What's new

Honda Dax

From a practical standpoint the Grom is a better bike and a better value. On top of that I prefer the 5 speed manual over the 4 speed semi auto. But, the trail 70 was my dream bike when I was young. This bike does appeal to me. I sure hope we get it here in the states.
That is true but the heart wants what the heart wants.

You don't like the 4 speed semi auto? I think I like it better than a traditional 4 speed or 5 speed.

My clone is a 4 speed manual. But I keep thinking about a 90cc 4 speed auto with neutral on the bottom. Has to do with a better transmission and to rev out more. There are some gaps in between gears. The new version looks bigger overall. The clones are base on the last JDM models ct70.

That is true but the heart wants what the heart wants.

You don't like the 4 speed semi auto? I think I like it better than a traditional 4 speed or 5 speed.
To be fair, the last semi auto I rode was my sons XR70 over 20 years ago. I have just read too many bad reviews of the tranny in the Super Cub and Trail Cub.

To be fair, the last semi auto I rode was my sons XR70 over 20 years ago. I have just read too many bad reviews of the tranny in the Super Cub and Trail Cub.
Really? User error may be? I didn’t have any problem with my Trail and I think the Super Cub’s tranny is even better. So much so that it’d be interested in swapping engines/ transmissions between a Super Cub and Monkey or GROM. I don’t have that kind of money though.

Really? User error may be? I didn’t have any problem with my Trail and I think the Super Cub’s tranny is even better. So much so that it’d be interested in swapping engines/ transmissions between a Super Cub and Monkey or GROM. I don’t have that kind of money though.
I have read that from multiple sources and these were not inexperienced riders. However, I have not ridden a Super Cub or Trail Cub myself. Both are still on my list of possible future buys. I definitely want to get a mini moto some day but it may be a year or two. First I have to sell one of my current bikes and then I have to decide which one to buy. I am hoping someone will up the game and build a mini moto with a bit more performance.

I had the Ice Bear Champion clone and it was fine.
IMG_20150828_133019.jpg

Along with several others. All were fun.

IMG_20150718_005717.jpg

I wasn't sure where to put the following comment.

I own both a GROM and a Super Cub. I also had a GROM and a Trail at the same time last year. I felt the GROM was a better bike than the Trail. The Trail had this aura when I was riding it. There is nothing the Trail did better than the GROM but the Trail was special when I was riding it. I sold my (2022) GROM and kept the Trail for a while. Honda finally brought the gray Super Cub I had lusted after since it came out in 2019. So I sold my Trail and bought the Super Cub. I immediately noticed the difference between the Trail and the Super Cub. The Super Cub was much better. The engine was better, the seat was better, the riding position was a little sportier than the Trail (lower handlebar). I was however missing the rush from the GROM. I felt I could afford both at this time so I bought a 2023 GROM. The initial impression was the same I had when I compared the GROM to the Trail: I felt the GROM was better than the Super Cub. As weeks go by, I find myself leaning more toward enjoying the Super Cub better. While I like the riding position of the GROM, the constant shifting of gears gets tiring. The larger wheels of the Super Cub mean it feels more planted in turns but the GROM has better suspension overall. They are both good in different ways.

What I have come to realize is that I really like the semi auto gearbox from the Super Cub. The new engine from the 2022 GROM mated to that 4 speed auto gearbox is fantastic. I love it. No, I'm not planning on swapping engines and transmissions (though you never know!) but it's making me think the Dax would be the perfect compromise of all these mini motos. Classic name and looks, carries 2 people if needed, no fob. Will Honda bring it to the US?

I hope Honda brings it here although it will just make for a harder decision when I finally get around to buying a mini moto.

If you look at the dimensions listed in the pics below, the Dax is between a GROM and a Super Cub in its riding position. The Dax and the GROM have the same wheelbase and same overall length. If the drawings have the same scale, the Dax's seat is longer than the GROM's.

image-01.png

image-01.png

image-01.png

Same here. I keep looking online as minimotos pop up nearby, but I really want to know if & when the Dax will make it to NA. It has the combination of features I want.

Bar None 's Ice Bear Champion may be the way I go if Honda doesn't give us some information. Too bad the Champion has 10" wheels, though.
Same here. It's got all the features I want: fat 12" wheels, semi auto tranny, can carry 2 people... It could use a larger tank but I'm being picky.

I have read that from multiple sources and these were not inexperienced riders. However, I have not ridden a Super Cub or Trail Cub myself. Both are still on my list of possible future buys. I definitely want to get a mini moto some day but it may be a year or two.
I’m thinking of one, other or both. Afraid they might be underpowered. But I really want one.

Top Bottom Back Refresh