What's new

FIRST BIKE FOR A 56Y.O./250lb nOOB

Look at the plain CRF250L, leas plastic to replace and cheaper now that the 300 is out

Yea, WR was top on my list too, but they're not cheap.

I sat on a 2019(?) CRF 250 Rally and it fit me quite well. $5000 OTD with 1100 miles.

How about buying any of the mentioned bikes that are 5+ years old?

If it's in good shape, should be fine. The WR is no longer in production though, they may have stopped in 2019 or 2020, cannot recall. The CFR went from a 250 to a 300 a couple years ago. The comment from AwDang about looking for a CFR250L now that the CRF300L is out, is spot on.

I use my DRZ for a getaround bike with the RV. The plan was originally to haul it on a hitch carrier. Then my wife decided to give a bike a try, so we haul mine and her XT250 on a small trailer.

Considerations for a hitch carrier should be weight first, in my opinion. The lighter the better on anything except highway miles. I don’t think engine size is a big deal—I have a blast on her XT, though I feel wadded up on it a bit. I mean, I gave it its first 8 or 9 dirt naps before she started beating on it—that’s how much I enjoy that little thing. And even though the DRZ is a relatively small and light dual sport—her bike is more grin-inducing around the neighborhood. It’s just so small and light, you feel like an adult on a kids’ bike, which is always fun.

One time I swapped bikes with a random guy in Arkansas for a 15-mile ride around Byrd’s adventure center near Cass, AR. I declared my love for his TW200, and he fell in love with my DRZ. Which leads me to the point about power.

For a beginner at <45 mph, power shouldn’t be a deciding factor, in my opinion. You want fun and approachable. And relatively light. It doesn’t need to be a motocross bike, but it also doesn’t need to weigh 400 lbs. And since it’s going on a hitch carrier, I personally would want the lightest thing you could easily find used and put a tag on. Plus, on a mountain bike, you have what—1/4 horsepower? So, for double the weight, you need 1/2 horsepower!

So the TW should always be in contention, unless you absolutely can’t fit on it.
For a hitch carrier you also really want one of these
https://www.amazon.com/StowAway-Tightener-Anti-Rattle-Stabilizer-Hitches/dp/B0001CMUV4

Not necessarily that one - just googled quickly but that's the same as the one I have.

That is the best way to do it. By that age, they aren't losing much value during your ownership. That means you can sell and buy another if you want to try something else, losing very little money each time.

Given your indented use, the CRF 230/250 would be a good starting point. Yamaha made an XT225. The Suzuki DR200 might be OK as well. If you could get your hands on a well cared for Suzuki DR350SE, it would be perfect. Air cooled, electric start, and a fairly tall bike. My wife is 5'11" and it fits her perfectly. This one is a 1995, but I think they made them until 2001 before switching to water cooled.

3a%2f%2fwww.apriliaforum.com%2fforums%2fattachment.jpg

Sonora Pass.jpg

Roughly what %age of on / off road is the OP expecting to encounter? This could help with more accurate suggestions.
I'm going to W.A.G. and say 70% off/30% on.

Being the bike will live with a truck camper in the backcountry.

And being on pavement only for running errands into town where ever I am.

Hey, does that camper have a rear door or side?
Rear door with a bike on a carrier will suck. Maybe one of the small bikes on the front is the way to go.

I tend to agree with the bike carrier on the back of the camper being far from ideal, and think given that and the larger % off road the 200cc/ 250cc clas would be a better option perhaps. You could of course use a 400cc or i even a 600/ 650 , but on a rack as camper errand bike i personaly would be going for lightweight bike with good off road potential, and i would go so far as to suggest a KDX 200 , but if you want a four stroke and something still off road but very user friendly , what about looking for a tidy TW200 yamaha?

the Kawasaki klx250 is also a good choice.
The KLX230 is worth looking at as it is air cooled so no radiator to mess up when dropped.

Top Bottom Back Refresh