What's new

High mileage: what's gone wrong with your 1X90?

random1781

ADV+
Member Number
What failures have you seen on your bikes that weren't your fault? This is meant to be a running list to get an idea of things to look out for.

For my 2020 1290 SAR:
  • 14k - TPMS failure (reat) - Covered under warranty after arguing. My bike would give a low pressure warning regardless of the actual pressure or what it displayed. Replacing the sensor didn't fix the problem and it persists to this day.
  • 18k - Valve adjustment - I guess technically not a failure, but annoying that it was needed so soon. Apparently this was from riding about 10k with the stock air filter.
  • 25k/26k - Fuel petcocks - Each started slowly leaking at different times.
  • 26k - Fuel line - After preemptively swapping out the fuel pump and adding filters, the fuel line next to the injectors was cracking and leaking fuel.
  • 26k - Stator melted - This was fairly easy to replace, even though the service manual just says "replace stator." Beware the small washers that will fall out when you pull the cover off.
  • 28k - Frame cracked paint chipped - As best as I can tell, the left side frame/subframe bolt came loose and backed out. I hit something on a paved road that caused the frame to crack paint to chip on the left side swingarm bolt/bearing.

Last edited:
Until 21tkm/16tmile fuelcap failure and somehow they forgotten to activate the spare key. That made some hassle.
I did check the valves at 12tkm service and they were fine. I took bike to dealer for the service but made it again properly after it.

Bike is fantastic to drive but the quality for the whole package doesen`t impress, older are better.

2018 1090R
Oil pressure switch failed at about 5000.
Fuel pump failed at about 6700.
Bent the front rim from hammering 1 foot whoops at 50mph. I replaced it with a 2.15 tube type rim laced to the stock hub.
Still love the bike

2020 1290 sar
About 8000 miles had a coolant leak coming from the cover on the right hand side. New O ring and it has held since. Other than that as of today 18000 miles of basic maintenance. Knock on wood

Had to put a head on the front cylinder at 42k. I ran out of intake shims. Soft valves?? New clutch at the same time but that’s ok. It’s a wear item. I completely toasted a Touratech rear shock but they gave me a new one under warranty. Oil temp sensor went tits up at around 33k. Fuel level sensor. It’s been a solid bike and it gets beaten down every ride.

Last edited:
Left side loose bolt:

PXL_20220318_222919583.jpg

And the crack:

PXL_20220319_061946076~2.jpg

I noticed it because of the frame fluid, which I guess is the grease from the swingarm bearing that got...ejected out.

It took a few weeks to identify this. Symptoms were all steering related, bit the whole bike shook at times, which eventually led me to explore more.

I've done a lot to this bike, but never removed the subframe.

Thirsty 1 how did you toast a rear shock?
Long story but I bought a used shock with super low miles and put 33k on it. Did a bunch of dirt with it and finally killed it doing the TAT last year. Came out to the garage one day and wtf?!! Oil all over my rear pipe and under my bike??!! I pulled it off to get it serviced and the fill hole for the oil charge was elongated! They pulled apart and said the pds valving was wasted along with the secondary ports …. Long story short it was so trashed they gave me a new one!! I was shocked so to speak! So yeah I bought a used shock without paperwork. Put 33k on it and got a new one for free!! Good people at TT. This was the top mount and bolt! 2016 with the reinforcement cross brace!
4F7FB7EF-36FA-4A56-A841-3DD77F18C86D.jpeg

1E460B56-487A-4C30-B5CE-1B340A9E064E.jpeg

EB1B7795-8071-42DD-B14B-1E73BC9B5495.jpeg

Long story but I bought a used shock with super low miles and put 33k on it. Did a bunch of dirt with it and finally killed it doing the TAT last year. Came out to the garage one day and wtf?!! Oil all over my rear pipe and under my bike??!! I pulled it off to get it serviced and the fill hole for the oil charge was elongated! They pulled apart and said the pds valving was wasted along with the secondary ports …. Long story short it was so trashed they gave me a new one!! I was shocked so to speak! So yeah I bought a used shock without paperwork. Put 33k on it and got a new one for free!! Good people at TT. This was the top mount and bolt! 2016 with the reinforcement cross brace!
4F7FB7EF-36FA-4A56-A841-3DD77F18C86D.jpeg

1E460B56-487A-4C30-B5CE-1B340A9E064E.jpeg

EB1B7795-8071-42DD-B14B-1E73BC9B5495.jpeg
I've seen the aftermarket titanium bolts, but to be honest I've always wondered if it would be better for the bolts to be somewhat sacrificial...I guess you managed to sacrifice everything!

To correct my previous post, the frame is NOT cracked! Once everything was apart, it was just the powder coating that had chipped. Yay!

2014 1190, ~56,000 miles: fork seal and starter upgrade done under warranty. Suspension refresh/rebuild at ~53,000 miles. Other than that, just general maintenance/wear items.

Well just picked my 2020 up from the dealership for its 18000 mile checkup and probably the last. Always before they would charge me 4-500$ this one……. $1500 fuck that I will do it myself next time. Then they are recommending new sprocket and chain (looked at it and it has plenty of life) and a tire which I already new about. Other than that everything was in spec and good. Shouldn’t be surprised from the stealership but just pisses me if my entire weekend of overtime is going to this.

Well just picked my 2020 up from the dealership for its 18000 mile checkup and probably the last. Always before they would charge me 4-500$ this one……. $1500 fuck that I will do it myself next time. Then they are recommending new sprocket and chain (looked at it and it has plenty of life) and a tire which I already new about. Other than that everything was in spec and good. Shouldn’t be surprised from the stealership but just pisses me if my entire weekend of overtime is going to this.
18k is the valve inspection/adjustment, but $1500 is insane. I'm with you on their dealerships, the hardest part about switching over to KTM was leaving the awesome independent mechanic that worked on my BMW.

Steamboat Powersports didn't properly latch my air filter. I discovered this 4k later when it was full of dust and flapping around.

Well 22000 miles. Sunday night I park go in to have dinner and when I walk out she cranks over strong but will not start. Dropped it off at the shop because I have the warranty so it ain’t going to cost me anything. They call me this afternoon, crank position sensor parts on order but I still won’t see her again till next week.

Well 22000 miles. Sunday night I park go in to have dinner and when I walk out she cranks over strong but will not start. Dropped it off at the shop because I have the warranty so it ain’t going to cost me anything. They call me this afternoon, crank position sensor parts on order but I still won’t see her again till next week.
Is that an extended warranty?

Well on Saturday I got a battery warning. Parked did some shit came back out she started ran fine all the way home. Sunday I had some stuff to do with the truck so the bike sat for the day, today I go to fire her up to ride to work and all I get is clicks. Jump start get to work turn her off and try to restart. Again clicks so after work I jump start her again and ride home. By the time I get home my headlight is flashing and I’m getting warnings for battery Mtc abs and probably a few more im not thinking about. I’m guessing battery I’ve got the battery pulled and on the charger for the night will bring it in and have tested and most likely will be getting a new one tomorrow. Also replaced the chain and sprocket over the weekend. That one probably would have lasted longer had I oiled it more often. But when daily riding your bike sometimes laziness overcomes.

Charged the battery and brought it in for a load test. Passed the load test. Into the shop she goes. Now for another god knows how long to get her back again.

Edit.
They called today. Stator and regulator. Hopefully have her back tomorrow.

Last edited:
Replaced the cam chain tensioners with a manual system after the stock hydraulic system failed and skipped a tooth on the cam(fortunatly no damage) and as a bonus no more cam chain knock:

Replaced the cam chain tensioners with a manual system after the stock hydraulic system failed and skipped a tooth on the cam(fortunatly no damage) and as a bonus no more cam chain knock:

I put some goop on mine to keep them from causing a oil sheen on the cases. The threaded adjuster will leak.

Top Bottom Back Refresh