What's new

Elka/Fastway Steering Dampener Rebuild

java230

Member Number
Anyone done one of these? My new bike has one and its puke a bit of oil. I cant find anything on them (rebuild wise) online.

Not sure its doing jack, so I may just dig into it....
51900267913_83b6293180_b.jpg

If you can't find anything useful there, I'd email Fastway. You may need parts from them anyway.
All just user manuals. I did Google to my best extent before posting 😊

But I will email them!

So, I actually do have a Fastway branded one of these sitting on the shelf. Probably needs a link arm and a reseal. It seems like Fastway as a brand has nearly ceased to exist online since Covid set in. How did sending your unit in work out for you? Worth your time or should I just invest in another Scott's?
I'd rather just buy parts for the thing and do it myself.

So, I actually do have a Fastway branded one of these sitting on the shelf. Probably needs a link arm and a reseal. It seems like Fastway as a brand has nearly ceased to exist online since Covid set in. How did sending your unit in work out for you? Worth your time or should I just invest in another Scott's?
I'd rather just buy parts for the thing and do it myself.
Have not sent it in yet. But email came back from pro moto billet, whom I have never had any issues with!

I too wish I could just do it myself. But without knowing what I am getting into, it might be easier just to send it in

Have not sent it in yet. But email came back from pro moto billet, whom I have never had any issues with!

I too wish I could just do it myself. But without knowing what I am getting into, it might be easier just to send it in
I just rebuilt one of my Scotts last week or so. They're not as complicated as you would think internally. I guess If you've had good customer service experience with them the best thing I cna do is call and see what's up. Thanks.

I just rebuilt one of my Scotts last week or so. They're not as complicated as you would think internally. I guess If you've had good customer service experience with them the best thing I cna do is call and see what's up. Thanks.
Cant say I have needed CS with PMB. Just their parts are always very nice. Maybe I will crack it open and take a look.... I saw the Scott's instructions, and there are custom gaskets in there. If the Elka doesn't hove those it should be simple. Orings and shock oil....

Cant say I have needed CS with PMB. Just their parts are always very nice. Maybe I will crack it open and take a look.... I saw the Scott's instructions, and there are custom gaskets in there. If the Elka doesn't hove those it should be simple. Orings and shock oil....
Definitely. The usual leak spot on either damper model seems to be the shaft seal. If the shaft seals in the elka/fastway/pmb are O rings or some kind of generic hydraulic rod seal maybe we'd be in business. Worth a try I suppose. you're not out anything when the worst case scenario is sending it off for $75 :D

Pulled it off. Pretty simple. Fluid looked like old atf, which is exactly what no had in mind to out back in.

Orings except the lower shaft seal.... It's a square seal with two lips. It looks like it has leaked a little in the past, but I don't even quite know what to call one to look for it.
20220417_193540.jpg

20220417_193844.jpg

Found a local seal supplier. Walked in 20 seconds later I had a replacement quad ring seal.

Got home to reassemble. I have almost 600 Orings. And not the size I need 🙄

20220420_114003.jpg

20220420_194706.jpg

Back
Top Bottom