What's new

Heli-Coil vs time-sert vs other? - Application specific?

My general rule of thumb is a helicoil for something that doesn't come apart often, and a Timesert for something that does, if it fits.

Also for low torque applications, use a low torque torque wrench, like a calibrated 0-20 nm one that I have. Torque wrenches can be way out at the extreme end of their range. Best to use them in the middle half of their range when they are most accurate.

I’m not sure what you are asking.
by engagement I mean the 30 mm bolt threads into the case 8.5 mm
Being sarcastic as aluminum thread depth should be 2 x diameter. And I am actually impressed with you taking the time to measure. 6mm screw doesnt even thread 1.5 x diameter. So I guess to keep stock length screw an insert is the way to go.

Last edited:
So for giggles I just checked that bolt on my 701
30 mm bolt with 8.5 mm thread engagement
hole depth 42 mm but a 40 mm bolt runs out of threads
35 mm bolt works
if you pulled out the first 30 mm of threads I’m guessing a bottom tap down to 40 mm then
cutting a bolt to 39 would give you more threads then factory.

Being sarcastic as aluminum thread depth should be 2 x diameter. And I am actually impressed with you taking the time to measure. 6mm screw doesnt even thread 1.5 x diameter. So I guess to keep stock length screw an insert is the way to go.
See, now this is interesting. KTM did use bolts (screws? While are at it... Is it aluminum or aluminium?) that were too short! 🤣

EDIT
Sipping my coffee this morning and going down the rabbit hole looking at OEM parts to see if there are any KTM 6mmx35mm screws (so I can keep the neat torx/external hex configuration)... I have realized that I may have fucked up...

Screenshot_20220908-063506.png

Note that there are three different screw specs for the cover... 3 and 5 are 25mm length (5 adds loctite)... 4 is a 30mm screw.

When I pulled it off, I kept track of 5 because I saw it in the torque sheet... Did not notice a difference in the rest.

I'm gonna bet I used a 25mm long screw when I needed the 30mm one

Now I feel like a dumbass. I'm my defense though, the torque chart in the manual didn't mention the 30mm long screw... There are 35mm long screws for the clutch slave cylinder though.

/EDIT

The #4 on the right side is my problem hole right now.

The most-right answer might be both a Heli-Coil repair on the buggered hole and a new set of 35mm screws/bolts for the cover (well, except the one that goes into the timing chain area).

Now I need to measure out whether I have to find some fully threaded 35mm long 6mm fasteners, or if the cover gives enough space for a partially threaded one ...

Last edited:
My general rule of thumb is a helicoil for something that doesn't come apart often, and a Timesert for something that does, if it fits.

Also for low torque applications, use a low torque torque wrench, like a calibrated 0-20 nm one that I have. Torque wrenches can be way out at the extreme end of their range. Best to use them in the middle half of their range when they are most accurate.
My 1/4" drive wrench fits that description... 2-22 NM. Granted, it's not calibrated. It's been a hot minute since I've been around work that called for regularly calibrated gauges and tools.

Now if only my torque screwdriver wasn't limited to 65 in-lbs...

Heck I'm just trying to find the correct spelling of a common alloy. I really like to call it... metal cheesium.

Had to toss in some edits now that I know that, as is usual, I am actually the idiot in this situation.

Sigh...

Had to toss in some edits now that I know that, as is usual, I am actually the idiot in this situation.

Sigh...
I'm kinda lost. Do you have enough material to roll the threads deeper with a 6mm screw with a small taper and then measure the new thread depth and cut a custom length screw?

I'm kinda lost. Do you have enough material to roll the threads deeper with a 6mm screw with a small taper and then measure the new thread depth and cut a custom length screw?
Haven't gotten to a wrench yet... Busy working on moving and showing up at a new duty station tomorrow.

Heli-Coil is a success. A longer bolt (clutch slave, m6x35) likely could have also solved the problem.

But, as has been shown, I can't be trusted to pay attention to bolt length, so everything still follows the manual.

Back
Top Bottom