What's new

Electric Okay or Die Hard ICE?

The way I look at it, state taxes are all going in one pot. If fuel tax revenue is lost due to EVs avoiding the pump, that money has to be made up somewhere, whether it be spending reductions or increased taxation elsewhere.

I'd rather talk about the original topic than tax policy and the evils of EVs, though.
More places to ride and no paperwork equals a sales boom. I would rather ride across town under shade trees on a bike path than be stuck in gridlock. But I would just pedal and skip the whole extra mess. So no ev for me. And if so..I will build it myself under federal e bicycle law which ensures right to travel.

The money has to come from somewhere to maintain and improve the roads. Setting aside whether or not the tax system is fair amongst the various users, not taxing vehicles that use the roads is pretty dumb.
True that things need maintenance, but not all of those extra taxes go where they are supposed to. However, I doubt a bicycle has the same impact on a road as a truck does...

I'm not opposed but not interested in current offerings and definitely don't want to be forced one way or another. I've been known to say that sooner or later, we'll be dealing with all the dead batteries also, kind of kicking the pollution can down the road.
S. Korea had a huge problem with what to do with millions of cell phone batteries a few years ago, looks like now those are being "mined" for usable lithium to create new EV batteries. I'd call that encouraging at least. I don't know the particulars about how EV batteries are made and if lithium "wears out", etc. so maybe my concerns about thousands of tons of used batteries are pointless.

Check out evalbum...lots of vw conversions with manual transmissions. The builders prefer the manual. The site has a nice search feature..where battery and motor type can narrow the results. Lots of s10 and ranger builds too.
Back in 2005ish I followed the build of an EV Jeep Cherokee the retained its original manual transmission. It was fun to watch it evolve over the years. I imagine this kind of build would be vastly different if done today. I'll definitely check out evalbum.
xl_jeep05.jpg

I really don't believe any production EV will ever have a manual transmission. Society is lazy and the manual has already pretty much been removed from all vehicle line ups. Heck, you don't even need to manually shift some motorcycles today!

I am not anti EV or anti anything that works, and above all energy types that actually work is the key factor here.
It is all over the Press here in the UK we are all EV after 2030, now if that means only EVs on roads ic banned, or only new cars and bikes must be EV i have not read or understood as yet.
Now the crux / the reason why i have not looked into the 2030 all EV facts.?
Well its not like i can ever see EVs as they are right now ever working for me on so many different levels its not funny.
And right mow in the conversation to get it out of the way, i am of the opinion the whole ati ic pro EV deal is totaly pointless and EVs are simply not the answer to help our planet now or anytime in the future if EV technology does not change radicaly and that includes the power generation nightmare that is set to hit future generations and all because the bright sparks who knows where exactly decided EVs were the way and drove us like sheep up this EV road nightmare.
WHY? Why are we even considering EVS WHY? Its obvious to this northern lad it can never work and the tech just is not thee yet and it wont save the planet anyway.
The Greens i supose and the politicaly vote hunting parties and politicians of this world are to blame and at the end of it all Money will be the reason, and exactly how they can get a hold of more of our money the real driver of the EV deal, i doubt the environment really factors in the equation at all in reality once you scratch a little and look under the surface of this nightmare so cleverly discuised as a must for out stressed planet.
No! Its just not the answer and no matter how many modes your tesla model number whatever has in its dance repertoire and how fast it is its still not the answer for the planet period.
Back to EVs or how EVs are up to the present day at least.
The Battery tech despite some improvements
is simply not there yet, and the motors and controllers as good as they are consume the poorly stored limited range of power at a impractical rate if you are dragging these overweight EVs over distances at highway speeds.
The power pack issue needs solving Now , not bring into place EV compulsory laws and manufacturing, with the woefully unacceptable systems currently available today.
Get the basics there first, then look at the EVs again.
The way it is right now is manufacturing fed by clever money and riding a green horse has thrown money into the problem and is creating EVs that look the part and seem to work in some circumstances acceptably. But the power pack issue is really not there yet.
Next up,.... what do we acctualy want here, what is the end game? is it about zero emmissions proper or about killing off ICEs to go all EV to give a all new bite at the financial cherry not seen since the days of the model T ford and old Henry.
Why EV ? Toyota are not buying into it and Hydrogen looks on the face of it a more practical system than the crop of EVs we are looking at right now.
And what about dirty diesel? It needs no fosil fuel and it was concieved on a diet of peanut oil replenishable and i acept the modern fuel systems would need detail mods perhaps for the original peanut oil but will indeed run already on bio diesel.
Emissions ! I hear you cry. Certain veg oils have low dangerous HCs and couple this with common rail fuel tech and if set up for Emissions and with a bit more science in the exhaust filteration than the curent crop of DPFs and pig pisss ADD Blue tech we might just allready have it with ICEs tgoday. i never did get why diesels never made it to bikes, on ADV bike especialy it would be awesome and really has the range and good MPG deal covered.
So EV or ICE it has to be at the moment in history ICEs the EVs perhaps one day but right now its just a lifestyly statement not the real thing to get a big boys job dome on the long mile heavy motorways.
Sort the power pack issues and get them lightweight same as a tank of gas and same range cheap as diesel and low cost power pack replacement down the road, and i will look again. but right here and now ill stay IC no doubts whatsoever.

So back to the original post... hubmotor hondas with pedals vs a gas bike such as the "new" carb non abs xr150l. I find this comical on many fronts. I guess whatever makes you happy and gets your knees in the breeze with a smile on your face is what counts the most.

True that things need maintenance, but not all of those extra taxes go where they are supposed to. However, I doubt a bicycle has the same impact on a road as a truck does...

Bicycles, ey? Here the government provided a 600EUR discount when purchasing an electric bicycle because it's "environmentally friendlly", whereas for a regular bicycle you pay the full price.
Think the current powers scrapped the deal, but it's mere existance in the first place just goes to show that as soon as "green" goes in the common sense goes out.

I wish more effort could be put into finding efficient ways to recycle lithium batteries now that we put them in almost every product being produced.
As far as I understand the main problem with taking care of used batteries is that it's very expensive and that leads to problems in the long run.
Either someone has to pay a lot for battery handling and lose profit, or the stuff ends up at landfills in africa...

I wish more effort could be put into finding efficient ways to recycle lithium batteries now that we put them in almost every product being produced.
As far as I understand the main problem with taking care of used batteries is that it's very expensive and that leads to problems in the long run.
Either someone has to pay a lot for battery handling and lose profit, or the stuff ends up at landfills in africa...
Sodium ion is a thing and read some place its cheaper and a new challenge to lithium ion, but dont know anything other than glancing at the write up i saw.

On a sidenote, I just read the news that one of the ferry lines in norway is banning electric and hybrid vehicles on their ferries because they can't handle possible battery fires.
Maybe this new sodium tech will help to solve the problem of difficult-to-put-out fires and hazardous gases.

On a sidenote, I just read the news that one of the ferry lines in norway is banning electric and hybrid vehicles on their ferries because they can't handle possible battery fires.
Maybe this new sodium tech will help to solve the problem of difficult-to-put-out fires and hazardous gases.
That‘s hilarious as Norway is one of those countries that wants everyone to go EV……🤣

I searched Google for videos with "Battery Breakthrough" in the title. It found nearly million individual videos. I guess the battery future is bright.

I searched Google for videos with "Battery Breakthrough" in the title. It found nearly million individual videos. I guess the battery future is bright.
Try earth and gravity batteries. Very old technology. Or piezo tech which is almost 150 yrs old. Anodes and cathodes is very old technology. Possibly 1000s of years old. Colckwork and flywheels might be the future as it is a newer technology.

It's all true, there's no way big tech is working with the government to try and herd people in the "right" direction :lol3

Bright is good but going dim is not bright at all, and remember historicaly and even in the high tech modern era, power pack weight is a big negative in Ev Power, and if you want range that goes with more weight. Not good we need light long life cheap battery tech to make the evs real ICE competitors.

Back
Top Bottom