What's new

DIP (rubber coat) your car wheels and other parts of cars/bikes

Bikerboy108

Member Number
i had a great experience using a rubber spray for my crappy ugly car wheels

DIP IT
My wheels on my CRV looked like Shat and my buddy kept saying why don't you paint them. BUT the thought of taking them off and either masking them or removing the tire, then lots of sanding, priming painting and waiting hours between coats left me NUMB. My friend had plastic/rubber coated a part on his motorcycle and I had read a lot about rubber coating various parts and/or whole cars and started to do some investigating on the net. Now depending on what part you do there a tons of “How To” videos on the net, I found the following to be most helpful in my case to do my wheels.
Rubber coating that is sprayed on can adhere to most all surfaces and hides a multitude of imperfections, is easy to use, pretty good on handling abuse AND when tired of looking at it or at the end of its life can be peeled off! Lots of spray paint companies make their proprietary brand. I used “Peel Coat” by Rustoleumhttps://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/peel-coat/ and the video above is by PlastDiphttps://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/ but again lots of companies make similar.
Reasons I liked using the rubber coating versus paint? Less Prep Work, Quick Drying Time, Numerous light coats that you can build up a coating that hides all the ugly imperfections of scale , flakes and dings, not a lot of overspray and produces a nice smooth finish. LEAVE THE WHEELS ON THE CAR !,,
So here is what I did 1. Clean the wheels with soap and water or cleaner till any grease and brake dust gone. Tire Shine the rubber tire so any overspray can be EASILY peeled off. Take a piece of plastic film and weave it behind the wheel to cover rotor and caliper. Spray multiple coats following instructions on can. When done peel off the overspray on tire and remove plastic film and drive down the road! It’s all spelled out in detail in the video I give it a 9.5 out of 10!!
NEVER SPRAY PAINT AGAIN…
Before
54DF53BA-B6CC-4EB3-9F7A-BDC21B5FA5A5.jpeg

After

E6B12E07-1D93-4EDF-8F25-300A251565C0.jpeg

Last edited:
I did some wheels before, they held up great for a couple years. I sold the truck with them still painted, I don’t know how much longer they lasted. I have some wheels that got pretty rusty, I painted them with rustolium oil based paint. Some of it has flaked off. I might have to give them a scraping and try plastidip.

I did some wheels before, they held up great for a couple years. I sold the truck with them still painted, I don’t know how much longer they lasted. I have some wheels that got pretty rusty, I painted them with rustolium oil based paint. Some of it has flaked off. I might have to give them a scraping and try plastidip.
The best part ? LEAVE THE WHEELS ON THE CAR ! It was easy ( look at video) done 100 percent in a couple hours.. I used a wire wheel on my drill to clean off flakes and rust..

Top Bottom Back Refresh