What's new

Do Rotopax have a shelf life?

palada

Member Number
I have a ~10 year old RotoPax for gas. It's lived in my garage empty most of that time but I want to use it for some remote riding in Apr/May this year. Is there a shelf life for these that I should be aware of? I don't want to find out in the middle of the desert.

Fill it up with gas and see if it starts "sweating" and if you get a strong gas odor out of it, it may be time for a new one...
I did this with all my jerry cans and ended up tossing all of them in the recycle bin, they were about 8 years old and used frequently as I ran a charter business...

Those rubber seals are definitely the first to go but I found that with age certain plastics become more porous and brittle even if they weren't exposed to UV. Here's to hoping the OP doesn't have to buy a new one.. :drink

I am surprised how well the RPAX hold up, even in sunlight. I have several red R pax and one White R pax for Water. All doing very well, thank you.

this is the official policy. Suggest you test the cans before you head into the desert like ZoomerP mentioned

We warranty RotopaX containers for 10 (ten) years and FuelpaX containers for 5 (five) years to the original purchaser against any manufacturing defect. Need to use your warrranty? You'll have up to 30 days after your warranty expires. If we issue a refund, you will see it in 5 business days.

Last edited:
I want to add, a month ago I took several Rpax's on a trip.

I left Fort Worth at 6am , it was 65F.
Arrived Big Bend at 3pm, it was 88F.

All the Red (GAS) RPax's were flat in the bed of the truck, swollen to the max, I burped them, and they were fine. These are 5 or 6 year old Units. If I get the full 10 years of use out of them, I wont mind buying new ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom