What's new

Helmets, what's the what, what nowadays

I worked for plastic manufacturer in the 90's. It is easy to add materials to regular plastic to make them 100 times more UV resistant than standard. So instead of lasting 3-4 weeks in the sun, a thin plastic film can be made to last 3-4 years in the sun. Over 20 years in darkness.
If helmet manufacturer is on the edge with UV, he can add soot to the plastic. Soot will prevent UV from penetrating the surface of the plastic and give it a nice non-fading black color. Then there is oxidation of the surface (gassing). Easily stopped by painting the helmet with clear coat. Add UV protection to the paint and you've made helmet that lasts for decades, as long as it isn't knocked around or the paint doesn't get scratched.
Why this is not always done is because those UV resistant materials (and paint) are more expensive than pure plastic.

I don't know if anyone has seen the videos of the Pacific ocean plastic cleanup. There is not a single plastic bag in the plastic garbage they've collected. That is because plastic bags break down in matter of weeks in the ocean. What is the first thing politicians ban? You guessed it, plastic bags.
Now you've gone and ruint their plans!

Two years later in the news: "Look at the difference we've made! There's still work to do, but no plastic bags to be seen! Aren't we great?"

Uncle Amos the whistleblower.

😁

20220630_135239.jpg

Went to the store today, they had the agv there with medium large and small, small was much too small, medium large was much better than the large, but still a little looser than I'd like.

Tried on a great many and thr HJC RPHA 11 was all around the most comfortable for my head, ended up with a Large size in that. Interesting just how different everybody's helmet fit is.

Overall, what a difference. Being at or around 3 lbs for the carbon fibre is surprising how much better it feels.

Also there is certainly some outer shell shape differences, with my scorpion, at 80mph there was a dramatic difference when turning my head to look left or right, this HJC doesn't feel like it tries to grab my head at all turning in the wind.

Seems curious at first, but the clip lock for the visor in the closed position is beneficial. The scorpion wouldn't stay all the way down tight on the gasket and it added a higher noise overall, with this clipped, there is no whistling or any such concern. Easy to pop up quickly as well.

As for noise, on my bike and my head, there is a little bit more wind noise, but it is all lower tones so it's not an issue for me and certainly good enough for how much I care.

No, I'm not fancy enough to ride with ear plugs or speakers. Yes, I know either of them help.

About $130 more out the door than the other one, but I'm very happy with the comfort and performance so far. (Which is only an hour of use 😆)

Full face MTN Bike helmet
Anybody ever consider one of these for trail riding? I ride lots of slow technical stuff 1st and 2nd gear for hours at a time..A lighter cooler helmet would do nicely when the temps get in the 90s and up.
If they are safe enough for Mtn bikers (Some of those guys rip). Why not trail riders?
Amazon product ASIN B09KL1VK2R What say you all?

Full face MTN Bike helmet
Anybody ever consider one of these for trail riding? I ride lots of slow technical stuff 1st and 2nd gear for hours at a time..A lighter cooler helmet would do nicely when the temps get in the 90s and up.
If they are safe enough for Mtn bikers (Some of those guys rip). Why not trail riders?
Amazon product ASIN B09KL1VK2R What say you all?

Many of our trails are overgrown, I use my helmet to knock brush out of the way. Massive vent holes are a way for branches to poke the top of my head, or a place for a branch to grab the helmet and yank it. If your trails are more well maintained, I see no reason these would not work well for dirtbiking.

I would like to see someone invent a helmet with a small fan, so they can maintain a solid outside shell and move air across the head.

Yea ,The local trails here are well maintained but holy crap the prices on the non dot MTN bike helmets range near the $399. mark and the standard MIPS/DOT run about$200.. My cheap nature won't let me do that unless the helmet is proven safer.

this ought to make some heads explode

this ought to make some heads explode
There was an ASME study fairly long time ago. Same general findings. Normal ASME peer reviewed publication.

I used to be the sales rep for Troy Lee Designs and their full face DH were definitely the premium lids with the price tag to match. But as I stated earlier what's your melon worth? Some of the DH crown went to MX helmets to get a higher level of protection.

My question for you lot if how many of you have been looking at ADV style flip lids? I really like my E1 but I'm thinking about what there is out there to look at next. Anyone?

I have 5 ADV helmets with the flip up lid and two Dirt bike helmets - which never see to get worn.

But I am an odd duck, I prefer to ride when it is cool. Rain does not bother me so the ADV is my go to. Even in the dry heat of 100F I want a full face mask , seems better to keep me cooler. I hate the feeling of a blast furnace in the face

2021-09-01 11.08.51.jpg
2021-09-01 11.09.07.jpg

Last edited:
Bang for the Buck I like the Bell with MIPS

1662381900682.png

I still have several AFX-FX39, but now I think they are obsolete and replaced with ADX-FX-41.
For the few extra dollars I think I will replace them with Bell's when the time comes

Reactions: EGR
For the price, I really like my Scorpion At950. I was thinking about an MX-9 ADV but the drop down sun visor and flip up chin bar of the AT-950 are hard to beat. I will be replacing my 950 this year and think I am going with another one.

Bang for the Buck I like the Bell with MIPS

1662381900682.png

I still have several AFX-FX39, but now I think they are obsolete and replaced with ADX-FX-41.
For the few extra dollars I think I will replace them with Bell's when the time comes
I've owned both. For me the AFX FX-41 was more comfortable, the drop-down internal sun visor and quick release chin snap
are game changers. The Bell is lighter but the AFX flows more air.

Isn't great to have choices !!
:-)

Reactions: MVI
I rode with my FX-39 yesterday, I do like the QR strap. 39 does not have a visor drop down as I know it.

I'll have to try a FX-41 to see how it fits.

Top Bottom Back Refresh