What's new

Gear

Grendel

Chaplain
Mod
Member Number
So, in July some friends and I are flying to Finland, to do some riding and also to see the MotoGP.

I'll be on a rented 1050 V-Strom. We'll be staying in rustic hotels and the like.

I am limited to what I can bring on a plane, from the States, through Amsterdam and finally to Finland.

What do you suggest? I am thinking complete, american made, Aerostitch water proof leathers, my Alpine star kevlar boots, several sets of gloves and I need a new lid with coms.

Suggestions appreciated

Last edited:
Any chance you could mail a bunch of stuff over there to meet you there?

General route of the motorcycling will be something similar to below.

Tuesday drive to Viitasaari area through back country roads to a cottage where we will stay on Tuesday evening. One of the riders knows a former autocross champion and we are going to try and ride on the old roads where the Autocross race happens. This MIGHT be possible but we will have to check if his contact from the Toyota team is available for this. We also may do some night fishing in the finnish lakes.

Wednesday we will drive to the island to the east of Varkaus on some nice roads and stay at a nice traditional Finnish hotel where we can have a sauna and a nice evening.

Thursday we will drive east near the border of Russia and Finland and drive some nice roads through the islands in this area and even up back at the hotel in Lahti.

Thursday evening we will meet the people coming in for the race. They can take the train to Lahti direct from the HEL airport and meet us there for a fun evening in Lahti.

Friday through Sunday the race events and festival go from 0900-1900 everyday and we will arrange for transport back and forth from hotel in Lahti. See below map for rough idea as of now.

Attachments

• ride.jpg
    ride.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 27
Stop liking this shit and start recommending gear for this NH guy to go ride in Finland and Russia. :)

If you can or want to do any "sightseeing" I would suggest doing it before you start your Moto trip. Maybe take a day or two on arrival to eliminate the jet lag.

The BIG advantage of taking a day: if your checked bags are delayed in any way, it will not affect your ride.

Without that slack time built in, if your gear is delayed, your trip gets delayed.

That's one reason why I now store a complete set of riding gear with the bike I keep in Heidelberg.

Sounds like a great trip!

We need a Sponsors or Someone to issue
Testing gear/stuff that they sell,
Good
Bad
Or ugly

So, in July some friends and I are flying to Finland, to do some riding and also to see the MotoGP.

I'll be on a rented 1050 V-Strom. We'll be staying in rustic hotels and the like.

I am limited to what I can bring on a plane, from the States, through Amsterdam and finally to Finland.

What do you suggest? I am thinking complete, american made, Aerostitch water proof leathers, my Alpine star kevlar boots, several sets of gloves and I need a new lid with coms.

Suggestions appreciated
Cool. Nothing wrong with waterproof leathers in Finnish summer.

I'm in Helsinki so if there's anything I can help with just reach out.

I would suggest boots and helmet as carry on, other gear is easy to replace if luggage gets lost. Are you doing any camping or is it all hotel etc? For hotel basically clothing is all you need.

How much experience do you have camping off your bike? Do you know how to pack light and bring just the necessary stuff? Sounds like your tuxedo won't be needed.

A silk sleeping bag liner is a great tiny accessory that will serve you well in less than stellar accommodations. Good for hygiene and I hear they will keep out bedbugs as well.

I didn't have any issue bringing all my gear for an offroad rally in Mongolia but you're probably carrying different gear. Agreed make sure you have good waterproof riding gear however you want to set it up. In Finland you'll want to be prepared for cold weather too.

Have a look at your electronics, cameras, phones, tablet etc. Ask yourself how you will charge it all and make sure you have appropriate accessories. If you think you want it double check how to get your phone set up for use over there.

Good socks are worth the $$!

Back
Top Bottom