What's new

Firewood makers

May I ask what's the rate for a load that size? Sold some sycamore, elm, hackberry, pin oak and cottonwood saw logs earlier this year, bugs me the tops are going to waste. I think I see some river birch and hackberry in there. :hmmmmm:thumb

I finally
That's very nice!

I have a cheap axe that I need to rehaft. I use a maul and hatchet for my recreational (and therapeutic quite frankly) firewood chores.
I finally got around to putting a good edge on that axe. It was fine as delivered for splitting, which it ought to do, so I'm not complaining. But I don't split, I only chop. After adjusting the profile to suit me and putting a slick edge on it ...this sucker flat out chops. I'm glad I didn't go with a longer handle or a heavier bit. I'm 6'2" and this things fits me and my uses well.

I've never been able to put this nice of an edge on my old cheap axes. Might be my rose colored glasses, but I feel it's evident that the higher quality metal of the bit is responsible. For the money I don't think I could've done better. USA made as well.

Back at it...
20221012_162819_HDR.jpg
IMG-375acc1dc963123d506cb415e7c8c3ea-V.jpg
Man, I sure could use that loader 😁

You're gonna be busy for a day or two!

Would love an outdoor stoves but the prices have gone crazy on those things. It's literally brand new MT10 money last time I looked.

Mine has been running since Jan 2010. $6500 all in. Used money from getting my 15a select cut, which also gave me 2 years of firewood from tops and culls. I can also burn coal in mine. That's what the red bin and 2 super sacks are.

Last edited:
Back at it...
20221012_162819_HDR.jpg
IMG-375acc1dc963123d506cb415e7c8c3ea-V.jpg
Nice. Takes me back to Mifflin County days. I had rebuilt an old house, put in a new oil, coal, wood furnace with modern controls, in the big old deep the hell below frostline basement. Amish neighbor and I went shares, one each and one for my F250 highboy. Bought clean up tops from the big guys on state forest jobs. Went bow hunting off a CT90 on the same ground. Good days.

I missed this thread until now, but I make some firewood each year. At least 50% is split with an 8lb maul. If I get down to the hard ones, or am running out of time I'll borrow a hydraulic machine.
Last year I finished the stack beside the shed, and then the next three to the left. There was enough to start another in another area too.
nc_ohc=IxvLtqdUC7QAX-pNdrN&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom