What's new

Garmin vs Phone

Which one sucks less?

• Total voters
I did not. Seems as though I had one like that, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

They're available

I'm getting ready to go on a trip and the tracks were spread over 3 computer's, two had never been connected to the Montana, I needed to connect to each and after plugging that specific cable in it connected to a Mac, a new laptop and my ancient system, I'll bet that's it.

Appreciate it. I followed your link and added it to my list. Garmin has shipped me a new cable and I should have it in a day or so. Also heading over to a friend's house to see how it does on his computer tomorrow after work. I'll post up what i find out.

I'm going to try it on a 10" tablet in my truck. Other than the Tread, have any other ruggedized options caught your eye?

Carpe Iter's store is down at the moment, so I can't see U.S. pricing: https://carpe-iter.com/carpe-iter-pad/
I have been using a Samsung Tab Active 2 WiFi only and it works well for me, $50 on Fleabay. The one issue is the inability (DMD2 is working on it) to store maps on the SD card. If they make the SD card available for maps, the TA2 would be perfect for a budget tab. If you go for the Tab Actice 3, there is more room in internal memory for maps. The TA3 also has better GPS and is somewhat faster from what I have read, no first hand experience.

I looked at a 7"(?) tablet on my DR and that was going to be way too big. Neat idea though.

A large phone (maybe SH from eBay) with a Quadlock mount (that is an iPhone in a Quad lock two posts up) might be a better option than a small tablet. Phone and tablet GPS is still relatively poor and I'd want to pair to something like Garmin Glo2 receiver.

I'm very interested to see what the problem winds up being in case something like this happens to me in the future.
Well, so far the news isn't good and I believe it's beyond my capabilities. Unit will not connect to 3 other computers. Got the official Garmin cable in today with the small round thing on it, still no connection. Did the reset, then did the hard reset, still no change. Unit still functions as a GPS, but cannot connect to Basecamp to download or upload data.

Well, so far the news isn't good and I believe it's beyond my capabilities. Unit will not connect to 3 other computers. Got the official Garmin cable in today with the small round thing on it, still no connection. Did the reset, then did the hard reset, still no change. Unit still functions as a GPS, but cannot connect to Basecamp to download or upload data.
Not a good update. Have you verified it worked on the guys Mac you bought it from?

And still works on it?

Darn. I think all of my Garmin devices have an on-screen indication that they're connected or trying to connect to a computer. Does your Montana show any indication that something has happened once it's plugged in?
The unit has the data transfer symbol when it is hooked up. But nothing comes up on any of the computers I tried. All were PCs.

The unit has the data transfer symbol when it is hooked up. But nothing comes up on any of the computers I tried. All were PCs.

The 610 has a 'share wirelessly' function though I've never tried it.
It can send and receive data using Garmin's ANT+ wireless protocol.
Apparently some phones support ANT+ natively, others require an app.

Sending and Receiving Data Wirelessly
Before you can share data wirelessly, you must be within 10 feet (3 m) of a compatible device.
Your device can send and receive data when paired with another compatible device or smartphone using ANT+ wireless ® technology.
You can share waypoints, geocaches, routes, and tracks. NOTE: This feature is not available for all device models.
1 Select Share Wirelessly.
2 Select an option: • Select Send, and select a type of data. • Select Receive to receive data from another device. The other compatible device must be attempting to send data.
3 Follow the on-screen instructions.

Perhaps also try Setup > System > Interface and try setting it to some of the other modes, ensuring it's unplugged from any computer when changing.

Would it connect to the other (PO's) computer? If not it sounds to me like the GPS may be damaged.

Would it connect to the other (PO's) computer? If not it sounds to me like the GPS may be damaged.
I'll see him this weekend, we live about 5 hours apart, and send it with him to try on his computer. We'll see how it goes from there, but I'm suspecting there is something wrong with the 610. What is most aggravating to me is the unit can't be serviced. Garmin told me that unit is no longer supported and they can't/won't diagnose or repair.

I'll see him this weekend, we live about 5 hours apart, and send it with him to try on his computer. We'll see how it goes from there, but I'm suspecting there is something wrong with the 610. What is most aggravating to me is the unit can't be serviced. Garmin told me that unit is no longer supported and they can't/won't diagnose or repair.
The 610 has been out since circa 2015. That's a long time in the world of throw away electronics. How many 2015 Cell Phones are still supported?

You do have another potential option. I had a new screen put in my Montana 600 not that long ago by the Palm Dr. He has also repaired a couple Zumo 550's for me in the past.

It wouldn't hurt to contact him before you throw in the towel.

The 610 has a 'share wirelessly' function though I've never tried it.
It can send and receive data using Garmin's ANT+ wireless protocol.
Apparently some phones support ANT+ natively, others require an app.

Perhaps also try Setup > System > Interface and try setting it to some of the other modes, ensuring it's unplugged from any computer when changing.
We used that function before a ride and it's pretty slick. Before we took off I shared the tracks with 2 other riders, it was pretty easy.

We used that function before a ride and it's pretty slick. Before we took off I shared the tracks with 2 other riders, it was pretty easy.
Perhaps it can enable Gravelcruiser to keep using an otherwise ok device if it turns out the computer connection won't work.
Backing up tracks or waypoints desired to be kept to a phone and then transferring to the PC, or transferring from the phone to the 610 etc..
I see there's the option to send waypoints, routes, tracks and geocaches, not sure what can be received, probably only the same I guess.

Another way to get around not having a USB connection is use a MicroSD card in the 610.
It will read maps, tracks, waypoints etc. from a card, easy to edit what's on it by removing and using a card reader to access.

Top Bottom Back Refresh