What's new

Florida

We're in the Nature Coast area (though about 20 miles inland, and about 60 miles due north of downtown Tampa and the Bay that will get swole) so I hope we have a similar outcome as we did during Irma in 2017. We had roughly 60-70 mph winds then, lost no trees, just lots of yard debris. We're stocked up with grub and have around 12 gallons of fuel for the generator plus a full 26 gallon tank on my truck to siphon from if needed. We were out of power for 4 full days after Irma and though we still don't have a generator large enough to run the a/c, we now have a direct connection cable to power up the entire house so we can use all lights, fans and outlets like normal. Only limitations other than a/c are microwave and clothes dryer so while it won't be perfect, it will be far better than the 5 extension cords we used last time. Only need to pick up more beer and we'll be all set. Hoping I won't need to drag out the hurricane shutters, an all day PITA when you're doing 20 windows by yourself and they're stored in a shed 100 feet behind the house at the back of the acre.

We're in the Nature Coast area (though about 20 miles inland, and about 60 miles due north of downtown Tampa and the Bay that will get swole) so I hope we have a similar outcome as we did during Irma in 2017. We had roughly 60-70 mph winds then, lost no trees, just lots of yard debris. We're stocked up with grub and have around 12 gallons of fuel for the generator plus a full 26 gallon tank on my truck to siphon from if needed. We were out of power for 4 full days after Irma and though we still don't have a generator large enough to run the a/c, we now have a direct connection cable to power up the entire house so we can use all lights, fans and outlets like normal. Only limitations other than a/c are microwave and clothes dryer so while it won't be perfect, it will be far better than the 5 extension cords we used last time. Only need to pick up more beer and we'll be all set. Hoping I won't need to drag out the hurricane shutters, an all day PITA when you're doing 20 windows by yourself and they're stored in a shed 100 feet behind the house at the back of the acre.
Be safe my Brother !

A feeder band on my way home…
EDDA17E6-4E00-4B5A-8C90-2E518C46D511.jpeg

After George and Irene I lived on my genny for a week each and while it sucks, I had my commercial ice maker, fans, wall banger ac and satellite tv going… I just went fishing every day and grilled seafood on the porch… I lived in the Keys at the time and we had a block party in my neighborhood every night… :drink Good times actually.

It's an unmitigated disaster.....
It is, and like so many other natural occurrences that are unavoidable in certain locations, it sucks but it's part of life in Florida. Once again the greater Tampa Bay area and surrounding communities (including my own in the Nature Coast area) dodged a bullet. Now they show the potential track for Ian as out in the Atlantic, regaining some strength and going ashore again into the Carolinas. Basically right where I'm going in a week or so. Hopefully things dry out up there. I hope there won't be much damage from what will barely be a Cat 1 and weakening quickly by landfall at Charleston.

Not in my area yet, it's still too cool most mornings. I hope it holds off another couple weeks, a buddy of mine in SC is coming down mid-March and I want to ride (cleanly). I hate getting those disgusting gooey things all over my bike, if you don't clean them off right away they can destroy paint. For those elsewhere who aren't familiar with our little twice-a-year scourge here in Florida, here are the little bastards

Lovebugs.jpg
Florida Eagle

My wife and I went to Florida in March, and had a great time.

We flew into Miami, rented a Road Glide Ultra (through RidersShare.com), and rode it to Key West. We stayed down there for 3 days, having plenty of seafood and beer. Then we returned the bike to Miami, and rented a Dodge Challenger R/T with a 6-speed (through Turo). We drove out to the Everglades, and went on an airboat ride. I found a place to hunt wild pig, too. I got a 250 lb pig, and somehow got it into the trunk of the Challenger for the trip back. We used dry ice to get the meat frozen, then sealed it into an ice chest for the flight back. We spent our last night in an AirBnB in Little Havana. We walked around, and found some good Cuban. Back home, we had BBQ ribs, carnitas tacos, and other pork for quite a while.

Thanks Florida!

Well what Ian didn't take, Nicole certainly finished off.. The beaches on the east coast are gone for many miles. Flagler Beach has a section of A1A missing, the very road I rode on during Biketober fest a few months back... I can only imaging what the floodwaters have done this time around.... :becca

Our Sanibel Island cottage is now a pile of debris out by the street. Our other SWFL properties are OK with minor or no damage.

20221114_142328.jpg

Our Sanibel Island cottage is now a pile of debris out by the street. Our other SWFL properties are OK with minor or no damage.

20221114_142328.jpg
What a mess, sorry for the loss of your place. In the end it is just material and as long as everyone was safe and not injured it is just a matter of rebuilding. Hopefully insurance will take care of it….

LOL... I thought you were talking about Florida there for a minute, it's pretty much flat.

Chiming in from beautiful Floral City on the Nature Coast
bmt1mn6.jpg
What model Honda(CL450?) is your beautiful bike that the mufflers fell off?

What model Honda(CL450?) is your beautiful bike that the mufflers fell off?
LOL... thanks! It started out life as a CL450K5 (titled '73, actually a '72) but this project was to make a street-legal version of my previous drag bike in the early '70s. I had TT pipes on that one and managed to find a set to make this aspect of the build exactly the same but with ceramic PC finish since thew chrome was pretty rusted after 45 years. This was the inspiration, and the engine in this one is built with almost the exact same parts (cams, very similar 497cc pistons and 36mm Mikunis). Here's a drag strip run with the red bike from 2019
IMG_0533.JPG

Top Bottom Back Refresh