What's new

Garage setups/makeovers, pics or it didn't happen

AirbusFlieger

Member Number
Garage makeover time! Our garage is empty and a complete blank slate!!

Open to all suggestions and lets see your garage setups.

Questions:
-anyone do some type of wall armoring like wainscoting? We are hard on our walls for some reason
-Floor coatings? I was thinking whatever they use in aviation hangars. Ideas?

Done:
-walls refinished/painted
-Fleximounts (Awesome!!)
-Electrical outlets (110's all over the place and a 220 panel) we charge a plug-in hybrid.

To Do List:
-Floor coating
-Ceiling lights
-Heat
-Utility sink
-Gear Wall
-Storage
-Workbench
-Motorcycle table (Have a Ural to put on it too).
-Organize rolling toolboxes (Craftsmans; One for homeowner crap, one for garden crap, one for tools).

IMG_0226.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure what your plans are for lighting, but I installed ten of these in my garage:

Amazon product ASIN B07JVXLQ8R
completely transformed the entire workspace. Its like working in an operating room.
Those look great!

Wife is insisting on dimmable LED in soft white.... ugh...

There is an access panel to ample attic space above, I think I'll do something like what you posted on one switch, and what she wants on a dedicated dimmable switch.

I'm getting older and man I can't get enough light.

I have all the workbenches, tables, toolboxes, machinery, etc, all on casters. Things change over the years, and it makes it easy to adjust the space accordingly. Makes for easier sweeping and vacuuming too. Lots of electrical outlets. Two ceiling fans. LED lighting is wonderful.
I have a dehumidifier that almost feels like A/C during the summer and a pellet stove for the winter.

If you are anywhere that you get "real" winter, the number one item on your list should be a heat source.

You can have the fanciest garage in the world, but if it's too cold six months out of the year, you'll never spend any time in it.

We get a solid six months of snow where I live, and I have a full sized forced air furnace in the corner of my 2.5 car garage. It can take the garage temp from 40 degrees to 60 in a matter of minutes.

It's by far the most valuable item in my garage.

If you are anywhere that you get "real" winter, the number one item on your list should be a heat source.

You can have the fanciest garage in the world, but if it's too cold six months out of the year, you'll never spend any time in it.

We get a solid six months of snow where I live, and I have a full sized forced air furnace in the corner of my 2.5 car garage. It can take the garage temp from 40 degrees to 60 in a matter of minutes.

It's by far the most valuable item in my garage.
Forgot to put that on the list.

We have mild winters but the garage still gets into the 30's... no bueno.

Dimmable because mama said so. Happy wife…..😁 she likes to sit in the garage with music and a glass of wine.

I’ll do soft white LED’s on an existing switch, and put blinding LED’s for me on a separate switch.

Ah the joys of life, build a 20x20 garage and within a couple of years you need a 40 x 40 garage , buy a barn and within a few years you will need two barns , acquire an aircraft hangar and then a few years down the line you find yourself looking at that really nice Airship/Zeppelin hangar.

Then you will still manage to fill it up with toys and other essentials ie cr*p.

Luckily most of us do not have the financial means to fulfil this dream (nightmare)

Yeah, I'm about to get started on a 30x50 with 12' side walls...once monsoon season clears out of the Midwest. I'm sure it won't be big enough.

My garage re-do will include a urinal near the utility sink. As it is, I just step out the door and around the corner, but I should be more civilized and the plumbing is right there.

During our house remodel, I added a new bath w/shower just inside the back door, so I could wash up after yardwork without going through the house, but SWMBO has taken over that bath, so in a perfect world, I'd add a corner shower in the garage. Still may.

Last edited:
Want a 2 ton bridge crane in mine... man that'd be luxury. And a nice big ships derrick out front...

We bought this rather unusual house about 23 years ago. 3000 square ft total including the finished walk-out lower level, but a somewhat awkwardly positioned house with not a lot of curb appeal. The house is incredibly well built, on an amazing property though, and is a serious workhorse of a house, with 3 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms. Originally the house was on 9.25 acres, we sold 3 acres of that last year, so currently on 6.25 acres.

280765733_5573974432613343_5606620530693151398_n.jpg

About 20 years ago, we added a 24x28 garage, and connected it to the house with a 10x20 mudroom/laundry room (increasing the house size to 3200 sq. ft.), and then remodeled the downstairs laundry room into a second kitchen.

Then last year we had the siding and windows replaced, all of the decking re-done, and the horrible gravel driveway paved.

So this is the house as it stands today:

280864649_5573974545946665_7600563139997545692_n.jpg

278670881_5492906447386809_4420646908811677424_n.jpg

So I am semi-retiring in 2 months, and next on my radar is finishing the inside of that garage we built 20 years ago. It has power with lights, outlets and garage door openers, but no insulation or drywall except on the wall that connects to the mudroom (which is fully finished and insulated).

Plan is insulation, drywall, nice garage cabinets, better lighting, and possibly race deck floor tile... assuming I don't run out of money first. :lol3

Anyone have a source for good barn plans? It's a couple years on the horizon, but wifey is still on board for us to put up a sizeable barn on our VT property. Lot of ideas, hard to visualize everything without someplace to start.

Back
Top Bottom