What's new

Electric start

Yinzer Moto

Member Number
The intent of this thread is not to focus on the TRS bikes but it is where it will start. I want to talk about what other companies are coming out with it and where it will take this sport.

I remember when KTM introduced electric start on the 2 strokes. Some people actually removed the parts, to return their bikes to kick only. I know of a few people who have disabled the electric start on their TRS. Now, 15 years later, you will have trouble finding a kick start only dirtbike on a trail ride.

Sally got a electric start trials bike last summer and says it is wonderful. I just got my bike and I have never touched the kicker. I know people will say that bikes are easy to kick and it is no big deal. They are right. The same way drum brakes and cable clutches work really well.

So, the topic of this discussion, who is bringing out electric start soon?

There are rumors that Vertigo are going to release it but I have not seen any photos.

Indy Trialer mentioned in the Scorpa thread, Sherco is redesigning their motor, will it included an electric leg?

GasGas is owned by KTM, I heard a rumor of a big redesign for 2023.

I heard Beta has the next 10 years of their graphics already printed, so we may not see a redesign till 2032. :lol3

S3 has the kit for the Montesa, who has that and how well does that work? That seems like a bike that really could benefit from the happy button.

I wouldn't want a button only trials bike. Some of the places I've been and stalled the bike... let's just say I don't wanna carry a 150 bike that far to try and bump start it after a battery failure.

I wouldn't want a button only trials bike. Some of the places I've been and stalled the bike... let's just say I don't wanna carry a 150 bike that far to try and bump start it after a battery failure.

I can see that concern, many dirtbike manufacturers have gotten rid of the kicker completely. It is rare to hear of someone having difficulty because of that.

I had this bad experience with a Sherco SE125 Enduro bike.... When Clay Stuckey was the Sherco Enduro importer, he sent me a new '18 125 to ride and evaluate. It was button only with no way to even install a kicker. I was riding it in early February and hadn't been on the trails since December. I was stopping a lot, to clear trail of limbs and other debris. I'd stop the bike with the kill switch, but typical Euro bike had some full street switch gear. I didn't realize that the lights were staying on, and it killed the battery. I had to push that bike up a muddy hill twice, to get it bumped started. I wouldn't ride it without a jump pack after that!

I can see that concern, many dirtbike manufacturers have gotten rid of the kicker completely. It is rare to hear of someone having difficulty because of that.
Has the battery tech gotten better in say the past five or so years with more than just lead acid being available for bikes?

It will be interesting to see a new 2T estart trials motor, that is designed that way from the start. I just said to Mike Komer the other day, that I hope Beta doesn't build a new trials 2T engine with right kick! It better have estart or I'm screwed!

The TRS did a nice job, compared to KTM or GG for adding the starter to a motor that wasn't designed that way. The integration of the starter in the design of my '18 Husky TE150, is miles ahead of my '12 Husaberg TE250 or '16 KTM 200XC-W.

Has the battery tech gotten better in say the past five or so years with more than just lead acid being available for bikes?
I work in the battery business. Lithium is the technology coming in these days. Faster charging, more cycles, and super light weight. Some batteries have Bluetooth so you can see it's health on your phone. More expensive yes. Of course, they can't be recycled efficiently yet. They'll explode at the lead smelters. 😬

The TRS is 4 pounds heavier because of the estart. If Honda could design a reliable system, they could eliminate all of the kick start related components and maybe only have a 2 or 3 pound weight gain.
I’m not against e start. But Honda shouldn’t add it to the current 4RT and I’d never put the after market one on. I’d rather they get closer to the FIM minimum weight then add the e start. Now if they did both I wouldn’t mind that. But I’m thinking that would make the bike more expensive and likely delicate. Luckily it is super easy to kick.

Back
Top Bottom