What's new

"Hate BMWs".... Deep Deep sigh.

Pump out Plumbed the fuel through the hole with a magnet and pulled out nothing, not a slither of glitter to be seen. Wanted to change filter in back arch before i tried it but impatience got the better of me, and flushed with my new found knowledge there was no metal shavings in the tank lurking. I threw the pump back in collar screwed on wires reconnected,
Multi meter check power ... " Yes "...."Nothing" ...."hang on its" .... "Its".. "ON". ....... "Nothing" . But Picking the wiring back of the pump connector i got the Power there and the intermittent fuel gauge quadrant illumination came good . But the pump is super slow tried it and it was like it had a blocked fuel filter( Which it might well have)and soone as you reved it it died out. moved it around at tickocver but it got worse died blew a fuse to stop me fooling with it. fuse replaced it powered pump again i turned it off instant.
Fillter then pump tomorrow, Well ill buy a pump off EBAY Tomorrow put it that way.
Timing chain sounds ok but i am concerned i want to change the chains, but its a big job, but if they go twang i am into another engine or lots of parts to repair this engine.
. Its really been simple, if i had just stuck with the obvious eliphant in the room i would have been there days ago, but i went charging about tilting at windmills and really did way too much investigating with the injectors etc.

Just changed diesel filter, was a rear off side wheel off and unfasten the arch panel to access it, was simple enough job unclip heater eliment and pipe and fit new filter. Cut open old one it looked ready for a change and good thing is no metal present.

Sounds lie a 'lectrical problem, then. Glad to hear there are no mechanical maladies to remedy. Do you plan on swapping the pump? Seems to me that may be the problem, if it's showing high current draw. Not sure if the new mini run a CANBUS system, but the computer may be shutting off the power to the pump on high current draw if that's the case.

Sounds lie a 'lectrical problem, then. Glad to hear there are no mechanical maladies to remedy. Do you plan on swapping the pump? Seems to me that may be the problem, if it's showing high current draw. Not sure if the new mini run a CANBUS system, but the computer may be shutting off the power to the pump on high current draw if that's the case.
Its Ok on the cambus, its got power only lost it when it blew a fuse, not simple to find ewas in Injection under bonet box, and i lost the Fuel gauge ut only when initialy turned on ignition, if i tried to start it as soon as button pressed it powered the gauge but not the pump strangely which sujests to me a relay is used , But again not sure which relay or where. there is a Big relay in the Kick panel fuse board but no idea what it is. 20 years ago you would walk in a dealers ask a workshop tech , an d almost without exeption, they would bend over backwards to help or explain a solution for free, was like a badge of pride thing. These days walk in a dealers and you got a very prety well endowed woman sat at a desk, and she will take your booking for a in shop vehichle test no problem, but getting past her tits to speak to a lad or lass on the shop floor for advice is simply not an option anymore.

All nthis hairy old greaser took from a dealer visit was a hint of a pair of 38c cups proped up niceley with probably a triumph bra, and a dash of cleavage via the two button undone blouse.
Old unkempt and a spedthrift gets you no where in todays societey, if i had walked in in a tatersall shirt and cram trousers a shiney pair of brown brougue shoes i would have fitted in nice, i dont think my iron maiden T shirt complete with holes a dash of thbis mornings breakfast a oilly pair of jeans riger boots and a RNT duck calls camo cap with oil on the brim on the right side where i put it on, did not cut any mustard with that woman, in fact i doubt she ever seen anything quite like me afore. just sayin. she was ok breast wise her arse was big and calves a bit fat for her 30 something years, but the tits looked to be her own so make of that what you will. :lol2

^ :rofl So true though about the 'service' these days in some places. That's why I like mom and pop places and I am fortunate enough to have a great BMW motorbike dealer near me...

It must be a pain in the fucking ass to work in such constrained space on that car.

It must be a pain in the fucking ass to work in such constrained space on that car.
Most stuff on that diesel is fairly accessible to be fair, the fuel filter in the rear wheel arch is annoying but ok once you remove the back wheel, arch is fairly well made sturdy and went back with no dramas unlike some plastic trim.
As for like the Timing chains.... WOW! i mean come on only BMW could ever put a chain between the engine and the clutch at the back on RWD N47/ N57 cars how dumb is that?
In the case of the MINI its very stripable, the whole front end comes off fairly easy and its straight out the open front. its a faff i agree but its just wait for it to warm up next week or so and its going to be an ok sort of job, once its done its done should get a few years from it if i change oil regular etc. was freezing cold today under shed and it is snow here at moment, not ideal my hearts just into the bit of work i have done so far, motor out... No its got to warm up a bit before i attempt that arthritis and old age demand this. PS i need a four post hydraulic car ramp heard about a workshop moving sites and two for free today mate is looking into it hope it comes off, i am sure such a gem will make life a lot easier for us all here. .

Realistically. I have zero option than to change out the chains if i am serious about running this thing any time.
The disaters are literaly all over the internet.
Just take a look at this N57, Ok a 3 L 6 cylinder but same basic engine / chain layout and everything at risk just the same.
Look at this fiasco. it is a stark case of prevention being better than cure. look here. Nightmare.

I fitted a used tank/ lift pump this evening, it was delivered at 4PM Just £30. It powered up reliably and sounded much more vigorous than the old one .
It clicked out under the bonnet pushed the start button and car started immediately. Went for a drive and it was fine quite responsive for a 1600cc diesel and thing that struck me most was how torquey it felt. Ok its a light car and 94hp is not bad for a power to weight point of view.
I am going to do the chains though dispute it sounding quiet, its a job i agree but i think its worth it for peace of mind, i just know given my luck if i run it it will go twang and the engine will be impractical to repair for me financially and sensibly after all its a cheap 2010 car. .

I have just parked this car up for a few weeks until it warms / dries up.
Its Fine to work temps wise in the garage now, and its time to make a move replacing this problematic timing chain before it wrecks this engine.
Its Not noisy and it should in theory be the latter improved chain layout in a 2010 mini 1.6 D , But i just have to swap it and put the doubts on irregular maintenance to sleep for good, once its done its up to me to keep it maintained and thus reliable.
I dont even want to drive it about at the moment, the hand grenade reputation of these chains( Tensioner) and the damage they creat by failing is prompting enough for me to spend a bit more of the hard earned and have that peace of mind .

Top Bottom Back Refresh