What's new

Great Recipes

I would be impressed with deep fried egg yolks. I want to try but wow. Very delicate and what a pain. There are a few videos. Maybe I can stir up some mojo and make it happen.

DEEP FRIED EGG YOLKS

Seems simple enough

Trying to watch carbs and sugars has me looking at new things. Our local Mexican joint just came out with a new dish of Keto Alambres: Chicken, Steak, a touch of chorizo all grilled up with summer squash and some other veggies. Pretty solid and easy enough to recreate at home.

Octopus Ceviche / Ceviche de Pulpo

1644250944229.png

Ingredients:

• Octopus
  • Lime Juice
  • Red Onion
  • Serrano or Jalapeno Peppers (or Habanero if you love heat)
  • Cilantro
  • Olive Oil

1. In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add the octopus and cook for 30 minutes over medium heat. Once cooked, let cool and dice into small 1-inch slices
  2. Place the octopus in a bowl, add the lime juice, onions, chiles, cilantro, olive oil, salt and pepper, and let marinate for a couple of hours.
  3. Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper.
  4. Serve chilled with tortillas and garnishes, as desired.
1644251055005.png
Please try not to eat octopus, they're cleverer than many (most?) people!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see something that stores well on a four day trip. My big problem is I can EAT. Dinner for me is about two pounds if not more. Love to cook something up at the campsite, but lugging that food around I run into space issues and I think meats will spoil.

Let's see what ya got !
Got several recipes I haven't written down that need to go in the book, and a few recipes with we're still perfecting before it earns it's place in the little green book 😁

A couple favorites.

IMG_20230620_124422927.jpg

Served over rice and vegetables, of course.

IMG_20230620_124503929.jpg

Homemade tortillas will spoil you. It's worth the effort. You won't want those gummy store bought things again.

A friend from Finland hooked me up with the best mustard that ever was. It makes wonderful homemade mayo that I turn makes wonderful homemade horseradish sauce, tartar sauce, etc. Homemade condiments are a game changer.

I'd like to see something that stores well on a four day trip. My big problem is I can EAT. Dinner for me is about two pounds if not more. Love to cook something up at the campsite, but lugging that food around I run into space issues and I think meats will spoil.
Potatoes and onions don't need refrigeration and can't hardly be crushed in a saddle bag. A chunk of salt cured ham is the same. Shove en anywhere in your bag. I've ridden with potatoes in my jacket pockets plenty of times 😁

Enough salt and fat will come out of the ham that it'll season the potatoes and keep things from sticking without you carrying anything else to cook with.

None of those ingredients will care if you drop your bike in a creek and soak them. They're still fine. Grab a piece of fresh fruit when you stop for gas and munch on that while filling up. Enjoy fried potatoes and a food coma that evening at the campground 😁

Smoked jowl is another meat that's easy to carry and you can cram it wherever it'll fit. Carrying raw meat around on a bike camping trip isn't worth it IMO. Cured meat is the ticket. But not that shit they call beef jerky at the gas station. You don't have to pay $8 for two ounces of trash food that's closer to solidified toothpaste than it is meat.

Potatoes. Never even considered that. derp

Never even heard of smoked jowl.

Well now I just want ham and taters for dinner. haha

Potatoes. Never even considered that. derp

Never even heard of smoked jowl.

Well now I just want ham and taters for dinner. haha
Oh man, you're missing out if you've never had hog jowls. I know it sound ultra redneck, but there's not really any good name for it. Cheek meat, sweet meat.

Think bacon, but sweeter, with a pork rind on one side. Yeah buddy 👍

Fat back? Country ham? I live in pork country. Smoked jowls is across the street from my house at the general store. They make their own sausage. And dried. Dried country sausage, potatoes and onions is on time. No seasonings or oil needed. They also claim pigs feet is the best. But I have never tried eating or cooking. But I can buy em.

Yeah, I haven't been hungry enough to eat feet. I've seen folks digging the meat out between the toes...it ain't for me

Spamalicious

Ingredients
1 Tin of SPAM - diced
3 TBLs Garlic Chili spice
2 TBLs Crushed Garlic
1 Cup Salted Cashews
2 Cups Fresh Mushrooms - diced
2 Cups Fresh Spinach Leaves

Fry Diced Spam with Chili and Garlic
Add in Mushrooms, toss
Add in Cashews and Spinach

1687388261017-png.57058

Serve over Noodles or Rice

1687388292589-png.57059

10 min tops to make all of it.

I cooked burgers last night. I always make mine last. Covered in provolone topped with an egg over medium. Then smothered with cooked onions and jalapeños. No bun so I guess it could be a hamburger steak. This is my favorite burger besides the southern "all the way". Which should only be mustard, chili and onions...

Tonight was brats, onions, peppers and local small yellow squash. I threw in a handful of instant rice towards the end. I never measure. But I used last nights seasoned cast iron to cook a one skillet meal tonight.

So you decided to steer into the Spam. Bold move.
[UWSL]Spam, was introduced to the market in 1937, its name a portmanteau for spiced ham. [/UWSL]
[UWSL][/UWSL]
One particularly pervasive myth insists that its name is actually an acronym for "Scientifically Processed Animal Matter"

It keeps well, it travels well, and is beloved the world over.

1687437418282.png

Spamalicious

Ingredients
1 Tin of SPAM - diced
3 TBLs Garlic Chili spice
2 TBLs Crushed Garlic
1 Cup Salted Cashews
2 Cups Fresh Mushrooms - diced
2 Cups Fresh Spinach Leaves

Fry Diced Spam with Chili and Garlic
Add in Mushrooms, toss
Add in Cashews and Spinach

1687388261017-png.57058

Serve over Noodles or Rice

1687388292589-png.57059

10 min tops to make all of it.
There's absolutely no call for eating Spam if you can afford cashews 😂

Joking. You're right. There's nothing sinister about Spam. The copycat Treet is another matter, though. There's so much sugar in that "meat" that I caramelized in the pan when I tried to fry it. That shit just ain't right.

Reactions: MVI
Top Bottom Back Refresh