What's new

Goldwings go here…..

I snagged a '76 to make my long haul bike, so far I have gotten it running well enough to blast up the road, but haven't cleaned the carbs yet so no idling.

Had to put in a starter, the old brushes were coffee grounds spread all over.

Someone put comstars on it, and it has 1100 carbs which I hear don't work great but work OK on a 1000.

I snagged a '76 to make my long haul bike, so far I have gotten it running well enough to blast up the road, but haven't cleaned the carbs yet so no idling.

Had to put in a starter, the old brushes were coffee grounds spread all over.

Someone put comstars on it, and it has 1100 carbs which I hear don't work great but work OK on a 1000.
Sounds neat, have any pictures of it?

Last edited:
My Goldwing is a Starship…..!

That's how this thread started and I don't disagree. I have owned many dozens of bikes over the years and I've lost count of how many but I have never owned a Goldwing until now. It's definitely not a starship but for $200 I don't expect it to be.

It's an '82 GL1100 with 13,000 miles that has been sitting in a barn for a few decades. I was able to briefly fire it up with starting fluid so I am ready to invest a little more time into it but I'm not sure how it will work out. There has to be a reason that this relatively expensive low mileage bike was parked long ago.:hmmmmm

Here are a few pictures.....
1661186277750.png

1661186303673.png

1661186329584.png

1661186353004.png

1661186379248.png

T

Last edited:
My Goldwing is a Starship…..!

That's how this thread started and I don't disagree. I have owned many dozens of bikes over the years and I've lost count of how many but I have never owned a Goldwing until now. Mine is not a starship but for $200 I don't expect it to be.

It's an '82 GL1100 with 13,000 miles that has been sitting in a barn for a few decades. I was able to briefly fire it up with starting fluid so I am ready to invest a little more time into it but I'm not sure how it will work out. There has to be a reason that this relatively expensive low mileage bike was parked long ago.:hmmmmm

Here are a few pictures.....
1661186277750.png

1661186303673.png

1661186329584.png

1661186353004.png

1661186379248.png

T

85 mph speedo, from the dark days.

Mine, like that is not how it looks.

It's BACK !
Everyone is happy. Wife likes the seat heat. I've got the BT drama sorted so music+com is working nicely. [UWSL]XM so we can listen to "her" station. [/UWSL]

[UWSL]Bike is a hit with the wife for sure. [/UWSL]
I'm having 1st world problems with it.

1. Speed limiter
2. Min CC settable speed
3. It was supposed to be "the other bike". It's going to end more like coexisting equally with the Ninja.

The wing is hitting a mental sweet spot for me. Encourages me to chill, but is only a right thumb click away from party time.
Granted it's not a rolling hookers in cocaine party like the H2SX, but it's at least R rated fun.

PXL_20220826_000126648.jpg

This is about max ADV for the Wing so far. Mushy gravel is sketchy with this thing. That's probably the 1 metric the voyager beat this bike.

IMG_20220827_121652~2.jpg

Good old Joan Claybook head on NHTSA thought those speedos would slow people down

For the ones with no pin, the other distinguishing marks on the face were always mentally calibrated. The "N" in "Japan" looks to be a skosh over 100.

I'm learning what this bike is capable of, 16 hundred miles to north fla.1st day was 530 miles of interstate and 4 lane, on any bike before this would have been torture, but with cruise, stereo and wind management it was a breeze.
Next 2 1/2 days where se buckeye, wva, sw va, NC. A bike this large shouldn't be so easy to ride on mountain roads.

If it just had more leg room, spending a week or so here then headed back home, route uncertain.

Attachments

• 20220908_161500.jpg
    20220908_161500.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'm learning what this bike is capable of, 16 hundred miles to north fla.1st day was 530 miles of interstate and 4 lane, on any bike before this would have been torture, but with cruise, stereo and wind management it was a breeze.
Next 2 1/2 days where se buckeye, wva, sw va, NC. A bike this large shouldn't be so easy to ride on mountain roads.

If it just had more leg room, spending a week or so here then headed back home, route uncertain.
Yes, it most definitely a great handling machine. If you are a person that like to exceed its 42 degree lean angle, you will find that your Mick-O-Pegs mounting block will start dragging. If that happens, you can purchase mounts that place the Mick-O-Pegs on the vertical engine guard. Even with that, if you keep pushing the 'ole gal, you will still drag the mounting blocks, just not as soon. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

What's the deal with "Warning Reduce speed to under 50mph when light is on" ?

"Air pressure in the forks is a recommended 14 to 21 psi. Rear air pressure should be between 28 and 43 psi. If shock pressure drops below 28 psi a red warning light in the tach blinks above a label that cautions the rider to slow down to under 50 mph."

Anyone good with the CANBUS ways of the 6th gen?

Need to figure out 2 things.
1. Where to relay feed for high beam lights?
2. Must that relay be solid state?

Top Bottom Back Refresh