What's new

HD 120th Anniversary Models

Amazing that they would finance something likely considered a discretionary purchase for that long. A second car payment, plus required insurance, for 8 years.
Last time I looked, their financial arm was in pretty bad shape due to defaults on loans too. Seems like a pretty poor choice on both sides.

Ugh. How are there so many on the road at those prices? Jeez.
I ask myself the same thing. I've done jobs for people that have new Harley's in the garage but can't afford to get their furnace replaced. Sadly, I often can't get them approved for credit either.

One dude made 6 figures a year and I couldn't get him financed for a $2500 job. Bro...that's like one week's pay for you. What are you doing??

I ask myself the same thing. I've done jobs for people that have new Harley's in the garage but can't afford to get their furnace replaced. Sadly, I often can't get them approved for credit either.

One dude made 6 figures a year and I couldn't get him financed for a $2500 job. Bro...that's like one week's pay for you. What are you doing??
Priorities... growing up, my Mom used to say "I'll bet they live in a shack" when she'd see someone driving a new Caddy. Even more so today than then with the skewed prices of big ticket items.

Priorities... growing up, my Mom used to say "I'll bet they live in a shack" when she'd see someone driving a new Caddy. Even more so today than then with the skewed prices of big ticket items.
Accurate.

I get a behind the scenes look at a lot of people through my work. And, the people in new cars, new houses, new bikes, Dunkins coffee four times a day, etc., are completely upside down on everything. They live on monthly payments.

The richest people I know, some billionaires (I think?) drive fifteen year old vehicles and shop at thrift stores. The most impressive was a guy in jeans and a white tee-shirt handing me something like a $65,000 check, no receipt, and hopped into his rusted out 2005 short bed F350. The CEO of a major appliance/tool company lives in a house assessed for $350,000 and drives an early 2000s Camry.

96 month motorcycle loan?! I haven't seen one of those yet but if the interest rate is low and inflation continues, that wouldn't be a bad deal so long as the debtor can afford the payments and a possible underwater resale. I'd have to run the numbers but there's nothing like repaying a lender using depreciated dollars, especially if the person can use the money he would have paid in an all-cash deal and invested those funds instead, earning an aftertax return that equaled or exceeded the loan interest.

But. We all know that those 96 month loans are aimed at financially marginal buyers, not savvy investors. As for the financing arm of HD, its rising loan default rate was a leading indicator of the housing meltdown. I haven't looked at it but I'm guessing it's creeping up. Default rates on auto loans have been going up.

Danville is an affluent suburb in the East Bay. Typical $5m-$10m houses. A real estate broker over there once told me that, yeah, the houses are impressively priced and are purchased by people who you would assume could easily swing the cost, but a lot of the houses are pretty sparsely furnished or partly empty. The broker said that while the buyers could afford the house they couldn't afford the furniture. I always thought that was fascinating. Basically, hand to mouth on a higher plateau.

I had a buddy back in the eighties, who bought a new Caddy every year, spending much more pimping it out. Then he'd start all over again. He lived in - not quite a shack, but not far from it. His answer was; "You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house."

Last edited:
I had a buddy back in the eighties, who bought a new Caddy every year, spending much more pimping it out. Then he'd start all over again. He lived in - not quite a shack, but not far from it. His answer was; "You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house."
I remember the song they wrote about him 😁

You can get a 135 ci motor you can drop in your fav HD:

That's a 2212 cc engine :eek7

avidson-Screamin-Eagle-135ci-Stage-IV-Crate-Engine.jpg

When you think of it as two individual liter engines joined at the hip, and then think about what a thumper liter bike would be like...yeah, there's torque there, baby.

Top Bottom Back Refresh