What's new

Ford Transit Moto Camper Van Build

I ordered up some bunk restraints for the bed. We are running a Full size bed and most of these restraints are made for twins in the back of semi trucks. I just pulled the trigger on a twin size and am hoping I can figure out how to extend it a bit with the belts that I already have for the bed. No manufacturer would discuss details with me because I was not replacing a system from an existing truck.

98D29613-56FF-4665-A17F-D13B706BAC6B.png

A warning to Transit owners: do not trust any mechanic with knowing how to properly lift the van. I think I am going to make a laminated card to place on the dash, every time it goes into service. Fortunately the dealer did not deny doing this. Now, we will see hot they try to make it right.

Both sides crushed.

1FD81894-3D64-411A-8ABE-92AE96AF9C1B.jpeg

A warning to Transit owners: do not trust any mechanic with knowing how to properly lift the van. I think I am going to make a laminated card to place on the dash, every time it goes into service. Fortunately the dealer did not deny doing this. Now, we will see hot they try to make it right.

Both sides crushed.

1FD81894-3D64-411A-8ABE-92AE96AF9C1B.jpeg
Oh man, that's a nightmare. I'm sorry to see it.
I ordered up some bunk restraints for the bed. We are running a Full size bed and most of these restraints are made for twins in the back of semi trucks. I just pulled the trigger on a twin size and am hoping I can figure out how to extend it a bit with the belts that I already have for the bed. No manufacturer would discuss details with me because I was not replacing a system from an existing truck.

98D29613-56FF-4665-A17F-D13B706BAC6B.png
Seems like if you didn't want things to look pretty you could just use a couple of D rings and tie down straps. Maybe daisy chain zip ties to a d ring in the ceiling to keep it off your face as you sleep and you're really cooking. Nice orange tie downs covered in grease too just for the chef's kiss of perfection.

Oh man, that's a nightmare. I'm sorry to see it.

Seems like if you didn't want things to look pretty you could just use a couple of D rings and tie down straps. Maybe daisy chain zip ties to a d ring in the ceiling to keep it off your face as you sleep and you're really cooking. Nice orange tie downs covered in grease too just for the chef's kiss of perfection.

The dealer sent me to their body shop. I told the body shop my main concern about the damage is rust starting from that area, due to flaking paint in the creases. It is scheduled to go into the body shop and they said it will look like new. They are going to replace the body moldings too, even though I said they were only slightly creased and not a concern. I would give the dealer an A+ for how things have been handled so far. They could have easily denied it and said someone else did it.

I got the bunk restraint system installed, the only hiccup was it did not come with buckles to bolt to the structure. Searching seat belt buckle sizes is a painful experience. I eventually just went to the local junk yard with the restraint system and tried various vehicles. Dodge Grand Caravan was the winner. I got some middle position lap belts from the bench seats and receivers. The middle position lap belts enabled me to add some length to make the twin size restraint work on a full size bed.

This van is accumulating a number of Dodge components and is of concern. The plastic panels for the 80/20 were from a Promaster and now the belts are from a Caravan.

The dealer sent me to their body shop. I told the body shop my main concern about the damage is rust starting from that area, due to flaking paint in the creases. It is scheduled to go into the body shop and they said it will look like new. They are going to replace the body moldings too, even though I said they were only slightly creased and not a concern. I would give the dealer an A+ for how things have been handled so far. They could have easily denied it and said someone else did it.

I got the bunk restraint system installed, the only hiccup was it did not come with buckles to bolt to the structure. Searching seat belt buckle sizes is a painful experience. I eventually just went to the local junk yard with the restraint system and tried various vehicles. Dodge Grand Caravan was the winner. I got some middle position lap belts from the bench seats and receivers. The middle position lap belts enabled me to add some length to make the twin size restraint work on a full size bed.

This van is accumulating a number of Dodge components and is of concern. The plastic panels for the 80/20 were from a Promaster and now the belts are from a Caravan.

I assume you bought a lottery ticket after that? This sounds like a great dealership, though I suppose the proof is in what they return.

I'm a little concerned about the proportion of dodge components. You maybe a little bit promaster curious? Because if you are, man go out and live life. It isn't worth it just sitting in a transit wondering "I wonder if I could get up that hill with FWD" or "my knees are old, wouldn't it be nice to have a cargo area that's six inches closer to the ground?"

I assume you bought a lottery ticket after that? This sounds like a great dealership, though I suppose the proof is in what they return.

I'm a little concerned about the proportion of dodge components. You maybe a little bit promaster curious? Because if you are, man go out and live life. It isn't worth it just sitting in a transit wondering "I wonder if I could get up that hill with FWD" or "my knees are old, wouldn't it be nice to have a cargo area that's six inches closer to the ground?"

:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer

Top Bottom Back Refresh