What's new

F800GT front brakes

Well, I decided to give Galfer 1054 pads a try. They are semi-metallic, GG friction rated, and supposed to be a close match to the OEM pads. Whatever is in there currently feels too grabby to me, so hopefully these are more progressive, especially with the new rotors. I should get time put this stuff on in the last week of March.

So I finally got my brakes replaced last week. I did the work on Wednesday but didn't get a chance to ride it until yesterday.

The low speed surging while using the front brakes seems to now be completely gone. I have a few pictures of the new rotor setup I'll try to post later this week. The new rotors make a pretty loud whirring noise while I'm using the front brake in any capacity, but I'm assuming this will quiet down as everything beds in. I do have a new high frequency vibration that only occurs, while braking, between 25-15mph or so. I think this might also be due to the brand new rotors wearing/bedding in, because I have no vibrations or surging at any other speeds. Brake performance feels very progressive and strong -- so for I'm happy with the feel of the 1054 pads on the new rotors, but a lot of reviews mentioned these pads dust like crazy, and I'm already noticing that with just over 100 miles on them! That may be an issue, particularly if it gets bad enough to gum up the calipers. We'll see.

Some pics of the new hardware finally (right after I installed it, so the discs aren't even marked yet):

New discs have an extra triangle-shaped vent hole the OEMs didn't have:
qxSqCUO.jpg

Close up of the mounting bobbins. There is a big flat washer between the disc and the wheel, the new supplied bobbin passes through the disc and has under its head a wavy spring washer, then a another flat washer against the disc. Reused the stock bolts with new loctite. When I removed the old bolts I cleaned them with a brass wire brush to get all the loctite off, and I ran an M8 tap into the each mounting hole on the wheel to clean out the old loctite. Before I put everything back together I checked to make sure the old bolts threaded in cleanly and smoothly by hand.

I will say there was some confusions that made this job take longer than it should have. Namely, Galfer included ten small flat washers and ten wavy spring washers with each disc. The best instructions I could find for mounting were only for the wave rotors on a BMW, not the regular round ones like these, and those instructions very clearly said to only use five small flat washers and wavy spring washers on each disc, just on the outside, under the bobbin, like in the photo. Not entirely trusting that, I played with measurements and my calipers for about an hour deciding if a matching pair of washers should be on the other side of the disc too. Atfter determining that there was essentially not room for this to be possible, I installed per the directions for the wave rotors, and now have leftover washers and wavy washers should I need to do the install again.
O9NuhIH.jpg

Not even scuffed in this photo, but I've since put >100 miles on them. Still bedding in -- gonna take a long ride today and see if the slight vibration band between 25-15 gets any better as everything mates together.
qORNurK.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom Back Refresh