What's new

Garmin vs Phone

Which one sucks less?

• Total voters
I just use Google Maps on my android cell phone on the handle bar. Good enough for where I ride mainly in SW FL
, W NC, E TN.
20220703_111053_HDR.jpg

I have been using CoPilot app for several years and am basically happy with it. I used Zumo 550 for many years on the motorcycle and was satisfied except for never being able to understand Basecamp and all that. I really got exasperated with the lack of storage space for maps, then the buttons disintegrated. I sent it out for repair and upgrading, came back worked well for a short time then bricked itself in the middle of St Loius MO while navigating a city I'm not familiar with. I'm fine with Android, phone works but hard to see in sun, I have a 10inch tablet I could use same problem with sun, also hard to mount so visible and vibration free. I don't off road so no concerns there. This has been an informative read for this old luddite. Thank you

Brian

Here's an in-depth look at the iPhone 14's satellite capabilities, along with a comparison to the inReach system, and how a PLB compares to both.

There are more details in the video, but it's basically the same information. I think Cris does a great job on his reviews and field testing.

Globalstar, eh? Apple didn't even bother to list that at their website.

Strictly for fun. No agenda. Dark ages history. Such electronic things were science fiction.

Way younger days we spent our new years vacation fortnight out yonder on a river. This is one of the last of many. Dropped off at the 190 bridge with a pick-up rendezvous 10 days later at the 90 bridge Mexico. LOL. That’s it. Game on. Skin in…

I've been tracking this thread for almost a year now. Both options seem like decent choices but neither really fits the specific use case I am looking for. Then a few days ago I stumbled on this little guy, and it looks perfect for my needs. I'm already aware of what it can and can't do, and since it suits my needs pretty well as advertised, my main question is just this: does it perform as advertised? Does anyone here have one?

I've been tracking this thread for almost a year now. Both options seem like decent choices but neither really fits the specific use case I am looking for. Then a few days ago I stumbled on this little guy, and it looks perfect for my needs. I'm already aware of what it can and can't do, and since it suits my needs pretty well as advertised, my main question is just this: does it perform as advertised? Does anyone here have one?

It depends on what sort of riding you do. If you do a lot of road riding it works ok but it is of no use offroad if you're riding tracks that are not on the map. (I tested one two years ago on my motorbike and bicycle for the Dutch Bright YT channel). In that case you need a device such as a Garmin or a nav app that shows you the track.

I've used a lot of different mounts for my phone. I began using a Garmin 2610 mounted on the bars of my old 1150 GS Adventure.
I hated Garmin.
Still do.
P1000697-X2.jpg

My first smartphone with navigation was a first generation Motorola Android. It would not charge while navigating so it would go dead in the rental car about the time I was well and truly lost. After the first episode of that, I bought good maps when on business travel.
Google Maps were better than Garmin in that they were more correct. But, those early days the phone was useless as a navigation device on the motorcycle.
We were left to hope and wait. Eventually Motorola decided to stop supporting my phone, only a year or two after I bought it, so the apps began disappearing or just not doing anything when selected.
One not so fun element back then was some apps worked on some phones and not on others, so I switched to an iPhone.

The iPhone was more accurate for street navigation than the navigation in our car. But, at that point connecting the maps in the phone to the car wasn't yet a thing.

We could get turn by turn navigation commands over the speaker thanks to the hands-free feature in the car. So, the phone went into the little bin below the dash and actually charged while telling us where to turn. The map on the crappy car navigation screen showing us where we were.

Mostly.

The car company wanted $200 for an updated map and navigation disc that could only be installed at the dealership for another $100. Almost the price of a new Garmin handheld unit. Yeah, we never did that.

I went through a bunch of mapping applications on my phone. Too many to remember and have settled on Guru Maps Pro

P1090366-X2.jpg

I use a Perfect Squeeze mount on the dash of my 990R.

IMG_2193-X2.png

Works well. I've also used the offline mapping and nav internationally. In London we walked around using the phone as nav without a cell plan. It worked well as long as I remembered to select walk g over driving.

I used a Quadlock for a while but the case I had it attached to didn't work nearly at all for touch screen. And it had to be mounted on the center of my bars which made it hard to see in the sun. The perfect Squeeze works well as long as I remember to clamp it closed with the thumb screw.

Now I have a spare phone, I'll end up using that for navigation alone.

What I like about the phone is it is lighter than a standalone GPS unit so is easier to stow. With using just my phone I rarely use my handheld camera or even the GoPro.
This new iPhone 14 Pro is said to be quite vulnerable to vibration so I may just stow it in my pocket. Linked to my Cardo, I get turn by turn navigation. It also has satellite help capability.

I use a GPX editor on my MacBook Air to create routes and tracks for travel. I've found it far better than the old Garmin application that for me always crashed back in the windows days.
I save the GPX files I create to my cloud so I can access them when I want. I have even created routes on the Mac for my bicycle computer and it is a simple process to open them on the phone and get them into the app and onto the headhunt on the bicycle. All wirelessly.

As a family we have had a half dozen different Garmin navigation devices and I've owned two fitness watches that all were a right pain to maintain and use.

I won't go back to Garmin for navigation, though I think the latest motorcycle units are approaching what I think are good sizes. The old Max sized phones were nice sized as far as screen size for on the motorcycle. the new iPad mini is too big. They are light, but huge now.

I had to buy an Android tablet for turning the motorcycle because of the tuning app compatibility, so I initially looked at android phones that would work, but they cost more than the tablet I ended up with that is big and heavy.

KTM use a propriety app for phone interface which is from what I've read and heard is crap. It would be nice to to have a motorcycle with a flat, clear screen that worked for the motorcycle functions, navigations, media and comm all through the phone and comm units. But, we're still a ways from that happening.

Cris digs into these topics more than most. He has dozens of other in-depth reviews and hikes on his site. When he ventures to offer an opinion, it's usually based on his experience with the gear in the field, not a press release.

At the end of the video, Cris mentioned T-Mobile & ATT plan to offer some form of 5G connectivity with satellites in the near future. Between the iPhone 14, 5G-satellite, and Starlink all coming online around the same time, I think things will change in the market. In particular, I don't hear much about SPOT any more; I never thought their hardware looked as durable as Garmin's. Competition from phones may push Garmin to adopt some of the features they can enable through software, but I don't believe any of their inReach products have an accelerometer.

As use ramps up, if there are problems with Apple's distributed emergency call center approach, I hope they dump it in favor of an equivalent to the IERCC. IERCC's supported device list is heavy with Garmin products (they own the service), but others use it, like Inmarsat and ZOLEO devices.

As cool as it is having a smartphone that can access satellites, I wouldn't solely rely on one for emergency signaling because of power and durability issues. I carry a small ACR PLB on my person, an inReach enabled navigation unit on the bike, and an Android phone. I have the PLB from the Before Times when inReach was a glimmer in Delorme's defunct eyes, otherwise I probably would just have an inReach + phone.

Otoh, if my phone could access satellites, adding a PLB might be a smart way to go. No fees for a rugged little device, with decades of reliability behind the International Cospas-Sarsat Programme. Replace the battery every 5-7 years as recommended, and it should deliver at least 24 hours of service when activated.

Android devices are reportedly also getting satellite connectivity with the new qualcomm chips, https://www.qualcomm.com/news/relea...-snapdragon-satellite--the-world-s-first-sate

They'll be talking to Iridium, so that's a plus.

I can't see any reason for me having satellite comm, since I don't ride like that. I know how old I am. But, on the other hand I do tend to ride alone. So, insurance is better than none.

While I am no fan of Garmin, I am comfortable using the Montana as my only means of navigation.While in motion it works well even with gloves on and the screen is adequate for my needs.
However I feel like I need to start transitioning away from Garmin so am considering mounting an Android next to the Montana for my next trip. Kind of wean myself slowly approach.
It will also give me something to dink around with while I wait for this rain to go away.

While I am no fan of Garmin, I am comfortable using the Montana as my only means of navigation.While in motion it works well even with gloves on and the screen is adequate for my needs.
However I feel like I need to start transitioning away from Garmin so am considering mounting an Android next to the Montana for my next trip. Kind of wean myself slowly approach.
It will also give me something to dink around with while I wait for this rain to go away.
Make sure your side by side testing includes riding in a good rain shower, riding when its really hot and sunny outside (100+) and riding with gloves on. I will be interested in what your thoughts are after your testing.

I find myself using both on long rides more often than not. Google Pixel on the left, Montana 650 on the right. Both have their quirks and I think I have a preference. I am curious to hear how your experiment goes.

Make sure your side by side testing includes riding in a good rain shower, riding when its really hot and sunny outside (100+) and riding with gloves on. I will be interested in what your thoughts are after your testing.
Anything with a capacitive "multi-touch" screen fails.
The screen on the montana (and old gps units in general) is one of the pro's, although plenty of folks complain about them, lacking "pinch to zoom" and whatnot. :lol3

Anything with a capacitive "multi-touch" screen fails.
The screen on the montana (and old gps units in general) is one of the pro's, although plenty of folks complain about them, lacking "pinch to zoom" and whatnot. :lol3
So the phone fails one test, before testing even starts? :D

I love my Garmin XT especially in bright sun light. That said for dirt use and quick day rides I use my almost 10 year old Montana a lot still. Heck I even still use my real old 60CX and 76CX on shorter rides, or rides that I may be doing a lot "button" pushing because I much prefer buttons to touch screens especially on rougher terrain.

So the phone fails one test, before testing even starts? :D

I love my Garmin XT especially in bright sun light. That said for dirt use and quick day rides I use my almost 10 year old Montana a lot still. Heck I even still use my real old 60CX and 76CX on shorter rides, or rides that I may be doing a lot "button" pushing because I much prefer buttons to touch screens especially on rougher terrain.
Buttons are nice, but rubber tends to wear out (esp. when exposed to the elements).
Poking at the gps while riding sucks, buttons or not, I can give the screen a stab in the middle, but that's about it. :-)

Edit: would be neat to have 2/3 buttons on the handlebar to control the gps, sort of like one does with trip meters and road book setup.

Last edited:
When it is raining, I'm not off in the dirt, if I am, I'm stopped and not creating a bigger mess.

On paved roads in the rain, I stop and put my phone in my tank bag. Nice and dry. Rain gear on and set off because it is almost always the middle of nowhere with zero shelter from the elements.
On my last trip, on the way out, I stopped for fuel and a pitstop at a gas station just as the rain was getting serious. I went for the pitstop first, because priorities.
Then back to the pump where a lightening strike somewhere had just taken down the power.

I could easily make the next three fuel stops so no worries there. Of course hoping the power would be back on by then.
The people already pumping were stumped to what to do. No power meant no computer, no pumping of fuel and no inside register.

I skipped the fuel and rode off into the rain. That began blowing northeast ahead of me about a mile from the interstate entrance.
I eventually had to stop and get the rain gear off because I was sweating in the sauna.

Got to the campsite, a KOA, set up camp had my early dinner and the sky opened up.

Phone was dry inside the tank bag and I didn't get lost because I still had turn by turn blue toothed to my comm unit.

I started watching this fellow's channel in the background while working on the motorcycle down in the shop.

My plan is still to use either my old SE or the other old iPhone for navigation on my next trip.
I'll stick in an Otterbox or similar case, held in the Perfect Squeeze holder.

I carry a power cell and a solar charger that has served me very well over the years.

The navigation solution in that last video is very nice but expensive.

You pretty much summed up all my concerns.
Since I just bought a new Montana last summer and then loaded all the maps I need, I doubt that I’ll be making the switch anytime soon.

Ya, the Carpe Iter pad isn't cheap, but not all that bad compared to Garmin or a mid-priced cell phone. If you subtract VAT which we in the US don't have to pay it's only about $725. I think the Garmin Montana is around there and the Zumo XT isn't much cheaper. Given all the other stuff it can do it's probably a pretty good value.

Top Bottom Back Refresh