What's new

Electric Motorcycle News.

Amos Malone

Member Number
I was going through my regular list of electric motorcycles on the market, that are actually owned by some people. It's still only Energica, Zero and Livewire. I guess BMW should also be there since they are selling a "big" electric scooter (E04) but even the designers find that hard to love. BMW also had the now discontinued C-Evolution.

What else is coming and will not be total vapourware?
[UWSL]Piaggio should be above since it has the 50cc size scooter (Elettrica) for sale. It has announced bigger version (1). No clear delivery date.[/UWSL]
[UWSL]Kawasaki might become a leader here. It has announced 3 electric bikes for delivery in 2022. Ninja 250-400cc sized electric motorcycle, plus an E-scooter and dirt bike. [/UWSL]
Yamaha has announced an E-scooter (E01) in 125cc size for 2022. 50cc size (E02) will follow later.
Honda has had prototype electric PCX since 2019. It was supposed to have been on the market already, but I cannot find it for sale anywhere, nor any user reviews except for the actual prototypes. The specified range was also really short. They have announced E-CRF in the mini dirt bike (kiddie) category.
Kymco introduced RevoNEX at similar time. That was an evolution of the earlier SuperNEX. Neither has been seen recently. Kymco has said it will be built in unbuilt factory in Italy. So evidently there are some steps they need to take before they can start to sell it. Shame really, I saw that at Eicma and really liked it.
[UWSL]Kymco supposedly has reached some sort of agreement with Harley Davidson regarding possible LiveWire replacement. I just hope HD doesn't pull an Alta on Kymco. [/UWSL]
Super Soco is supposedly already on the market. I saw some user reviews in 2020 but nothing since then. They're supposed to be really cheap too.
Suzuki has been working on battery standard with the others of the Japanese Big Four. So far they have made no announcement for electric motorcycle. A scooter is rumoured to be in the works.

Then we have Sur-Ron. Lightweight dirt bike.

If you want electric bikes today an electrically assisted pedal bike might be your best bet. :hide

Yamaha has introduced the E01 electric scooter in the 125cc class. Deliveries expected in 3rd quarter 2022.
The E01 is similar in size to the NMAX, to within an inch in most dimensions, powered by an electric motor capable of delivering 8.1 kW (NMAX 125 is just under 10 kW) at 5,000 rpm and 30.2 Nm of torque at 1,950 rpm. It's unclear if this is max momentary power, or sustained power output. Energy is stored in the non-removable 4.9 kWh lithium-ion battery. Speed is electronically limited to 100 km/h. Which incidentally is also the range. At least when it's warm and the wind is in your back. There are 3 options for charging. From 1 hour to 80%, at Yamaha charging station, to 14 hour overnight charging (using a separate charger, while being parked in your living room (or garage)). A 5 hour charging option is also available. This does limit charging options in apartment buildings. Having the battery non-removable means it can be stored more creatively, so there is a 28 liter storage area under the seat. Weight is not mentioned so it's most likely a bit on the heavy side compared to the NMAX.
In a fresh marketing approach (sigh) the scooter will not be sold. It will be leased to those willing to be guinea pigs and have all their usage gathered for "analysis and future EV development". Most likely the scooters will be recalled and destroyed after something like 3 year lease period is over. Makes me wonder if they've heard about the GM EV1 about a quarter of a century ago :hmmmmm. Lease programs will be available in selected countries in Asia and Europe. This means however that if hamfisted riders destroy the batteries, motors or whatever, Yamaha will not have to cover them under expensive warranty, they can just break the lease and take the scooter back. And they will know exactly how the riders destroyed them.

Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 19.14.43.png

Last edited:
Harley Davidson LiveWire will introduce the S2 DEL MAR™ LE model today. Edit. This has been delayed to the 10th.
Here is a screenshot of a concept image. Will it be a Zero beater? Time will tell.

2022-05-04 14_28_04-Harley-Davidson’s LiveWire teases electric motorcycle launch for next week...jpg

Last edited:
In the dirtbike arena:
KTM Freeride-E exists (I have one. Friend liked it so much he found & bought one too.)
KTM SX-E 5 exists for young riders.
You mentioned the SurRons already (I have two - for the wife & kid's X160 (yeah right! The souped up one is totally nuts when turned up to 11.))
OSET (we used to own a 20R for the kiddo but its old tech DC drive. Even the baby SurRon x160 totally outclasses it.)
Stark Varg is coming. :wings
Edit:
Talaria (sort of like a Surron)
Drill One
Cake

Last edited:
Energica has introduced a new "Experia Electric Sport Tourer". New frame, new motor (probably the motor they developed with Mavel), new batteries.
100 hp motor. 22 kWh battery. 0-80% charge in 40 minutes. And the other stuff you can expect from the technological leader of electric motorcycles.

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 14.45.41.png

OEM's have tons of money invested in tooling to produce the bikes they've been selling. Electric is still niche. I don't think it's unfair to think the OEM's may be getting their ducks in a row in case the hammer drops and they HAVE to start producing electric bikes, but they're not jumping head first in to spending tons to tool up for electric only to see it not be the thing some people think it might be.

All these concept/prototypes, I think we're seeing preparedness mixed with a bit of, "hey look at us being green and progressive" to cash in on some good PR in the meantime.

Harley Davidson LiveWire will introduce the S2 DEL MAR™ LE model today. Edit. This has been delayed to the 10th.
Here is a screenshot of a concept image. Will it be a Zero beater? Time will tell.

2022-05-04 14_28_04-Harley-Davidson’s LiveWire teases electric motorcycle launch for next week...jpg
I didn't know HD and Livewire were separated like this now. Clicked the link, all 100 of them are sold out, it says.

Good for them. They certainly weren't selling many, it seems.

There is some reason the big manufacturers have not offered electric bikes yet. I think it's mostly risk aversion. Bringing out a new (to them) driveline system is perceived as unknown and therefore risky. Might endanger the managers and board members bonuses. It could also be that it would be a big disruption in the company structure to go over to electric. Manufacturers like the Japanese big four are very big on structure and stability.
There is also that motorcycle manufacturers usually only design the frame, engine and bodywork. They manufacture very little of the bike themselves. Most parts and subassemblies come from first level suppliers (OEM) with contracts that can take a long time to renegotiate.
Suspension, steering, brakes, ABS system, tires, wheels, dash, etc. are the same, no matter if the motor is IC or E.

[UWSL]Maybe the bike manufacturers are waiting for OEM like Bosch to offer them a drive system solution.[/UWSL]

[UWSL]Yamaha has developed complete drive system for electric cars. It shouldn't be too difficult for them to scale that down for bikes. [/UWSL]
Yes 'n no.

I mean, mostly agreed about risk aversion. But then again the company that makes bikes for folks who think loud pipes save lives had the nerve to bring out an electric so go figure. They even brought out an ADV bike!!! Holy fuck, are we gonna see guys with novelty beanies on adventure bikes now?? Remember, this is the company that put up with Buell's shenanigans but the retail shops ostracized the product. Once burned, fuggit?

And we've learned some really weird shit from ICE development on the race track. I don't just mean how air flow, carburetion or combustion works, how to make cylinder liners survive or or to keep valves from floating. I mean stuff regarding power pulses, how traction works, how that works into frame, suspension, steering, etc. And in the car industry (also trains, etc.) lots has been learned about electric propulsion too. The fun stuff like how to control the potentially absurd amounts of torque, versus ICE development that just focuses on more power and shaping the delivery curves some.

Different animals and not all the anatomy may translate so cleanly.

On the other hand, as Telsa fanbois won't STFU about, that company is teaching the industry some things about development and lead times.

Another thing is that the bike styling still needs some work. Cars, the engine is not a visual feature except for a small handful of exoticars (and owners who like to open the hood and stare at stuff). Bikes, most of that stuff is unavoidably hanging out in the open and nobody wants to look at an IBM PC-AT and a Bernoulli drive. Oh hell, some manufacturers still added unnecessary fins to water-cooled engines just to give some folks a comfortable, familiar visual reference.

Some of this may just take some time. Cars today are looking more and more like futuristic renditions from 1960s sci-fi flicks and it's not giving anyone fits like it would have (ehrm, did) in the '80s.

Maybe it's fitting that the brand that probably cares the least about how "how air flow, carburetion or combustion works, how to make cylinder liners survive or or to keep valves from floating." "power pulses, how traction works, how that works into frame, suspension, steering, etc" and more about adding visible bling (the other stuff is solved by displacement and added weight) is the one who has successfully marketed electric bike. With the motor very visible and they even added cooling fins.

"Spanish electric motorcycle manufacturer" OX has announced new "affordable adventure motorcycle" called Patagonia.

2022-06-20 13_50_11-Window.jpg

With 100 km of range and 5 hours charging time the adventures might not be the longest. I still welcome all new bikes in the segment.

Some details have leaked about Ducatis forthcoming Electric Motorcycle V21L. This will replace Energica as the spec bike for the FIM MotoE racing series.
As can be expected from a racing bike it will have dash of power, 110 kW (147 hp) and 140 Nm (103 lb-ft) of torque. A top speed of 275 km/h (171 mph) on a test circuit in Mugello, Italy.
Battery back is a large 18 kWh while the weight (of the V21L prototype) is 225 kg (496 lb). That’s a significantly less than Energica Ego’s at 282 kg (621 lb). The battery and motor/inverter have a shared double circuit liquid-cooling system.

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 08.17.42.png

Some details have leaked about Ducatis forthcoming Electric Motorcycle V21L. This will replace Energica as the spec bike for the FIM MotoE racing series.
As can be expected from a racing bike it will have dash of power, 110 kW (147 hp) and 140 Nm (103 lb-ft) of torque. A top speed of 275 km/h (171 mph) on a test circuit in Mugello, Italy.
Battery back is a large 18 kWh while the weight (of the V21L prototype) is 225 kg (496 lb). That’s a significantly less than Energica Ego’s at 282 kg (621 lb). The battery and motor/inverter have a shared double circuit liquid-cooling system.

Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 08.17.42.png
I thought ducati was already supposed to be the moto e supplier? Were they supplying energicas? Either way this looks like a great bike!

I ran into a guy named Tim Marchinda at a motel in Lewisburg WV riding a Zero. I had just walked of my room as he rode thru the parking lot, no engine noise got my attention. It looked like a superbike but it had a belt, I thought WTF is this. I talked to him bout half an hr. He's a real nice guy, answered all my stupid questions.

That is the only electric motorcycle I've ever seen. I was impressed.

What? Triumph Project TE-1 Electric motorcycle.
When? Nope, see "How much " below.
How far? 160 km
How fast? 0-100 3.5s.
How much? Haha. One off prototype. Some design features could be used in a future electric motorcycle from Triumph.
How heavy? 220 kg.
How long? 20 minutes 0-80% charge.

All else aside, it looks sort of nice.
Screenshot_20220721-224622_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Energica has introduced a new "Experia Electric Sport Tourer". New frame, new motor (probably the motor they developed with Mavel), new batteries.
100 hp motor. 22 kWh battery. 0-80% charge in 40 minutes. And the other stuff you can expect from the technological leader of electric motorcycles.

Screenshot 2022-05-29 at 14.45.41.png

so long as the battery will get me to Starbucks and back, I’m in!

Last edited:
According to RideApart Zero has applied for type approval for the forthcoming DSR/X. Which gives us some ideas about the bike. Motor will be new permanent magnet (which I don't like because it takes so little to destroy them). Battery will top at 17.3. Weight is too high. I'm sure Zero fans will love it.
Screenshot_20220812-080519_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom