What's new

Drz400 Mega Thread

Xicor

Member Number
How is this not posted yet? Let’s see those 400’s!
4887EC05-DB0F-4D05-BFB0-21BA3CC061ED.jpeg

I don't have any current pictures, but here's my '08 from when I bought it 5 years ago:
nc_ohc=7hZunPriCQEAX-XzOY8&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.jpg

It came with:
Aftermarket Brake light
LED Rear Turnsignals
Yosh pipe
3x3 mod
Carb Jetted
Suspension Done
Handguards
Handlebar risers
Geared deeper (15/51 vs 15/44 stock)
Lowering links (that I immediately swapped back to stock)
And a box of stock parts.

did the eastern have of the TAT, about six years ago. Haven’t done the western yet. I hope to some day.

I know the popular mod is to throw on a FCR39 pumper on an S bike. However, I'm trying something just the opposite. Putting on the BSR36 on an E model. Reasons being, my son is using this for dual sport more so than strictly off road. The FCR slant body would only yield about 35 mpg which had him hitting reserve at approx 140 miles on a 4 gallon tank. The stiffer throttle return spring on the FCR would cause his hand to cramp up on long slab rides.

I did go ahead and install jd jet kit into the BSR and so far, with very limited testing, the bike still pulls strong, and will hopefully deal with altitude changes this summer on our trip out west better than the FCR has.

Time will tell, but I think this may be the right decision for us.

I know the popular mod is to throw on a FCR39 pumper on an S bike. However, I'm trying something just the opposite. Putting on the BSR36 on an E model. Reasons being, my son is using this for dual sport more so than strictly off road. The FCR slant body would only yield about 35 mpg which had him hitting reserve at approx 140 miles on a 4 gallon tank. The stiffer throttle return spring on the FCR would cause his hand to cramp up on long slab rides.

I did go ahead and install jd jet kit into the BSR and so far, with very limited testing, the bike still pulls strong, and will hopefully deal with altitude changes this summer on our trip out west better than the FCR has.

Time will tell, but I think this may be the right decision for us.
I am a giant sucker for spending whatever one of the forums I’m on tells me to. I was thinking hard about the FCR. Then I was thinking about the apparent magic of the Lectron. In the end, I just did the normal 3x3 thing, jet kit, and gearing. I am not a demanding rider, but this bike is a blast this way, in my opinion. It hauls my 250 lbs around great, has fewer dead spots in the throttle than it used to, and handles elevation much better than it has any right to.

So, anyway—the stock S carb gets more hate than it deserves, in my opinion. Racer types are on a lighter bike offroad, and a heavier bike onroad.

Now, back to blowing money on other stuff…

The DRZ really is the definition of dual sport. Now, to only get that 6 speed or wide ratio 5.
Yep. I really do contemplate swapping out the transmission gears. I think there’s a lot of meat on the bone to make it better onroad while sprocketed for the trails. I was just getting at the constant threads about the FCR seem to be about getting the most responsiveness out of the engine on trails. My lazy ass loves the lazy power on the trails. So forgiving, not trying to kill you, and works surprisingly well with elevation changes.

Edit—and I’d love love it to be a 6 speed. If they came out with a new one next year, I’d go buy it, then lament that it wasn’t the old lazy, forgiving, capable brute.

Back
Top Bottom