What's new

Firewood makers

MVI

MVI MOTO
Mod
Vendor
ADV+
Member Number
I wanted a small, light, sharp, and powerful Battery powered saw that can be Bike Mounted for clearing Single Track and used back at camp

DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Chainsaw, 12-Inch, Tool Only (DCCS620B)​

DEWALT 20V MAX* XR Chainsaw Kit, 5-Ah Battery, 12-Inch (DCCS620P1)​

This little saw really surprised me how quickly I could buck thru a bunch of logs, albeit small logs.

1647222103816.png

No it does not have the power my gas powered Stihl 023 saw has, but it did rip thru this wood pile fast enough for any homeowner or trail clearing boss.

1647222142928.png

Next up is to make an adapter for the CRF450RL

The Tool less design for the oil fill works perfectly. Add oil. Does not leak. Decent O=Ring design.

The Tool less design for the bar adjustment works adequately. It only has one stud that you tighten the bar by hand, not two like a traditional chainsaw. This allows the bar to float a bit left/right while sawing. It works, I just found it a tad annoying compared to a real chainsaw

Weight - at least half the weight a gas powered saw.

Temporary rig with a short track until it makes enough lumber for it's own shed.

I can hear you, Possum. It's quiet 😁 Killed the crank bearings in my MS230 with an attachment like that. They're fun, but hard on a saw.
IMG_20211121_085132202_HDR.jpg

Back to light and Quiet.

With some digging I found that an OREGON 14' bar and chain will fit and works fine on the Dewalt
Tool Only (DCCS620B) / Kit, 5-Ah Battery, 12-Inch (DCCS620P1)

Chain is for 14-Inch bars. Pitch: 3/8" Low Profile, Gauge: .050", Drive Link Count: 52.

Oregon 27856 14-Inch Bar & 91VG Chainsaw Blade Combination ($22)

1647258207311.png

You can also pick up a 2 pack of chains for $17 as back up

Oregon S52T 2-Pack AdvanceCut 14-Inch Chainsaw Chain

1647258408497.png

Last edited:
I really like that Trailer mounted Horz Saw.

Shinyribs Tell us more
It's a Woodland Mills HM126 with the 14hp engine option. I've been living on the same 100 acres since we moved here when I was kid and I've been watching trees fall and rot away for the past 30+ years. A couple years ago I got a wild hair to mill one up. After cutting up a fallen ash and making a dining room table out of it I was hooked. I knew the Alaskan sawmill attachment wasn't a smart permanent option for me, so we bit the bullet and got this thing. It'll only make 10' lumber for now, but there's extra track to stretch that to 16' if the weather ever cooperates so I can finish building a sawmill shed and can get this thing off my Dad's equipment trailer.

It's surprisingly smooth, quiet and easier on fuel than I expected. The hard work is getting the logs to it. It makes quick work of anything you put on it. 22" diameter red oak, it'll slice through in about a minute. You can mill up about 10-12 good sized logs on a gallon of fuel.

I keep going back and forth on an Alaskan mill. The current consensus is that its too much work for too little return.

It's a Woodland Mills HM126 with the 14hp engine option. I've been living on the same 100 acres since we moved here when I was kid and I've been watching trees fall and rot away for the past 30+ years. A couple years ago I got a wild hair to mill one up. After cutting up a fallen ash and making a dining room table out of it I was hooked. I knew the Alaskan sawmill attachment wasn't a smart permanent option for me, so we bit the bullet and got this thing. It'll only make 10' lumber for now, but there's extra track to stretch that to 16' if the weather ever cooperates so I can finish building a sawmill shed and can get this thing off my Dad's equipment trailer.

It's surprisingly smooth, quiet and easier on fuel than I expected. The hard work is getting the logs to it. It makes quick work of anything you put on it. 22" diameter red oak, it'll slice through in about a minute. You can mill up about 10-12 good sized logs on a gallon of fuel.

Family Land is the best. Lucky Guy !

I am inpressed with the pricing they offer. $7K for the 14HP Saw, plus the extension is a great value

1647266736668.png

Alaskan mills have their place in the back country.

Some of the newer all terrain trailers make getting a mill to the site a bit easier

1647266864766.png

What about that poor truck and minivan that got the wrath of the tree? Ouch. I worry about that all the time with the tall pines around my acre, some of them pretty near my house.

I'd like to see the dozer and Jeep come back to life !

Family Land is the best. Lucky Guy !

I am inpressed with the pricing they offer. $7K for the 14HP Saw, plus the extension is a great value

1647266736668.png
Ours showed up in November right before bad weather set in. The 126 with 14hp, one track extension, spare parts kit, auto blade sharpener and siding attachment kit was $5600 shipped to me. If prices jumped that much it looks like I pulled the trigger just in time!

Hmmm, My Dewalt saw is shiny brand new. less than an hour of cut time, dont leak

R U only using BAR OIL ? I've seen guys run ATF, used motor oil, etc etc thru saws.

There is also a YouTube video of upgrades for the Dewalt, and I have seen one where a guy added a second o=ring. have you tried that?

My Milwaukee drips a little motor oil. I store it on a pig mat and forget about it. I think I have used it twice in the year plus I've owned it. Which is exactly why I wanted the battery powered one.

Reactions: MVI
Hmmm, My saw is shiny brand new. less than an hour of cut time, dont leak

R U only using BAR OIL ? I've seen guys run ATF, used motor oil, etc etc thru saws.

There is also a YouTube video of upgrades, and I have seen one where a guy added a second o=ring. have you tried that?
I haven't tried adding an o-ring. Running the same Stihl brand bar oil in the Dewalt that I run in the gas Husky and Stihl.

Used motor oil, eh? I have never tried that in a saw but with a fleet of vehicles I wouldn't mind trying to reuse some of it...

I love the little electric saw. I really wish it had felling spikes.

There is a grove for a second o-ring, give that a shot and let us know.

All of my saws have slobbered bar oil when parked. I don't know if there's any definitive cutoff mechanism to fully prevent it from weeping through the pump. Unless y'all are saying it's leaking directly from the fill cap? Yeah, that would be truly annoying.

Back
Top Bottom