What's new

Ford Transit Moto Camper Van Build

Progress, another cabinet built and the cabinet front under the bed is done.

Lots of rain is in the forecast tomorrow. I’ll make a battery hold down system tomorow. I also need to make 4 more switches for cabinet lights.

484F3559-E191-484F-AAAA-3CB50E84573B.jpeg

Finally got some parts in from Grainger, so I was able to make some progress today.

Some of the lights for the bed cabinets are wired in.

I am still waiting on a shipment from 80/20, I made the Grainger order to cover for the 80/20 order that is taking forever.

D616678D-4AB7-41B7-BFDE-57B893CEAE20.jpeg

Got some doors installed this afternoon. You can see the little cabinet on the bottom that is intended to house the camp stove and propane bottles.

On the left, above the fridge, is a drawer. I am struggling at making it work smoothly. I had to walk away from that. Ill check back tomorrow, with a fresh brain.

92B88740-43E6-4E38-899B-FC4AC774DC46.jpeg

A little trick for when working with 80/20 and their end fasteners. Sometimes I need to make a T junction, the piece is right up against the wall, I need a bit of an angle to get the all end allen in there, or I just want some adjustability in the connection location.

Using the drill guide, I drill a series of holes. Then remove the guide and with a little sideways pressure, I turn the series of holes into a slot.

D610BDD6-8D08-45B4-B6D1-71C38F64137F.jpeg

This slot gave me the ability to tighten this connection that was right against the wall.

7F1CBE12-7C94-4DE0-976E-6BAB6A3B4750.jpeg

For a T connection, one of the ears of the end fasteners needs to be trimmed off. The ears just keep things aligned as they are tightened up, the connection is still very strong.

02C4F8A9-8E60-4F3D-9D5E-9292A9659BBF.jpeg

A small slot, with 2 additional holes drilled and turned into a slot.

1A14A4AD-CE7E-4E25-9619-F3F24326C568.jpeg

Then I can have a T connection. This was only needed a couple times so far but was handy when needed.

2D367159-6AAF-4A52-8542-D31A99B00A5B.jpeg

Excellent documentation on all this, and really nice work. Makes my one little trip in a rented Transit look pale by comparison (and my wife didn't care for sleeping in the van, she sleeps very lightly and every single sound woke her up). The Transit is a great platform to do this with, I loved that I could stand up fully in it. I also hauled an '84 VF1100S up to Hendersonville to sell in the next trip that October, about 900+ lbs of bikes alone.

Very close to calling this done. I need to make the safety rail for the edge of the bed and install a closet rod in the large cabinet.

With a fresh brain, I got after the drawer this afternoon. There were some small alignment issues that I was not seeing last night. Tweaking the alignment got it working smoothly. The leveling Lego blocks and windshield cover will be stored in it.

C4D9669D-98D6-4AA4-AA0B-C807520C79AD.jpeg

Then this evening, I worked on wiring up all the lights, the power for the fridge, and power for the 12v outlet next to the bed.

Each door has its own switch that turns a light on, even the small door for the camp stove.

196B1A82-4275-44E9-B60F-CD58DDE6C1E3.jpeg

Even the fridge has a light! :imaposer

7E4313DE-4B50-4987-AE23-BBB4F74893E4.jpeg

174567CE-A304-477C-AA42-E773E5309DAA.jpeg

C6858864-AA54-4ADA-88A0-C81CE35EC8C4.jpeg

The way that the fridge extends out below it, I don’t see it as an issue. The fridge keeps us from getting too close.
Tell me that you're less talented when it comes to injuring yourself than I am without actually saying it...

In that case, same but the fridge corners! One of which I see is rounded a bit. I just manage to find any corner that's out there and that stuff looks solid.

Tell me that you're less talented when it comes to injuring yourself than I am without actually saying it...

In that case, same but the fridge corners! One of which I see is rounded a bit. I just manage to find any corner that's out there and that stuff looks solid.

:lol3 oh, I am very good at finding new and inventive ways of hurting myself.

Have you any estimate of how much weight can be added to the chassis before negative impact(s)? I'm guessing these vehicles can haul a butt-load!

Have you any estimate of how much weight can be added to the chassis before negative impact(s)? I'm guessing these vehicles can haul a butt-load!

I need to do a bit of math. I think by removing the wooden cabinet and installing the 80/20, I might be lighter than before. These things can take a lot of weight and I should be pretty far from any limits. Every fall, I pick up a 1 ton pallet of heating pellets. It sits mostly behind the rear wheels, when I haul it home. The van is still not on the bump stops.

I got the bed sides installed this afternoon and I think this just about wraps up this rebuild. We just have to do a little organizing and figure out where things will be stored. In the end, there is probably close to 3 times as much storage as we had in the first build.

I may make a small shelf or cabinet above the right side of the bed but at this time, I don’t think we need the extra space.

This is a panorama photo, so there are some weird lines in the pic.

8F7AB0C4-5D6C-436E-B007-9CBE3DB2497C.jpeg

I got the bed sides installed this afternoon and I think this just about wraps up this rebuild. We just have to do a little organizing and figure out where things will be stored. In the end, there is probably close to 3 times as much storage as we had in the first build.

I may make a small shelf or cabinet above the right side of the bed but at this time, I don’t think we need the extra space.

This is a panorama photo, so there are some weird lines in the pic.

8F7AB0C4-5D6C-436E-B007-9CBE3DB2497C.jpeg
That looks great. What's the plan for eating in the van? Passenger side turns around and then sit on the fridge? Do you have a table setup at all?

Top Bottom Back Refresh