What's new

GSA seat issues

My stock seat is at Russell now and due to be worked on next week.

Hey Bill,

Thanks for posting! I saw some different pics of your setup on the "other" forum and liked the setup. I'm awaiting another set of riding shorts to try out before taking the plunge you did and will report back with my findings.

The only issue with Russell is the long lead time. You have to make an appointment to send your seat in and they are usually scheduled pretty far out time wise. But they seem to be able to meet their scheduled date building your seat.
You must have a seat to send them, they have no seat pans to work with.
So if you're even thinking about Russell it might be a good idea to just call them and take the next available time, then if you change your mind call them and cancel. They will have no problem finding someone to take your slot. That's how I got mine done so soon, I called them and someone had just canceled so I got my seat the last of February instead of middle of May.

The only issue with Russell is the long lead time. You have to make an appointment to send your seat in and they are usually scheduled pretty far out time wise. But they seem to be able to meet their scheduled date building your seat.
You must have a seat to send them, they have no seat pans to work with.
So if you're even thinking about Russell it might be a good idea to just call them and take the next available time, then if you change your mind call them and cancel. They will have no problem finding someone to take your slot. That's how I got mine done so soon, I called them and someone had just canceled so I got my seat the last of February instead of middle of May.
Thanks, Bill. I'm still in the preliminary stage of testing specialized riding shorts before going the custom route. That said, I can tell just by looking at the Russell that's it's a comfortable and well built product.

I'm not bagging on moto skevies since I understand they have extra padding made in. If you're riding in tighty whitey style underwear then you are sitting on a seam that can cause a lot of discomfort. Hanes has normal boxer briefs they call X Temp or something. Synthetic, breathable, wicking, all that stuff that "base layer" companies brag on. And they really are awesome at keeping you dry. Coming out of the washing machine they are dry already. No need to hang or run them through a dryer. I do physical labor and am surprised how much more comfortable there are compared to cotton. Grabbed them by accident and won't be going back. Don't won't to be gross, but I certainly stay drier working in hot Southern wester. And being boxer briefs it eliminates that seam under your butt cheek that will create a hotspot and eventually start aching.

Certainly less "technical" than $75 riding shorts, but for $15 for a four pack it's a good test if you're currently rocking tighty whities as that underwear seam you're sitting on could solely be what's making your seat uncomfortable. I've been there. Just a more affordable option for someone that may be struggling with seat comfort.

Cotton undies are a definite no-no if you want to keep swamp-ass/monkey-butt away... And yes you don't need to spend a fortune on "technical" underwear either... YMMV

Cotton undies are a definite no-no if you want to keep swamp-ass/monkey-butt away... And yes you don't need to spend a fortune on "technical" underwear either... YMMV
I've not worn cotton undies since my first long distance trip in '02. Lesson learned the hard way especially on the return leg that was most uncomfortable. Soon afterwards, I ordered some riding shorts and socks from Aerostitch and my butt thanked me.

Did an 1,800 mile ride last week to the southern tip of Texas, Brownsville area, on my new, blue, Russell Sport saddle. It was great! Don''t know if it rides better than my previous Russell Day Long but it felt just as good. And for what it's worth I think it looks better. The farther I rode the more I liked it.

I always ride in REI synthetic undies, I have two pair and usually wash every night. I carry a small bottle of laundry detergent and wash underwear and socks almost every night. If the just washed stuff isn't dry enough the next morning I have one extra pair of socks and underwear to wear. Synthetic stuff will usually be dry in the morning though.

I’ve been pretty happy with these and price is not too bad.

https://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001M0MMYO?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
I had those as well for a while but switched to Under Armor as they fit the man bits a little better... YMMV
FWIW, I currently have these and will order another mesh set...

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p/underwear/mens_ua_tech_9_boxerjock_–_2-pack/1363622.html
https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/p/underwear/mens_ua_tech_mesh_9_boxerjock_–_2-pack/1363624.html

I've already purchased the Motoskiveez and the initial results are good. As the weather improves, I'll have more opportunities to do some serious hours and then I'll know for sure.

How's your Russell seat?
It will be here Thursday. I expect it will be excellent as always! I guess I have a Russell butt!

Years ago I finally decided to give them a try after not being happy with anything else. Best money I've ever spent on a bike!

The only thing I didn't like about the Moto-skivvies was that there is no fly???? Makes the pit stop unnecessarily awkward IMO.
I questioned them about that and they referenced "the smoking gun." The gent I spoke to was laughing and so was I.

Mike

For what it is worth, I have both RDL and Seat Concepts for my 08 R1200 GSA. I like them both but like the profile of the Seat Concepts better so it is the one on the bike currently. I do not think you can go wrong with either of them....my 02 cents

Top Bottom Back Refresh