What's new

Honda GROM

cabanza

Member Number
I hear it's Honda's best selling bike in the US.

The 2022 is the best yet!

FNhSqnhWQAMy9Y5?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

The Grom has been Honda's best selling street bike in the USA every year since it was introduced. I have had the chance to ride a couple of the older ones with the stepped seats. They were fun but too cramped for me to be comfortable.

P8040183-XL.jpg

I sat on a 2022. Much more comfortable for a tall guy like me.

Even the suspension is better on the 2022! I had a 2017 and while it was like a scalpel, the suspension was definitely on the stiff side.

Wow! Did I call it or what?

2023 GROM is out!

$3,499 so $100 more than last year. Red and silver are now available!

2023-grom-cherry_red-1950x1140.jpg

2023-grom-force_metallic_silver-1950x1140.jpg

I really dislike the styling on the newer ones. Those big stylized white or neon circles make it look like some kind of a child's toy assembled by hand with super exagerated screws so a toddler won't eat them. Seems a very strange design choice to emphasize the location of all the fairing screws.

I have to admit being surprised at this bike being such a big seller in the USA. When it was first released I was intrigued, but saw one in person and immediately knew it was too small and slow to be useful for any real-world riding for me. I know you can hop them up a little bit and they'll reliably get to 60mph, but so will my TU250 without any mods, and it's a real full size motorcycle that can (and does frequently) carry a passenger, cargo, and serve commuting duty for me.

I was expecting Groms to sell to racers wanting pit bikes, parents buying 1st motorcycles for younger kids, and some college students who need transportation but didn't want a scooter. I seem to be correct in the latter assumption, as I work on a college campus and see Groms everywhere, but it still amazes me it's Honda's best selling bike, especially given the MSRP now, for which you can buy any variety of nice used motorcycles. Then you gotta deal with the stupid dealerships tacking on an additional 25-50 percent of the MSRP with their bullshit fees.

Then Honda goes and releases the Navi, and I immediately laugh it off as a "global bike" that won't sell in the USA, but then gas prices spike like crazy so who knows. The Navi's MSRP is surely tempting for a lot of people, but it seems that nobody is getting them OTD for less than $3k which is fucking insanity for a carb'd scooter with cable drum brakes.

When I first saw the newest Groms I didn't like the styling but it quickly grew on me. Add in all the improvements they have made and I would consider buying one. it doesn't surprise me that it's Honda's best seller. It might not make sense but tiny bikes are just FUN.

As for the Navi, while some dealers are asking outrageous prices, pretty much all the people who bought one and posted the price have paid around $2300 - $2700 OTD from what I have seen. The Navi is too slow for me but A Grom would be just fast enough to work for me. I'd still really like to see a 150cc Grom with about a 65 MPH top speed.

Having had all 3 versions, the 2022 is better in every way. The new engine and 5 speed transmission are a step forward. I wasn't sold on the 5th gear at first (who wants to shift an extra 25%?) but it works and the 2022 GROM is a little faster than the previous model. The seat is a major improvement and the suspension is a little softer which make the GROM a lot more comfortable. If I was forced to have only 1 bike, it probably would be a GROM. It does everything well.

klaviator I have hit 65 mph (indicated) several times on the new 2022. I hit 68 mph once which is as fast as the PCX will go.

Having had all 3 versions, the 2022 is better in every way. The new engine and 5 speed transmission are a step forward. I wasn't sold on the 5th gear at first (who wants to shift an extra 25%?) but it works and the 2022 GROM is a little faster than the previous model. The seat is a major improvement and the suspension is a little softer which make the GROM a lot more comfortable. If I was forced to have only 1 bike, it probably would be a GROM. It does everything well.

klaviator I have hit 65 mph (indicated) several times on the new 2022. I hit 68 mph once which is as fast as the PCX will go.
Do you know how accurate the speedometer is? 65 indicated could mean a real 65 or it could mean 59 if it's 10% off like some bikes are.

Do you know how accurate the speedometer is? 65 indicated could mean a real 65 or it could mean 59 if it's 10% off like some bikes are.
I unfortunately do not know how accurate the speedometer is. But I think the GROM hits a legitimate 60 mph. There are several videos on You Tube where people hit 65 mph (speedo).

I unfortunately do not know how accurate the speedometer is. But I think the GROM hits a legitimate 60 mph. There are several videos on You Tube where people hit 65 mph (speedo).
I think I have read in a few reviews that around 59-60 was a realistic top speed but since there is no governor like on the PCX, you can do 65-70 going downhill.

I think I have read in a few reviews that around 59-60 was a realistic top speed but since there is no governor like on the PCX, you can do 65-70 going downhill.
It's pretty good for a little bike like that. I mean, it's only a 125 cc on 12 inch wheels. May be the 2022 Super Cub (also with the updated engine) is a little faster than the GROM?

If I had easy forest trails to ride it on nearby, I'd look at a Monkey. I like it a lot more than the Grom for some reason.

If I had easy forest trails to ride it on nearby, I'd look at a Monkey. I like it a lot more than the Grom for some reason.
The Monkey bike is more comfortable and designed more for off road but for some reason I prefer the Grom. The Grom is more capable off road than you would think.

163d76878864c8b4d4302a46bf569f86.jpg

DSC04118-XL.jpg

Attachments

• DSC04124-XL.jpg
    DSC04124-XL.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 7
Because of klaviator I ended up going to a dealer to check out a GROM. He really should stop saying it's the best mini moto. :lol3

Anyway, I was interested in the GROM ABS in white. Thank God it was sold. No really. I would have been tempted. Having said that, I asked the dealer what they were asking for the non ABS version out the door and I was quoted $5,000 to $5,2000. No thank you. That's about $800 to $1,000 what I would be willing to pay.

They had a matte black and silver GROM. I thought I'd like the silver one better. Matte black isn't bad but this kind of bike needs bright flashy colors IMO.

FoJe9j8WAAMm0Q4?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I have ridden a couple of older Groms and they were very cramped for me. The new Groms are much better. I'd love to ride one of the new ones.

I went back out and rode to another dealer. It was a chance for me to ride the R18. I found one! A 2023 ABS model in pearl white. Dealer was asking $5,100 OTD. Hard pass. That's $5-600 more than what I'm willing to pay. I also heard a new one from the sales guy: we can't come down on price because Honda charges us an extra $400 over MSRP. :eek7

Gotta love the white one

FoJ-qivXoAMu2QE?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I went back out and rode to another dealer. It was a chance for me to ride the R18. I found one! A 2023 ABS model in pearl white. Dealer was asking $5,100 OTD. Hard pass. That's $5-600 more than what I'm willing to pay. I also heard a new one from the sales guy: we can't come down on price because Honda charges us an extra $400 over MSRP. :eek7

Gotta love the white one

FoJ-qivXoAMu2QE?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
I heard the same thing from a salesman at a local dealer except for a PCX. He said that Honda advertises one MSRP but then charges them more. That's total BS. Every other dealer within a few hundred miles at least showed the correct MSRP even if they did add a bunch of charges. This same dealer Had a couple of ruckus's advertised as "on Sale" with the sales price being $1 under MSRP. I had to laugh at that. When I got home I googled the MSRP of the Ruckus and it was a few hundred dollars under what the dealer showed. The sad thing is that some people were probably stupid enough to pay that much. Luckily there are still some dealers out there that don't use such blatant lies.

BTW, I love the paint scheme on the Grom in your pic.

Back
Top Bottom