MVI MOTO
Mod
Vendor
ADV+
Member Number
First Crop of Green onions is in for the year, and the obligatory gypsy pepper

1683289217715.png

Both Paired well with some rockfish, eggs and spinich this morning for Breaky

Well Hells Bells, we now got a fire ant issue on a raised bed. Were trying [UWSL]diatomaceous earth to see if that works....[/UWSL]

Who knows the slick way to eradicate those ant bastards?

1683507519878.png

1683508209008.png

Last edited:
Man, I'm way behind you guys. Got stuff popping up, but it's a long way from picking. Building a greenhouse is on the agenda for this year.

Got started with the garden projects in February. I cut and collected the tall grass in my front yard to use as mulch this year. Hopefully the work pays off. It is an experiment this year.
PXL_20230220_200609337.jpg

Gathered, chopped and tilled leaves into the garden soil in March.
Screenshot_20230509-100846.png

Starting to get stuff in the ground. Added a bunch of new lavender along the edge this year, potatoes and peas are making progress, kale/broccoli/lettuce are loving the cooler temps and tomatoes/peppers/herbs just went in. You can see some of the grass/mulch has been laid down.
Screenshot_20230509-100748.png

I have a new deck project going up that will include steps into the garden, so some of that real estate has been left empty for construction clearance.

Will hopefully get the cucumber, sweet potato, watermelon and additional peppers (I finally found some scorpion and reaper) in this week.

Last edited:
A good friend is building a shop and I've been helping him build a retaining wall around back. He paid $143 for two "scoops" of enriched soil which ended up scaling at 4800 lbs. It'd take me 10 years to produce that much compost. The red clay I live on sucks. We grow plenty of carrots and potatoes but they can't get any bigger than a chicken egg trying to push through the hard clay.

I'm buying new dirt next year 😁
IMG_20230508_091441160.jpg

Got started with the garden projects in February. I cut and collected the tall grass in my front yard to use as mulch this year. Hopefully the work pays off. It is an experiment this year.
PXL_20230220_200609337.jpg

Gathered, chopped and tilled leaves into the garden soil in March.
Screenshot_20230509-100846.png

Starting to get stuff in the ground. Added a bunch of new lavender along the edge this year, potatoes and peas are making progress, kale/broccoli/lettuce are loving the cooler temps and tomatoes/peppers/herbs just went in. You can see some of the grass/mulch has been laid down.
Screenshot_20230509-100748.png

I have a new deck project going up that will include steps into the garden, so some of that real estate has been left empty for construction clearance.

Will hopefully get the cucumber, sweet potato, watermelon and additional peppers (I finally found some scorpion and reaper) in this week.
No deer fence? Must be nice!

That's a nice looking setup you got there, bud.

No deer fence? Must be nice!

That's a nice looking setup you got there, bud.
Thanks!

I am currently starting to see some damage occur to the apple trees which is consistent with the Whitetail Deer out here. I am planning some semi-permeant 6' wire fence around the orchard, or I might rig up the electric fence I initially had around the fruit trees a few years ago when we planted them. I usually use the electric fence around sweet corn for coons (6 wires within 30" from the ground), but my wife has learned she shouldn't eat corn so we don't have a spot for it this year. The smaller veggies are starting to show some nibbling (probably rabbit or possum), so I imagine a short wire fence will have to go up around them.

So far this year the biggest pest has been 'Pill bugs'. I sprinkled a product called 'Sluggo' around the garden to try and send them packing. They chewed through a poblano stem already :boid Sluggo worked great in our strawberry patch a few years ago. Damn pill bugs were eating the freshly ripened fruit.

...My soil sucks too. It is a dense clay. Not quite Oklahoma clay red, but it is hard as a rock and slick as snot when wet. This is why my lawn is mostly dandelion and crabgrass. I have had a buddy bring is several loads of soil he has dug out of waterways and ponds for the garden over the years. We also try to mix in as much organic material into the soil as possible, mostly leaves and small twigs.

Top Bottom Back Refresh