thing, yet......
I think i’m gonna try a 4.80x12 trailer tire on the back of mine. I’m tired of eating up rears.
Ya the rear should be great!
I was mainly talking about the front tire. And road crown has the same affect. I worked on trailers and trailer tires have a nice rounded profile..usually. Bias ply or radial to choose from plus load ranges.

Offroad scooting is another post.

While I'm hesitant to try a trailer tire, I've darksided almost all of my rides over the past ten+ years. Not all CTs are the same, and in my experience, pressures can make a huge difference. I found that higher pressures gave much better results, as far as wear, handling, and comfort.

Back
Top Bottom