What's new

Do you deserve your New Bike ?

Super Dirt Dud

Member Number
The reason for my question is fairly simple as my name indicates I am a Dirt Dud of a rider .
At 63 I will never be great or really impress anyone so really a 2005 GasGas would make me almost as good as having a new bike .
I have been getting new bikes every year for a while now and I am sure they do not help my riding in a way that anyone notices .
So Why buy a New bike ? These are my reasons.
Last year it was a 200 Vertigo I picked up a used 2019 Beta 300 also both are sold .
Last years bike was a 177cc bike this years bike is a 225cc bike and I am getting to experience the evolution of them .
I have had a few Beta 200 a 125 Scorpa and a bunch of bigger cc bikes .
I have been spoiled b because my wife lets us spend most of our disposable income on 2 wheels and our dogs .
So I buy the new bikes because my wife of 40 years lets me and well it just makes me happy .
So I ask why do you deserve your trials bike ?

Back in 2015 Sherco Canada and my local dealer decided to sponsor me - not because I was the best rider (actually one of the worst local riders) but because they recognized my efforts for promoting the sport and felt I deserved a break on the price of a new bike. I have continued to do as much as I can do to promote Trials riding... so I am thinking I deserve another bike sometime soon (I may have to call the Vertigo importer as the 2023 200 is sounding pretty sweet :-) ).

Motorcycles have always made me happy and Trials bikes make me the happiest - The world simply needs more happiness - EVERYONE deserves a trials bike - unfortunately most people just don't realize it :-)

I'm 67 years old, and had a late start in trials a few years ago. I'm going to try and enjoy it to the most, and a new bike enhances the experience. Yes I could get along with just about anything and still have a great time riding. I'll be trading every other year while I can afford it. I love my '21 Beta Factory 200 and look forward to what may be next!?!

I bought a 74 Suzuki RL250. I had it for about a year. Fixed it up, and road it a few times. I decided I didn't deserve it, so I sold it to my buddy who lives in a neighborhood where he can ride it daily. He's had it about a month, and calls me weekly to say how much fun he's having. Perfect.

Tom, you worked hard in life, you can afford to keep trying new and different bikes, go for it. If anyone has anything negative to say about you sporting a new bike, it is just because they are jealous.

Sally and I had a similar conversation, when I got that 125 off of you. She was riding a 2005 Sherco 125, it was in really good condition. I wanted her to have the best bike possible. Since then we got her an electric start TRS, in the RR model. This is a hobby we just do for fun, having to deal with old equipment might reduce the amount of fun, I say ride the best and newest bike you can afford.

Tom, you worked hard in life, you can afford to keep trying new and different bikes, go for it. If anyone has anything negative to say about you sporting a new bike, it is just because they are jealous.

Sally and I had a similar conversation, when I got that 125 off of you. She was riding a 2005 Sherco 125, it was in really good condition. I wanted her to have the best bike possible. Since then we got her an electric start TRS, in the RR model. This is a hobby we just do for fun, having to deal with old equipment might reduce the amount of fun, I say ride the best and newest bike you can afford.
I've owned a TLR200, several TY175's and two new TRS's. It's my opinion, riding the best and oldest bike you can afford is as much (if not more) fun. :-)

I treated myself to a new to me '21 Beta as a reward for setting a goal of winning NMTA Amateur and IronMan. It took me 3 seasons but I reached that goal.

Did I need a new bike? No.
Did I deserve it? In my eyes, hell yes!
Should I have put that money towards the mortgage or other bills and just kept riding the perfectly good '16? Probably, but too dang late now! :clap

I've owned a TLR200, several TY175's and two new TRS's. It's my opinion, riding the best and oldest bike you can afford is as much (if not more) fun. :-)

I think the vintage bikes are cool but they are a different mindset. A new bike is about riding cutting edge technology, on a machine that is far more capable that we would ever be. The vintage bikes hold us back a bit. They are nice because they take us back by 25-50% in skill, so the obstacles that we are trying, are not as large. The cool thing about vintage is it showcases our skill and ability to tinker with an old machine and keep it running in top condition.

Last edited:
I deserve a new bike because I wanted one. And I am not mechanically interested enough to either stock a whole bunch of parts for things that might break, or worry that I might not get replacement parts in time for my next riding session. Plus an older bike just induces worry. I was willing to let my 2016 Evo 200 go for what now seems like a ridiculously low price in order to trade up to a 2021. Did I deserve it? Not really. Am I a better rider on the newer bike? Absolutely not. Am I happier? Yes, immeasurably, I absolutely love my new bike.

I'm not likely to be on the every other year trade in program. But if it can make sense financially to lose only $2K over 2 years, then that is $1K per year spent on this hobby which is a complete deal. And the fact that it comes with much less worry about stuff breaking, or bearings needing to be replaced etc. well that really seals the deal. Plus by changing out every 2 years you get to see some different flavors. I really would like to try a TRS electric start 250 next I think.

Now in California, because of the new law that prohibits off road competition bikes from being registered for use on public lands, many rushed out to buy 2021 models, the last year you can register. If nothing changes with this new legislation, many people will be stuck with their 2021 models, if they want a bike they can ride on public lands. Talk about an economic buzz kill.

I think the vintage bikes are cool but they are a different mindset. A new bike is about riding cutting edge technology, one a machine that is far more capable that we would ever be. The vintage bikes hold us back a bit. They are nice because they take us back by 25-50% in skill, so the obstacles that we are trying, are not as large. The cool thing about vintage is it showcases our willing and ability to tinker with an old machine and keep it running in top condition.
I agree with you. I'd like a "retro modern" trials bike. It would have the engine characteristics (big flywheel and mellow performance) of a vintage bike and the suspension, brakes and weight of a modern one.

I agree with you. I'd like a "retro modern" trials bike. It would have the engine characteristics (big flywheel and mellow performance) of a vintage bike and the suspension, brakes and weight of a modern one.

I have never ridden one but I have heard those Chinese 4stroke bikes are like that.

I deserve a new bike because I wanted one. And I am not mechanically interested enough to either stock a whole bunch of parts for things that might break, or worry that I might not get replacement parts in time for my next riding session. Plus an older bike just induces worry. I was willing to let my 2016 Evo 200 go for what now seems like a ridiculously low price in order to trade up to a 2021. Did I deserve it? Not really. Am I a better rider on the newer bike? Absolutely not. Am I happier? Yes, immeasurably, I absolutely love my new bike.

I'm not likely to be on the every other year trade in program. But if it can make sense financially to lose only $2K over 2 years, then that is $1K per year spent on this hobby which is a complete deal. And the fact that it comes with much less worry about stuff breaking, or bearings needing to be replaced etc. well that really seals the deal. Plus by changing out every 2 years you get to see some different flavors. I really would like to try a TRS electric start 250 next I think.
Before you get the TRS you can take my 2022 Vertigo 200 for a ride I am really looking. forward to this bike .I hope to ride Meridian this season .

I get a new bike when the old one is too knackered and too much of a maintenance drag that it is no longer enjoyable.

That said, I am very happy with my current ride, new in 2019, 6000mi, still feels like new and only needs fluids & filters.

once a year brakes, chain and tires. I can live with that.

ScreenHunter_757 Jan. 02 06.40.jpg

New every two.
I can afford it, and resale of the old one takes a real bite out of the cost of the new one anyways. I chalk it up to the cost of the sport. I’d much rather be on a new bike with no issues than to be fighting a clapped out piece of junk when I just want to be enjoying my hobby. I got too much time and effort invested in this sport to deal with headaches during the good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom