What's new

Garmin vs Phone

Which one sucks less?

• Total voters
I used garmin basecamp & express years ago but eventually gave up on the whole updating/syncing business.
The current firmware seems stable enough - no need to upgrade unless fixing a specific bug, also the gps units aren't as vulnerable as other devices.
Maps (osm), tracks, etc. is added by manually copying it to the sd card (try to avoid messing up the internal storage).

Anyone else use their gps unit like that?

Reactions: CTG
I used to do that with a GPSMAP 60Csx.

Over time, doing it manually without updating the satellite location tables may result in longer times to establish a fix. Otherwise, updating maps isn't too hard since the device's file directories are visible. I have inReach tech built into my 66i, so I don't know how that'd be affected by a manual update process. The maps on my watch auto-update through my phone every few weeks with no problems.

I forgot to mention this was on the montana 600/680.
Don't get the thing with location table needing update all the time, they help with getting a first fix but can't someone come up with an idea to give the gps unit a basic understanding of where the satellites are? It's not like they move in a random pattern up there.

I don't know enough about how that works to say. My guess is that using a regularly updated table lightens the processing load on the receiver. In the early days, that may have been more important than with today's more powerful and power efficient units.
My inner tinfoil person says the main reason is that the manufacturer want the gps to be connected to a computer/internet as often as possible :lol3

My inner tinfoil person says the main reason is that the manufacturer want the gps to be connected to a computer/internet as often as possible :lol3

Well, you're not wrong. A privacy policy for example was formerly used to spell out your privacy protections. Now they read like an EULA.

For all their convenience smart phones are the worst for privacy. All that free stuff is not free. Anything that can be kept disconnected from the internet is good. Simple "dumb" phones are good.

I used garmin basecamp & express years ago but eventually gave up on the whole updating/syncing business.
The current firmware seems stable enough - no need to upgrade unless fixing a specific bug, also the gps units aren't as vulnerable as other devices.
Maps (osm), tracks, etc. is added by manually copying it to the sd card (try to avoid messing up the internal storage).

Anyone else use their gps unit like that?

Exactly like that.

BTW... Almanacs are updated by satellite download.

Last edited:
Did some testing on the trails with the Montana 700i mounted on the handlebars of the 300. No problems there, works for the purpose. The GPS seems to be accurate enough even in dense forest and the screen is usable when riding standing up. And the offline Birdseye imagery and the ability to toggle it on and off with just a couple of taps on the screen is a huge help in finding the right trail.

The hardware though…

Synced a bunch of tracks via Garmin Explore to the device while simultaneously downloading Birdseye imagery wirelessly. The device crashed every single time after a while. They’re really pushing the limits of how weak hardware you can use and still get away with it.
Just a quick update on my experiences with the Montana 700i.

I'm currently about 4650 kilometres from home doing some enduro riding. I've used the Montana for three weeks now to find the trails (that I have stored in the device) in the area . Montana works great for finding the tracks, even in faster pace riding. The screen is perfectly readable even in bright sunlight and the stored Birdseye imagery is really useful, especially in areas where there is no cell phone coverage.

The device crashes every now and then while following a track and needs to be restarted but that's normal for a Garmin device.

I had 42 tracks for the area stored in the Montana. This morning I was syncing the Montana with the Garmin Explore app on my phone to add one more track when the Montana crashed. After the reboot there are no stored tracks in the device. Nothing, not a single one. Syncing with the Explore app doesn't restore any saved tracks. I have my laptop with me but the Montana doesn't show up as a mass storage device when connected to the computer nor is it able to connect with Garmin Express. My guess is that something got corrupted when the device crashed while syncing it with Garmin Explore.

I have to admit I'm slightly annoyed and fed up with this shit. I'll probably try a full reset next.

Luckily it's not a matter of life and death for me.

Would I trust this device as the only navigation aid to bring me home? No fucking way.

Edit: full master reset was needed to get the device working again. All user data and settings are gone, as well as all downloaded satellite imagery.

Last edited:
Just a quick update on my experiences with the Montana 700i.

I'm currently about 4650 kilometres from home doing some enduro riding. I've used the Montana for three weeks now to find the trails (that I have stored in the device) in the area . Montana works great for finding the tracks, even in faster pace riding. The screen is perfectly readable even in bright sunlight and the stored Birdseye imagery is really useful, especially in areas where there is no cell phone coverage.

The device crashes every now and then while following a track and needs to be restarted but that's normal for a Garmin device.

I had 42 tracks for the area stored in the Montana. This morning I was syncing the Montana with the Garmin Explore app on my phone to add one more track when the Montana crashed. After the reboot there are no stored tracks in the device. Nothing, not a single one. Syncing with the Explore app doesn't restore any saved tracks. I have my laptop with me but the Montana doesn't show up as a mass storage device when connected to the computer nor is it able to connect with Garmin Express. My guess is that something got corrupted when the device crashed while syncing it with Garmin Explore.

I have to admit I'm slightly annoyed and fed up with this shit. I'll probably try a full reset next.

Luckily it's not a matter of life and death for me.

Would I trust this device as the only navigation aid to bring me home? No fucking way.

Edit: full master reset was needed to get the device working again. All user data and settings are gone, as well as all downloaded satellite imagery.

With my old S6 and Locus I have every track that I ever ran/recorded for like 5 years in Japan saved, and its cloud storage, so I can swap devices completely and be up and running in less than 35 minutes. Which I have done. Usually on a trip I will have two or three "navi" phones plus my day to day.

With the latest iPhones offering satellite based emergency signaling, the Ghost of Kodak is creeping closer to Garmin's consumer navigation and satellite messaging devices. I think they could still turn things around and remain relevant, but Garmin's history doesn't make that seem likely.

Yeah, that is the latest greatest only though, great for a day to day, not something I would stick on a handlebar

Agreed, but it's a distinct turning point in the technology available at the consumer level. If Apple can do it, an Android competitor will probably be along soon.

Prior to the iPhone 14's announcement of its new ability, I doubt that the majority of Americans were even aware of the inReach system. I still prefer several capabilities that inReach has over any phone today, but seeing the mobile market beginning to be flooded with competing emergency beacons should worry Garmin. Now people are getting a "free" beacon with a phone they were already going to buy, and the phone can handle navigation very well, too.

Its in the works for an Android release next year if I am not mistaken.

Agreed, but it's a distinct turning point in the technology available at the consumer level. If Apple can do it, an Android competitor will probably be along soon.

Prior to the iPhone 14's announcement of its new ability, I doubt that the majority of Americans were even aware of the inReach system. I still prefer several capabilities that inReach has over any phone today, but seeing the mobile market beginning to be flooded with competing emergency beacons should worry Garmin. Now people are getting a "free" beacon with a phone they were already going to buy, and the phone can handle navigation very well, too.

Nice feature that might help with marketing (and maybe sales), but for "real" emergency use people will want voice, not text-only.
Let me know when regular handhelds can perform the same duty as a sat phone and come with a price plan that doesn't cost a half a leg.

Edit: it would be great if the endpoints could feature the necessary hard and software to communiate with all networks, so the users can pick the best one.

For travelling remotely I have Iridium 9575 and EPIRB (it has been a long time). I do not rely on third party services for emergency location. 9575 has SOS capability, but that is not a substitute for an EPIRB.

Two-way text via satellite is a viable option today, as are PLBs and EPIRBs, and those are only beacons. History has shown both work fine for real emergency use.
I need voice for emergency stuff, I'd never (like to) try and have an sms-conversation with 911 or similar. That's just me, of course, but I can't imagine I'm alone in that camp...

One of the satellite constellations going up may eventually deliver a Star Trek communicator like you described.
One can hope! :lol3

Oh boy, as a pilot who has flown dozens of SAR flights and been exposed to increasing risk, I want to see people using gear certified to a standard with global infrastructure... not consumer gadgets.

Oh boy, as a pilot who has flown dozens of SAR flights and been exposed to increasing risk, I want to see people using gear certified to a standard with global infrastructure... not consumer gadgets.
But what would you rather someone have a consumer gadget or nothing at all? Because, rightly or not, that's the choice a lot of people are going to make. I wonder what percentage of hikers, backpackers, skiers, and off-road riders don't carry a PLB. The downside of iPhone offering emergency satellite texting is some people might decide to quit paying a subscription on their PLB.

Garmin in reach mini probably saved my life when I crashed in the desert and broke both bones in the lower leg.
an inreach Text was all it took for the Garmin SAR folks to notify local PD, who drove right to me with a Yukon 4x4. It took LEO 2.5hours to get to me due to the remote rock filled dry river bed, and 3.5 hours to get me 70 miles out of the dirt to the ambulance that was waiting on tarmac.

Last edited:
Yep, no arguing with that. People are selfish...

Top Bottom Back Refresh