What's new

Firewood makers

I run the MVI Log splitter, but the darned thing wears out quickly, and needs some Whiskey lubrication at the end of the day if any quantity of wood is split

1647624518727.png
That style of splitter usually requires a hot tub along with the whiskey lubrication.

After picking up a Tractor Supply Splitter, I'll never, ever, go back to the aforementioned splitting method!
1647633890360.png

Last edited:
I run the MVI Log splitter, but the darned thing wears out quickly, and needs some Whiskey lubrication at the end of the day if any quantity of wood is split

1647624518727.png

[ EDIT ] LUCKILY OUR HOUSE IS HEATED WITH NATURAL GAS !

A few years ago, I hurt my back real bad with one of those wood splitters. The log I was chopping started to tip over and I still went for it by changing my angle of attack, while swinging. I was halfway down in West Virginia, camping for the night. I was meeting people in Kentucky for a couple days of dirtbiking. It was a really weird injury, I could stand and mock e around on the pegs of the bike, just fine. I could not separate my legs, walking or putting a leg out to catch myself was extremely painful. I took a lot of shit that weekend, I was able to ride the bike up some really big ledges and through some intense rock gardens but I needed help picking the bike up if I dropped it or needed to get off the bike to turn it around.

1647624518727.png

I tried using the teenage PunkinSon version of that splitter but I pretty quickly couldn't afford all the replacement handles. I'd be money ahead buying a hydraulic splitter.

Reactions: MVI
I tried using the teenage PunkinSon version of that splitter but I pretty quickly couldn't afford all the replacement handles. I'd be money ahead buying a hydraulic splitter.
:photog:photog:photog
With great power, comes great responsibility (and aim !)

We Armstrongs here at the house currently only own a ryobi pcn45/45 chain saw, although i am considering buying a cheapo electric 240v saw for log cutting here at home.
1647656145583.png

All my other saws are Matty powered and i use a cheap bow saw with sanvick blades on the saw horse some times if i am feeling fit, but often for gathering firewood afield which i do most days off the river when walking the dogs i will cut up drift wood with a corona folding saw i have in my jacket and cut it into manageable lumps i can pick up latter with the hilux or tractor. If i am out walking looking to harvest downed birch etc, i will often walk in with a silky big bow folder, i got a silky zabat too but for 7+inch birch bows the big boy is less physicaly demanding. Dont dismis the little folding saws i carry an opinel folder in my hunting gear i use for dressing blinds etc and its fine.

1647624518727.png

We were living in an old New England farm house during one of the first big electric grid failures. Full tank of useless oil in the basement. Full set of backpacking gear in a closet. Lesson learned. Down is dandy. Wood is good. And trustworthy.

What is that prehisoric saw in the back row?

Looks like a Homelite XP, I don't find much online in a quick search but the XL is pretty well represented. The one XP I spotted had a long bar.

Dad has a Homelite SuperWiz 80 with a 3' or so bar. We used it to cut the base of trees close to the ground for easier stump removal. That saw is a beast.
Photos - or it did not happen :photog

LOL even at 30 something and thinking I was stout - when that thing woke up - hair stood on end

In its time, that was a great saw. I doubt it's nearly as fast as the latest Stihl of similar capacity with a carbide chain, but it'll still eat. Parts availability may be a problem. Do you really want a 3' bar?
Sure, as Garage Art

I lived in the PNW in the early 90's. I Collected several misery whips. Still have them in the attic.

One was sharped last in the 60's and then covered in Cosmoline. yup, it's sharp.

Top Bottom Back Refresh