What's new

FIRST BIKE FOR A 56Y.O./250lb nOOB

CDA 455 III

ANFAQUE2+2
Member Number
My type of motor bike would be a late model BMW R1250 GS ADVENTURE.
However; never owning a bike or having many miles on one, I know I must start with a 'first bike'.

What's a good beginners on/off road bike for a heavy dude?

Modern features would be awesome.

How do you define off road?
Single track woods riding?
Gravel forrest roads?

You definitely want a bike or two before the big GS.

Local place had a 2019 CRF250 Rally for $5000. Had like 1100 miles on it. Luggage. Lights. Few other things. That thing fit me great. I miss having a 250.

Without knowing the specifics of your expected riding terrain, but given your physical mass / experience i would say go for something in the 400cc to 650cc class.
obvious used choices are DRZ400 or DR650 KLR650 or perhaps you would like an Enfield Himalayan a verseys or vstrom if you don't want a trail bike as such.

I’d skip the KLR, VSteom and Versys. Too much plastic to break for a first bike.

250’s are too small for a 250# average American male.
DRZ, DR, KLX400, anything thats more dirt bikey will drop/fall/nap/crash better.

Without knowing the specifics of your expected riding terrain, but given your physical mass / experience i would say go for something in the 400cc to 650cc class.
obvious used choices are DRZ400 or DR650 KLR650 or perhaps you would like an Enfield Himalayan a verseys or vstrom if you don't want a trail bike as such.
This. Do not pass go, follow Matty's advice.

Oh!

45 years of Kamikaze/reckless mountain biking!
Cool!
Then you understand the dynamics of a unitrack vehicle. Now it’s just acclimating to the speed and controls.
Def skip the 250’s if you have average strength and health. If you’re a scrawny guy who get sand kicked in their face. Buy a CRF250L or DR200 to start.

My type of motor bike would be a late model BMW R1250 GS ADVENTURE.
However; never owning a bike or having many miles on one, I know I must start with a 'first bike'.

What's a good beginners on/off road bike for a heavy dude?

Modern features would be awesome.
You might think about a BMW 310GS. You might consider something more stout. KLR650, V-Strom 650, or maybe a DR650 or XRL650.

Last edited:
Go on your local CraigsList and find the cheapest moderate displacement bike you can and ride it (and drop it) till you either understand it or hate it and with the knowledge gained of what works for you and what doesn’t find a motorcycle you actually want. Buy a good helmet, jacket, boots, gloves. Take a motorcycle class locally.

Another bike that might satisfy the GS itch would be a F700/800/850 GS. These bikes are 2/3 the size of the big GS, with 75-95 horsepower. They are loaded with electronics like electronically adjusted suspension. Like the big GS, they aren't cheap.

CDA, I’m 240 lbs and 42. I bought my DRZ 2 years ago with barely any prior experience. I’ve found it to be extremely forgiving and an easy ride. The height is scary at first offroad, but you get used to that fairly quickly and find it’s not a big deal. The best thing about this bike on a trail is the very forgiving throttle response, while still having plenty of power for me.

So, I know I’m just echoing what others already said. But I thought you’d like to hear it from another beginner.

The DRZ 400 is a fairly capable little motorcycle, tough if not uncompromising trail bike that has perhaps a slightly and indeed moot weaker point on fast highway runs. But even that criticism is somewhat unfounded if you are of a mindset to just get down the road and stay 60/ 70 MPH, i mean how fast do you want to go?

Back
Top Bottom