- Buy Thin Sliced Round or Thin Sliced Flank Steak (or Cut the flank steak into thin fillets); about 1/4-inch-thick and 3 to 4 inches wide. Gently hammer steak to shape if needed.
- In 6 qt cast iron dutch oven or large casserole dish, heat bacon to semi-cook it. Save the grease in the dutch oven.
- Generously spread one side of each filet with mustard to taste.
- Place semi-cooked bacon, onions and ¼ or ½ Dill spear pickle slices on each filet and form into a roll. Use string or toothpicks to hold the roll together.
- Heat Dutch Oven over medium heat and sear the Rouladen in the bacon grease evenly on all sides. Alternatively, you can Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Place the rolls in the bacon grease or butter and sauté until browned.
- Place all Rouladen in the dutch oven. Add 3/4 qt. beef broth to the Rouladen.
- Set oven to 350 and cook for 1.25 hour.
- Boil pealed potatoes, recommend red or yellow potatoes.
- Make a gravy from the drippings of the cast iron Dutch oven. Trick is to use the potato water for the starch to make the gravy.
- Serve Hot.