What's new

Downsizing, how far will you go?

It's SO much fun to not have to:

1. figure out how you're going to pick it up by yourself.
2. wrestle it through a 30-point turn on a narrow track...on gravel.
3. watch the fuel gauge sink to 'E' as multiple cylinders go on a feeding frenzy.
4. ask for help from bystanders to muscle it onto the center stand with panniers, camping gear, and a full fuel load.
5. tip-toe backwards on a freshly-dieseled service station drive.
6. watch the sidestand foot melt into the simmering asphalt.

I miss my 1200 twin MG, but a little less each day of my new relationship with Sujata:

20220708_111419.jpg

I think a Honda XR400 would be the answer for me but they don't make them anymore and second hand are stupid prices. Maybe there is something from China. Just want light, no plastics, easy and simple to work on, minimal electronics

It's SO much fun to not have to:

1. figure out how you're going to pick it up by yourself.
2. wrestle it through a 30-point turn on a narrow track...on gravel.
3. watch the fuel gauge sink to 'E' as multiple cylinders go on a feeding frenzy.
4. ask for help from bystanders to muscle it onto the center stand with panniers, camping gear, and a full fuel load.
5. tip-toe backwards on a freshly-dieseled service station drive.
6. watch the sidestand foot melt into the simmering asphalt.

I miss my 1200 twin MG, but a little less each day of my new relationship with Sujata:

20220708_111419.jpg
The more I see the Himmy, the more I feel like it's the absolute ideal ADV bike. Air cooled, simple, straightforward, big enough to be comfortable, small enough to not kill you if it falls over, afordable, easy to service, and they seem to be reliable. Compare this to something like a new GS: you need a second mortgage to buy the damn thing, it weighs 600lb, has more power than the space shuttle and just as many electronics. I'm not sure I understand the drive to make bikes bigger, more complicated and more powerful every year. Look at what the GS was when it started in the 80s -- people laughed at the idea but the bike was simple, capable, comfortable, and had enough power to go where you wanted and a chassis that took in stride. Reminds me a lot of the new Himmy.

The more I see the Himmy, the more I feel like it's the absolute ideal ADV bike. Air cooled, simple, straightforward, big enough to be comfortable, small enough to not kill you if it falls over, afordable, easy to service, and they seem to be reliable. Compare this to something like a new GS: you need a second mortgage to buy the damn thing, it weighs 600lb, has more power than the space shuttle and just as many electronics. I'm not sure I understand the drive to make bikes bigger, more complicated and more powerful every year. Look at what the GS was when it started in the 80s -- people laughed at the idea but the bike was simple, capable, comfortable, and had enough power to go where you wanted and a chassis that took in stride. Reminds me a lot of the new Himmy.
I have five riding friends who have Himalayans. They are much more capable bikes than the spec sheets would indicate. If you want to compare a Himalyan with a BMW it would be more comparable to the G310GS than one of the big BMWs.

If you want to compare a Himalyan with a BMW it would be more comparable to the G310GS than one of the big BMWs.
Oh, I'm aware of that. I was more pointing out that what the big GS is now is a perverted caricature of what it started as, and the Himalayan is honestly probably a better choice for a lot of people. However, far too many people think they NEED the giant expensive GS to do any ADV riding or touring.

Oh, I'm aware of that. I was more pointing out that what the big GS is now is a perverted caricature of what it started as, and the Himalayan is honestly probably a better choice for a lot of people. However, far too many people think they NEED the giant expensive GS to do any ADV riding or touring.
Yeah, I agree with you. I still remember in Nathan the Postman's epic ride report he parked his little Postie bike next to a fully farkled and heavily loaded GS. It was pretty funny and I'll bet Nathan was on a much longer and more epic ride.

However, If you want to knock a lot of highway miles and be able to carry a lot of stuff the big GS works pretty well. I bought a R1100GS in 94 when it was first introduced. It was actually a really good sport touring bike which is what I used it for. If I was looking for an adventure bike today I'd be looking at much smaller bikes. Big bikes like the GS make sense for some people but I think many people would be better off with a smaller bike.

I started in 1971 on a Honda CB100 and have owned 86 motorcycle since then. My current bikes are a Super Tenere and a Tenere 700 and I’ve pretty much sworn off any bike that weighs more than 600 lbs fueled up but not loaded. My next bike may be a BMW R1250GS……..not the Adventure. It is possible I’ll end up on a small bike like I started with.

Agree. About’ 87 at Road Atlanta I snagged several laps on an 80gs demo. Decided then I would buy one when I could. By the time I had $, garage space, etc. they were way gone elsewhere. Not PC, but dancin’ with fat partners will no do.

I will say that my ownership of a Kawasaki Versys-X 300 for three years and 31000 miles was a great experience. It ran great, felt lighter than it was, and was low maintenance. It makes an excellent do it all bike for almost anyone who wants to downsize.

I would buy another Versys 300 in the future.

I will say that my ownership of a Kawasaki Versys-X 300 for three years and 31000 miles was a great experience. It ran great, felt lighter than it was, and was low maintenance. It makes an excellent do it all bike for almost anyone who wants to downsize.

I would buy another Versys 300 in the future.
I could see someday replacing my Versys 650 with a Versys 300 or something like it.

I dropped my Versys 1000 a couple of years back, and couldn't get it up on my own (no sniggering at the back there!). I made myself a winch/Jack to help should it happen again, but there is a little voice niggling at the back of my mind. I now tend to ride my 650 Transalp more. Its sad, but I guess it comes to us all. My little DL250 is getting lots of miles too.
That's what she said

Is it downsizing if you keep the road king but buy a klr?

My current ride is a 03 GL1800. Up until this year, the size hasn't been an issue. Back and knee problems have kept me off it since May. And a lot of it was from trying to move it around.
I'm not a small guy, 275 pounds, but i've been looking hard at the Royal Enfield Scram or Himalayan. Was eyeing a XT250 pretty hard, but at my weight, that might be a bit small.

Putting a bike on a center stand doesn't concern me. Picking it up if I drop it is! Not only is a heavier bike harder to pick up, it is easier to drop:muutt
Yeah, Nah.

69 in 3 weeks time and dropped my 2014 GS three weeks ago for the first time.

Had BIL on pillion on motorway and had to stop uphill at turnoff and the extra weight on the back plus poor footing caught me out.

Killed motor left it in gear backed the body up to it and picked it up. Don't even remember it being heavy. Amazing what adrenalin will do and the embarrassment of dropping the bike!!

Me, yes a Himalayan or a Yamaha 700 maybe when Bertha just gets too much of a handful.

Yeah, Nah.

69 in 3 weeks time and dropped my 2014 GS three weeks ago for the first time.

Had BIL on pillion on motorway and had to stop uphill at turnoff and the extra weight on the back plus poor footing caught me out.

Killed motor left it in gear backed the body up to it and picked it up. Don't even remember it being heavy. Amazing what adrenalin will do and the embarrassment of dropping the bike!!

Me, yes a Himalayan or a Yamaha 700 maybe when Bertha just gets too much of a handful.
I hear ya. I've been eyeing the Moto Guzzi V85TT as a replacement for my '07 GSA when the time comes. It's nearly 100 pounds lighter and only has 85 hp instead of 125+. I know that an 850 may not exactly be considered downsizing but I'm a big guy too and I think that it would work for me. The fact that it's nearly half the price of a new loaded GSA doesn't hurt either.:nod
1668349723020.png

I hear ya. I've been eyeing the Moto Guzzi V85TT as a replacement for my '07 GSA when the time comes. It's nearly 100 pounds lighter and only has 85 hp instead of 125+. I know that an 850 may not exactly be considered downsizing but I'm a big guy too and I think that it would work for me. The fact that it's nearly half the price of a new loaded GSA doesn't hurt either.:nod
1668349723020.png
The Italian know art

I predict you will love the V85TT. I spent some time on one and it handles and rides like a much smaller bike.
Of course, there's nothing like a Twin and MG has that part nailed. (Long-time owner of 1200 Norge GT)
Shaft drive is a huge plus, as well.

1668349723020.png
They are a sharp looking machine.

Back
Top Bottom