What's new

Ever heard of lube between tire and tube?

Alan F.

Member Number
I just found a thread over on Thumpertalk.com discussing the use of lubricants between tubes and tires, and not just for tire mounting. Two products are mentioned, Red Rubber Grease, and Crisco Vegetable Shortening. Apparently the rubber absorbs these products over a short time without even heat cycling the tire, and there is the idea that a tire & tube will benefit from the use of these types of products in the event of a puncture.
I looked it up and apparently it's pretty common in agricultural settings. Has anyone ever heard of this?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1318596-red-rubber-grease-verses-crisco/

I grew up doing the baby powder thing. Wasn't really sure why, but it's what Dad taught me to do so I stuck with it. I quit doing it...6 years ago? I asked Dad why and he couldn't tell me either. It's just what he was taught as a kid 😁 I can't tell a difference with or without to be honest. I crawl around in Virginia woods with 5psi. Desert guys, rock guys or fast guys might have different needs.

The powder definitely doesn't make a mess, so it can't hurt. If I'd go so far as to start actually greasing tubes, and have to deal with that much mess, I would be inclined to just run a mousse.

Just had a thought. I never once heard of anyone powdering a tube in a street bike. Or tractor, or trucks. Only dirt stuff.🤔

I powdered tubes on my CB160 last year, it worked really well. I'll be changing tires on 4 bikes this year so any tricks worth learning will help. I've got the Vevor knock offs of the motion pro bead breaker irons and the (knock off) baja no-pinch tool, and a couple of bead buddies and a pile of cheap rim protectors. I'm pretty confident that I can get it done, I'm just inexperienced is all.

Experience comes with time, but confidence is all you need. It's easy to overlook when you're fiddling with another part, but just remember to keep the bear down in the drop center and you'll do fine.

I grew up doing the baby powder thing. Wasn't really sure why, but it's what Dad taught me to do so I stuck with it. I quit doing it...6 years ago? I asked Dad why and he couldn't tell me either. It's just what he was taught as a kid 😁 I can't tell a difference with or without to be honest. I crawl around in Virginia woods with 5psi. Desert guys, rock guys or fast guys might have different needs.

The powder definitely doesn't make a mess, so it can't hurt. If I'd go so far as to start actually greasing tubes, and have to deal with that much mess, I would be inclined to just run a mousse.

Just had a thought. I never once heard of anyone powdering a tube in a street bike. Or tractor, or trucks. Only dirt stuff.🤔

Why ?

It makes my tubes and hands smell nice

:hide

I powdered tubes on my CB160 last year, it worked really well. I'll be changing tires on 4 bikes this year so any tricks worth learning will help. I've got the Vevor knock offs of the motion pro bead breaker irons and the (knock off) baja no-pinch tool, and a couple of bead buddies and a pile of cheap rim protectors. I'm pretty confident that I can get it done, I'm just inexperienced is all.

Practice, Practice, Practice. Use a good lubricant and as other say, keep the tire centered in the rim.

The other day I put a new knobbie on the CRF. I was back in the house in like 8 minutes ( wheel was off the bike already ).
Wife asked how it was going, I simply said, all done.....

I buy in bulk...
ScreenHunter_3924 Oct. 02 09.38.jpg

I don't know if this is true but a pretty knowledgeable retired auto mechanic once told me the need for babypowder came about back when tires and the tubes were both rubber, the friction especially when the tire was low on air would slowly wear the outer layers of the tube off where it was rubber to rubber contact, he mentioned tire roll on the old bias ply tires as a contributor also, said the powder helped keep the temps down also but he made it sound like they put allot in a car tire. You can still purchase natural rubber tubes so there's that. Not sure if I believe him but I have seen balled up rubber between the tube and tire in a few instances. Some companies recommend powdering the tube and others don't mention it. It wasn't a thing where I grew up so I've not tried it. Does it help you mount the tire and avoid pinching the tube or is it a lubricant during the life of the tube like the old guy indicated? I still run tubes on one bike and when they fail it's because there's a rusty nail sticking out of it but I know of others using alum motion pro rimlocks and they wore through two tubes on a Baja trip.

That does make sense.

I've gone to only running natural rubber tubes. I don't really get pinch flats, but I'll occasionally get a thorn or barbwire puncture. With a natural rubber tube it just leaves a pin prick that I can easily patch and continue on with my day. I swear my current tubes have a dozen patches each, front and back. Gets expensive throwing them away. With synthetic tubes, they rupture. They're basically the same material as a party balloon ( just thicker) and you know how those explode when poked.

I haven't had any trouble with my Motion Pro ultra light rim locks chaffing ( hard, blue plastic ones), but they certainly last longer and grip the tires better than the old rubber ones. Haven't seen the solid aluminum ones. They bite good enough that I don't need dual rimlocks anymore, which is a blessing. But I'm a lowly woods crawler and probably don't work stuff that hard.

Top Bottom Back Refresh