What's new

Downsizing, how far will you go?

A KLX300 showed up at my local dealer last week so I jumped on it. When I had a KLX250 I'd take it and a street bike down to Tellico Plains and alternate days between street and forest service roads so I'll probably do that next week. I'm thinking of leaving the FZ09 at home this trip and seeing how much fun my usual run down 68 and 60 to Suches will be on the KLX. I know Deal's Gap is a hoot on a dual sport. Maybe find a way down there on mostly forest service roads and come back on pavement.

PXL_20220429_140621783.jpg
I was there last week on my KLX250. It handles the paved roads in the area just fine.

279220430_5732336406782497_4111834780957303198_n.jpg

My limit is getting lower by the year.
Around the year 2000 my limit was 1000cc. In 2012, when a nice new 2009 GSXF came my way for good price it was 650. I still miss that bike, but it was just too heavy, with suspension and brakes that are too basic for the speeds it can reach. In 2019 the limit was 350. I had decided to buy Yamaha XT 350 but what people wanted for worn out 20-30 year old bikes was just silly. So I lowered the limit and got 2017 CRF250 Rally. Few months ago I lowered it again and got Honda SH150 scooter. As I was riding it to work recently I thought. "I could do this on a 125". And as I was watching introductory video for Electrom (.ca) I thought that it could be fun to try.

Another thing is that current crop of small motorcycles has improved a lot since 20-30 years ago. The average new small bikes seem to have much better suspension, be more powerful, be five times as reliable, polluting 1/10 of what they did, and going nearly twice the distance for the same amount of fuel. Now they come with rider aids and extras like fuel gauges, gear indicators, fuel injection, ABS, keyless ignition switch, LED lights. Even the constantly increasing weight trend (with all the extra equipment) seems to have been reversed lately.

I’m pleasantly surprised with my new Versys x300. It’s everything I wanted to make my CBR250 into. My WR250 is another machine I’ve got no desire to sell.

I won’t soon forget pushing an old ST1100 on a hot summer day.
I bought my Versys-X 300 new in 2017. It replaced my BMW F650GS (800cc twin). Heading into season 6 and still grinning every time I get on.

As some have found, on twisty pavement I ride it faster than any of the bigger bikes I've owned in 56 years of riding.

...ken...

There was a guy who rode his versys-x to the rally in Tellico from Michigan last week. It's plenty big to ride cross country on.
I use mine almost exclusively on the highway. Too old and brittle for serious off-road any more. I usually do two or three 200 - 500km day trips a week with a couple of long-time riding buddies. We do a couple of 10 - 14 day trips out through the Rockies each year. I wouldn't hesitate to do a cross country on it.

But I love high revs... :-)

...ken...

It's bizarre that Yamaha dropped the WR250R since they seem to be well loved by their owners. That leaves Yamaha with nothing to compete with the KLX300 and CRF300L.
They do have the XT250 but dual sport bikes are selling really well. Yamaha would sell every WR250 they shipped over here. I was thinking maybe they would come out with a WR300.

I'm 64 now and my go to bike for the last 16 yrs is a r1100gs , I have a couple , and a r1150r. I like the old oilheads , they're easy for me to work on, and do all I want to do.

They are getting harder to handle as I get older. I've started thinking about the BMW r310gs . Do any of y'all have any experience with them, first or second hand ?

I'm 64 now and my go to bike for the last 16 yrs is a r1100gs , I have a couple , and a r1150r. I like the old oilheads , they're easy for me to work on, and do all I want to do.

They are getting harder to handle as I get older. I've started thinking about the BMW r310gs . Do any of y'all have any experience with them, first or second hand ?
I'm the same age as you. I had a 95 R1100GS which I bought in 94 and put over 87K miles on before it was taken out by Bambi. It was a great bike but no way would I buy something that heavy today. I would consider the 310GS. Someone I know who normally rides a WR250 had the chance to put some miles on a 310GS and was really impressed with the power. If/when I replace my Versys 650 I would probably get something like a 310GS.

My 95 R1100GS:

wknudsen_OLD%20PICS%20AND%20SCANS_lands%20end_zpsqki9w2tu.jpg

I finally got to ride the KLX I bought a couple weeks ago. I've bought a lot of bikes and other vehicles over the years but I don't remember ever picking one up with 0 on the odometer. This is how I started after unloading the bike when I arrived in Tellico Plains this afternoon.

PXL_20220501_193002717.jpg

I spent the afternoon scouting the Nantahala National Forest for dispersed camping spots for when our camper van gets completed this Fall.

PXL_20220501_202330028.jpg

I sold my last dualsport 7 or 8 years ago and forgot how fun they are. I got hungry because I'd skipped lunch today so I hopped on the Cherohala Skyway to get back to Tellico for some dinner. I pretty quickly gained confidence in the knobbies on pavement and maintained a pretty good pace. The only downside is the lack of passing power when I'd lose momentum behind a car. I still managed to pass several Harleys.

I'm thinking of ditching the fender bag. I'd always used them in the past to carry a tube and tire irons but I don't remember it being so disconcerting how much the fender vibrates carrying that weight. I hate to give up the room in the tailbag though...

I'm the same age as you. I had a 95 R1100GS which I bought in 94 and put over 87K miles on before it was taken out by Bambi. It was a great bike but no way would I buy something that heavy today. I would consider the 310GS. Someone I know who normally rides a WR250 had the chance to put some miles on a 310GS and was really impressed with the power. If/when I replace my Versys 650 I would probably get something like a 310GS.

My 95 R1100GS:

That looks just like my ole '96. It's my avatar. My son has taken it over:dirtdog

My 95 R1100GS:

I tested the 310 in ca 2018 and found it to vibrate a lot. But that was comparing to my 4 cylinder GSX650F, which I think has the best motorcycle engine ever made. The 310 seat was nice, there was decent power, but you need to rev it a bit. Basic for a BMW. Luxurious compared to the competition. Low price for a BMW. It was near top on my list. I ended with a CRF250 Rally, that was for sale for the right price at the right time. If I need to replace that I'll look at the 310 again.

Added a sidecar to the stable 10 years ago on a whim, great addition. Started with a Ural (!) and upgraded to a moderate displacement sorta custom build a few years later. Excels as a grocery getter and minivan, big bonus is stability - yeah, I'm retired and aging. Actually rekindled my love of riding aimlessly and just enjoying the day, achieving the speed limit on winding country backroads in the area became my days challenge.
Sold my GS and downsized several times until I ended up with a CB500X for light off road and general two lane riding. Sidecar rig handles multi state multi-day travels well enough and certainly doesn't encourage minimalist packing. Spent the time and money to set it up properly so it handles decent and drives well.
Been shopping for another bike to add to the stable, three is my self imposed limit, and am surprised by the evolution of my criteria.
Originally I "decided" upon a sub liter sports tourer - wind protection, luggage, frequent day trips primary consideration and suitability for 5-6 day travels when desired. Moderate displacement and weight being critical factors.Tired of 4 cylinder buzz, v twin just didn't trip my trigger. Found several flavors to fit the bill - BMW 900, Yamaha 900 the main ones. Totally intrigued by the MotoGuzzi v7 850 but no dealers anywhere near me, same with a few other more exotic choices. Triumph 660?
After lots of test rides and written out notes, spreadsheets, watched video review, etc I am admitting my criteria is evolving. I just don't really want to mess with all the weight, mass, and plastic. Insurance, maintenance, accessories, fuel. Ego no longer demands I be able to hold my head high when I ride past Starbucks.
REALLY starting to lean towards a scooter or an electric bicycle!
WTF!
Not sure I'm ready to honestly be seen riding a scooter but the idea doesn't immediately make me gag and retch. Electric bicycle? Cost as much as a decent small motorcycle! Still want one.
If I was to replace my CB500X I'd definitely consider the latest crop of excellent 300 CC machines.
Toying with the idea now of a new Honda Trail 150 and a bumper hitch for the pickup for when the photographer wife and I go off on photo expeditions.
What a long strange trip it has been.

Last edited:
Not sure I'm ready to honestly be seen riding a scooter but the idea doesn't immediately make me gag and retch.
I think that living in NC which allows "Likker cycles" might have tainted your views of scooters. Scooters are way more fun than most people realize. I know a lot of people who decided to try a scooter because they were getting old and the light weight and ease of use of a scooter appealed to them. Once they tried a scooter they almost all had the same reaction: "why didn't I try this years ago"

For the last three years I have set up a scooter rally in Maggie Valley. To me it feels very similar to the HSTA rally's I went to years ago. Basically it's a sportbike rally except everyone is on scooters and we don't hit triple digit speeds. The roads we ride are twistier than what most sportbike riders normally ride. You are welcome to come and see what scooter riding is all about: https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/2022-beat-the-heat-planning-thread.1531963/

This is what scooter riding can be like:

P8100150 (2).JPG

Top Bottom Back Refresh