What's new

Do You Have a Cut Off Year on the GS You Would buy?

Don't buy an older bike if you don't know how to turn a wrench. Our local BMW dealer is not going to work on bikes older than 10-years and as of now, there are no independent BMW guys anywhere close by. I can see both sides of this, the service dept only have so many hours in a day and finding skilled mechanics has to be difficult.

I've started being kind of a wet-head fan. I like the motors, I like the wet clutch. Cruise is available for them.

Had a '17 RT that was pretty good and this '22 GSA is really fun. Both have their strengths. The early 1200's had some issues. I think the oldest I'd buy is '17. They are pre-TFT but had most of the issues worked out by then. Best of most worlds. I like Cruise Control, ESA and ShiftAssist. More interested in twisty paved roads than off-road stuff for a bike of this size. I always ride to events...no trailers. Low suspension GSA's are fantastic on street tires. I'd get another one of those. GSA has sharper steering...½ degree less trail on the front. The shorter shocks shorten the wheelbase and they really feel like a big super-moto.

Don't buy an older bike if you don't know how to turn a wrench. Our local BMW dealer is not going to work on bikes older than 10-years and as of now, there are no independent BMW guys anywhere close by. I can see both sides of this, the service dept only have so many hours in a day and finding skilled mechanics has to be difficult.
Surprising, Santa Fe BMW works on a lot of older BMW bikes. I think their main business is service, not sales. My 2008 R1200GSA is far from the oldest thing I've seen in there.

By the way, I ride a 2008 BMW R1200GSA. The bike only has one common flaw, which is the defective fuel strip sensor. Fortunately, with the help of the UK GSer forum, I was able to switch that to the float potentiometer used in the 2010+ bikes. I think I paid something like $6900 for it back in 2021, with full aluminum cases. Runs pretty well, and the electronics are more advanced than you would imagine for its age. I added traction control and TPMS (RDC), so there are no options left to add.

Admittedly, there was a big bike shortage at the time, so today I'd probably get something a little newer, but this model is actually lighter than the R1250GSA.

If I come across a clean '97-'99 R1100GS for a reasonable price I am all over it.

Top Bottom Back Refresh