What's new

Dirt bike for kids

Ausfahrt

Member Number
So I'm probably a little ahead of the curve on this one but I've got twin grandsons that are currently still in diapers but growing fast. I want them to grow up to be moto guys and have already been looking at kid bikes.

As a Honda fan-boy, my first choice would be a pair of XR50s but they aren't $999 any more and used ones are just as pricey.:beccaI'm starting to think that a couple of Chonda 50s might be the way to go. I have seen and looked at SSR offerings in the past but I was underwhelmed by the quality that I saw on the showroom floor so that doesn't bode well for getting them dirty.

I got my kid an XR50 and slapped some training wheels on it. he's not a fan. he finds the gas motor intimidating coming from a PowerWheels. Not sure how old your grandsons are, but I'd almost suggest an electric one to start off with to get them used to it.

Electrics have come a long way. I have heard many stories about kids being intimdated by the growl of a motor. Oset makes some nice bikes.

We bought this sweet little GPX 90 for $600 from an inmate here 9 months ago

the 6 yo kid rides it, but the mom rides it most. Sorry no pics of the kid.

the GPX's are cheap as an entry bike, https://gpxmoto.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=5&product_id=61

ScreenHunter_3126 Apr. 25 10.00.jpg

PW50's have started many on their motojourney....

Yes they have, and I think it's a terrible way to start them.

Please lower your pitchforks.

My case is as follows- jr50, z50, xr50, kdx50...they all have a shifter for the left foot, and a brake for the right foot. Other motorcycles that offer this control set up is EVERY OTHER MOTORCYCLE.

Pw50- hand brakes, no foot controls. If the plan is to grow up and graduate to a honda ruckus, great. Otherwise, why teach one set of controls then switch? Additionally, my critter, when he started riding, couldn't reach the levers, let alone have the grip strength to squeeze them.

In conclusion- the pw50 is a flawed design. And the one on my back porch leaks a lot, and pwsonly is the worst retailer I've ever dealt with that wasn't an outright scam.

Last edited:
Wish I'd gotten a start like any of the kids in this thread, with real off-road equipment... I got started at 14 (didn't do me any good asking prior to it) on this
CA102.jpg

and wasn't allowed to ride it on the road until my father believed I'd mastered riding it in the sand of the defunct orange grove next door in Lutz FL

Thanks for the replies and recommendations.:thumb

As I stated in the original post, I may be a little ahead of the curve here but these little fellas have a way of growing up before you know it!

A Honda dealer in New England has this ad for a Honda 50 for $1649 on CL. I saw the same ad last year for 1499 but that's how it goes.
1649347665896.png

I may buy one now just to mess around with until the boys get old enough to ride. Here is a pic of the boys...
1649347954434.png

Thanks for the replies and recommendations.:thumb

As I stated in the original post, I may be a little ahead of the curve here but these little fellas have a way of growing up before you know it!

A Honda dealer in New England has this ad for a Honda 50 for $1649 on CL. I saw the same ad last year for 1499 but that's how it goes.
1649347665896.png

I may buy one now just to mess around with until the boys get old enough to ride. Here is a pic of the boys...
1649347954434.png
Best get after it. Prices wont be coming down on Motorsports items or tires for that matter

Machine tools too.
I'm shopping for a lathe, What was $3300 last year, is $4300 now.

I'll be selling off my XR50. Kiddo has zero interest in it. He wants an ATV instead. XR has training wheels and starts on the first kick. it actually starts better than any of the other vehicles in the garage.

I'll be selling off my XR50. Kiddo has zero interest in it. He wants an ATV instead. XR has training wheels and starts on the first kick. it actually starts better than any of the other vehicles in the garage.
where are you?

where are you?
A couple hours from you probably? I'm not sure my DR can hold the weight of the XR on the back of it. In fact I know it can't.

fsfsfs.jpg

I have it up for $1800 just because when I posted it, new ones were going for $2400 and none were in stock. All I really got were messages offering $800 for it telling me it was an overpriced piece of shit. :lol2

Reactions: MVI
A couple hours from you probably? I'm not sure my DR can hold the weight of the XR on the back of it. In fact I know it can't.

fsfsfs.jpg

I have it up for $1800 just because when I posted it, new ones were going for $2400 and none were in stock. All I really got were messages offering $800 for it telling me it was an overpriced piece of shit. :lol2
What year is it? It looks clean and well cared for. I'd be interested at $1200.

Reactions: MVI
What year is it? It looks clean and well cared for. I'd be interested at $1200.
200X. I kid you not the sticker on the thing is torn off at the last digit. I want to say its a 2001. THe previous owner put new bars, seat, and CRF plastics on it.

I just relisted it at $1800 and have three messages going as I type this. I'll see where it ends up.

My Kids had one bike between all three of them, and they used it in conjunction with two ATVs.
The Main starter bike as 3 year olds was a fantastic suzuki LT50 kids ATV, as the next one came up for starting i picked up an 100cc RX 100cc clone from mota roma, chinese taiwan perhaps it was very reliable. The youngest came up for starting and i got the Bike. A Chinese Cloned PY90 it again was faultless and was the only bike they all had until they started on real trials bikes at around ten years old.
I sold the PY90 and the 100cc ATV, but will not sell the suzuki LT50 its there for their kids to start controlling machines on when needed.

Back
Top Bottom