What's new

Harbor Freight parachute hammock

Looks like a levitating tent magic trick.

Thanks for the info. That’s really why I want to try a cheap one and get some idea of what I’d really want if I decided hammocks could work for me.
I hear yea, but a cheap hammock will turn you off BIG TIME. It'll be the worst nights sleep you get.

That Blackbird is neat, because of its design you sleep angled from the tree- almost flat. Not "bananad" up. Also has two tops, a big pouch to hold your wallet and stuff, a pocket under you for an air mattress. Its really slick.

it can be hit or miss. one of the pics above, there were no trees in the site. so I set it off to the edge. getting ready for bed, all I smell is dog shit. click my light on, the entire ground under the hammock was dog shit. that's where the park crew shoveled it up and tossed it. then sometimes you don't have two trees that the right distance apart. some places don't allow hammocks. its not a bad setup, but I almost prefer the tent. if its a place I'm familiar with and am returning to knowing it will work, I'll bring the hammock.

woods pretty much covered it. The length of the hammock and how you lay are important. And he's right, it's a rabbit hole for sure! The one i linked is a 10.5' hammock which is about as short as you want to go to get a nice diagonal, flat lay. I also agree that if you test with a cheapie 9' hammock you will never go any further. Here is a video that gives a little insight to the gathered end hammock. Shug, the creator, has tons of informative and entertaining videos to guide you on your way. Shug's Hammock Video

Trying out the hammock life with a cheap big box store hammock is akin to trying motorcycle riding as an adult on a PW50. Sure it might be fun short term but you will hurt in the end.

Take a look at any basic hammock sold by a cottage vendor. You can usually get into a properly sized basic hammock for $50-100.

Of course, once you are hooked you will probably buy a $300 hammock and wish you had just started out with that :uhoh

There is also a forum for the hard core hammock enthusiast: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php

Top Bottom Back Refresh