What's new

Full size ADV long ride comfort?

missin44

Member Number
I’m ready to start looking at the full size ADV line of bikes. There’s quite a few choices out there. To get me started if there a general consensus on the most comfortable load distance highway or maybe asphalt bike out there? I’m assuming the BMW 1250 GS Adventure, or maybe Multistrada V4. From what I’ve read the KTM, while fun lacks a bit comfort for long rides. I’d like to get a little feedback form both single and 2-up long ride comfort.

You really need to develop your own opinion by riding some of these bikes. That is unless your physique is the same as others.
I would agree. However the question is specific to long rides, which assuming I don’t rent multiple bikes will be impossible for me to judge.

I agree with trying different bikes but that isn't always possible. Maybe search around and pick up any used machine. The pices are not bad at all on certain models and gens. Possibly scoop up a decent price well maintained older gs or vstrom and figure it out from there.

Recent vstrom purchase from fellow inmate. And there was an adventure going to get the bike. Now I know I like vstroms...haha
20230304_193350.jpg

I’m ready to start looking at the full size ADV line of bikes. There’s quite a few choices out there. To get me started if there a general consensus on the most comfortable load distance highway or maybe asphalt bike out there? I’m assuming the BMW 1250 GS Adventure, or maybe Multistrada V4. From what I’ve read the KTM, while fun lacks a bit comfort for long rides. I’d like to get a little feedback form both single and 2-up long ride comfort.
Are you talking 300 miles or 1100 miles? Weather? Fuel range? There are so many variables. The GSA has a bigger tank so that's going to get you farther. Just about every ergonomic aspect of a bike can be changed...seat, windscreen, bar risers, pegs...so I'd look at factors you can't change but might be important for what you have in mind.

Are you riding all pavement, forest service type roads, single track .... That's all have a bearing.

I ride/like the boxer , so...., for all pavement I wouldn't get an ADV bike. I would look at the RT

Why an ADV over an ST or GT?

Decent tires on any bike works. And all bikes were adventure bikes decades ago. The ujm were preferred from lack of plastic parts except unobtanium side covers. I have an airhead now playing sidehack and I'm glad I haven't tried the modern version. I might be hooked.

Rick Fox rode every where I would like to go on a kawi concourse old style. Had a bigger front wheel than the new one.

I was impressed by how many places that kawi went. I found the videos years ago debating a $1700 concourse purchase. That is the kinda price where nothing matters except the rider and destination. Not the bike! My recent trip on an 18yr old "adv" bike was epic. The new 2022 klr sat at home nice and clean. And away from the salt air of my destination.

Funny thing the ruckus guy covered the same and more as the concourse. Hmmm

Rollin was about as epic as it gets for “wrong bike for the job”

Are you talking 300 miles or 1100 miles? Weather? Fuel range? There are so many variables. The GSA has a bigger tank so that's going to get you farther. Just about every ergonomic aspect of a bike can be changed...seat, windscreen, bar risers, pegs...so I'd look at factors you can't change but might be important for what you have in mind.
600+ highway. Throw in dirt, gravel, and forest roads about 30% of the time. 2-up about half the time.

Tough game, I would suggest all of the big ADV bikes on the market are solid runners. As stated riding them is the only true way to get a feel.

I spent some good time on an older Triumph Tiger 800 last year that I liked and I've done 15 hour days on my 640 Adventure plus 2 up touring on it.

Some might depend on your budget too.

depending on your physical attributes there are many choices. everything from a gsa to the big tiger or stelvio or caponord rally or vstroms or any number of others.
people have done (and still do) long tours on just about everything out there. each of them requires a compromise of some sort.
pick one.
make it yours.

Back
Top Bottom