What's new

Dual Clutch Transmission...

post what you want. link is fine

just follow the rules

eyes.gif

Just announced that Honda is bringing a "bagger" version of the Rebel 1100 DCT (called the Rebel 1100T) to the US market:

It's been about 6 months since any activity on this thread; over a year now and about 9,000 miles on the CTX with the Dual Clutch Transmission for me. Honda recently released the Rebel 1100T - the "T" is for touring and this bike is only available with DCT in the US. It is getting a lot of attention from content creators. Honda gave some of these folks the 1100T to use for 4 days, giving them the chance to get a real feel for DCT, beyond the typical 30 minute test drive that some of these people use to form their on-line opinions.

The reviews have been favorable. Including from one outspoken Rebel 1100 owner who is an avid YouTuber... and who originally declared the DCT a "thumbs down"... he came around, now.

After spending the past year riding the heck out of this bike, I am enjoying the advantages of the DCT even more! We spent 3 months last summer in the Black Hills, riding those great twisty roads almost every day. A couple months this winter in the Phoenix area, where I used the bike more as my "commuter" to get from one end of the Valley to the other a couple times a week... including plenty of traffic and highway riding.

A very enthusiastic thumbs up for the bike (CTX) and the Dual Clutch Transmission.

03CTXhUSE.jpg

Currently riding in the Tropical Tip of Texas (note the mesh gear)...

06JimH.jpg

Has the DCT ever not done as you wished? I can see how it might occasionally get caught out in full auto mode on dirt, but on pavement, I'd expect it to do well. I've read your earlier posts, so this is more of a question of it has ever let you down, or made you wish (if only briefly) for a traditional clutch.

Have fun in Texas. If your plans include riding through Big Bend Country on the way home, you'll hit it just before the big heat starts.

So far, the DCT has always performed as expected. I have read that some people have had an issue with it if they shut the bike down while in gear; I make it a point to put the bike in neutral before turning it off. On the rare occasion I have hit the kill switch before going to neutral, the bike has put itself in neutral when I turn the key on again.

I am a road rider - on the occasion of finding myself on gravel or dirt, it hasn't been a problem. With the low seat height and forward foot position, dirt is definitely not this bike's forte'.

You can switch between Manual/Auto and Drive/Sport while on the fly. Around town, I'm usually in Drive Mode; Sport Mode the rest of the time. I rarely use Manual Mode, but do use the paddle shifters to downshift while in Sport Mode in the twisties. The DCT has been a pleasure. A year in, I don't give it much thought, unless a DCT discussion comes up... I ride, I use it. It works. I've learned to not say, "I'll never switch," but the DCT really suits me.

A couple years ago, I thought the 2020 Vespa GTS 300 HPE would be the "last bike." About 12 minutes after I got that, Honda came out with their Rebel 1100. It was all the discussion about the DCT on that bike that got me interested. Mine is the previous generation DCT, so I'm sure the latest version is even better.

I bought an Africa Twin DTC 3 years ago and I am very happy with the performance. The programmers at Honda duplicated the actions I would take in sport mode about 95% of the time.

" A DCT can't see ahead to know what gear to be in". That was a good chuckle!

Two bikes with Ray Charles model DCT here; couldn't be happier with them.

" A DCT can't see ahead to know what gear to be in". That was a good chuckle!

Two bikes with Ray Charles model DCT here; couldn't be happier with them.
I have to laugh when people are dumb enough to say something like "It doesn't shift when I would," on video. Use the paddle shifters, dumas. I am a big fan of the DCT. I was riding my CTX down Main Street in Sturgis today - sure was nice to just twist the throttle with all that stop and go.

Exactly, DCT shifts at the exact moment it needs to. Calculated from load, RPM, throttle, etc. It may not be in right gear entering the turn but it'll be in the right gear when you throttle out of it.

I think gripes about DCTs are more psychological than based on physical characteristics or performance. If someone's concept of riding is predicated on manually shifting gears, no DCT will ever be satisfactory, no matter how it works, and more power to 'em, I say. It's nice to have a choice, and we should enjoy being able to choose while we can, since TPTB are eliminating our ability to choose every day.

I think gripes about DCTs are more psychological than based on physical characteristics or performance. If someone's concept of riding is predicated on manually shifting gears, no DCT will ever be satisfactory, no matter how it works, and more power to 'em, I say. It's nice to have a choice, and we should enjoy being able to choose while we can, since TPTB are eliminating our ability to choose every day.

Yep. Options and choices are a good thing. I would never suggest that DCT is for everyone and every bike. I rode manual transmission bikes for decades... until getting that first scooter 10 years ago, and this DCT equipped CTX last year. I believe I would have been less accepting or curious about DCT if not for the scooters I rode. Shifting has to be part of the experience, right? Only if the owner/rider thinks so.

I was curious about DCT, and the best way to satisfy that curiosity is to use a DCT equipped bike long enough to understand it, and know if it is right for you. For me, DCT isn't an oddity or a convenience - it is a better way for me to experience the ride. But, I didn't get that on the first ride or even the first week. It took spending some extended time on some great roads to appreciate what the DCT brings to the ride experience. Honda seems entrenched enough with having it on different models that it is an option that will be around. At my age, this might be my last bike... of course, I have said that on the last 5 bikes... but IF there is another bike, I would hope DCT is an available option.

I have to laugh when people are dumb enough to say something like "It doesn't shift when I would," on video. Use the paddle shifters, dumas.
I have to laugh when people are dumb enough to think DCT's are a performance feature. Because they can manually shift. Even more funny are the jokers who think dct bikes can win a race of any legit metric because they don't have to shift.

GL forum dct squawkers wax fantasy all the time about beating sportbikes light to light. It must be hard for them to tell a ninja 250 from a liter bike.

It's right up there with talking about trail braking on a bike with linked brakes.

Dct doesnt have anything going for it in terms of performance. That's where dct fanboyz get all moist. It's really hard for them to accept being told they bought the civic option of motorcycling.

Tell me you don't ride slow on straight roads without telling me you dont ride slow on straight roads.

Those of us who appreciate performance and see motorcycling as a human machine interface will continue to look down on the tech and its users.

If you ride a dct, good on you. Everyone rides their own road. Go ahead and call dct critics a dumbass. We look at dct riders the same way, it's all good.

Hey, JohnQ - thanks for your comment. Seems that you inferred some things that I did not say. As far as performance, I didn't say that a DCT bike would (or would not) out perform the same bike with a manual transmission. I would have to have the same bikes with each transmission to know that... and I don't. I have had the same "human machine interface" discussion with Jerry H over on the Battle Scooters forum, and it is a pointless discussion. Each of us rides (and enjoys) differently - seems that we agree on that point. You are mistaken in saying that DCT is the "civic (sp) option of motorcycling": a Dual Clutch Transmission is NOT an automatic gearbox, it is a mechanized dual clutch gearbox. Seems that most often when "critics" of DCT speak against it, they have no actual hands-on experience with it, or have only used it on a demo-ride. I am long over anyone "looking down" on anything I do. I do what works for me. As far as I can see, you didn't really add anything to the conversation beyond getting butthurt over the fact that I said...
I have to laugh when people are dumb enough to say something like "It doesn't shift when I would," on video.
Nothing to do with performance, racing, or anyone "beating sportbikes light to light." I never said it. I said, "It works for me... a better way (for me) to experience the ride."

I don't get wet or even moist when I talk about DCT. Just relating my experience with it. Let me know when you've spent some quality time (like a year or so) with a DCT equipped bike and we can have an intelligent discussion.

Top Bottom Back Refresh