What's new

Honda NAVI

Is the Navi a failure?

I went by my dealer and they had over 10 Navi on the floor. I checked other Honda dealers in my area and it's the same story. Will Honda bring it back for 2023? I'm not so sure. I think part of the problem was dealers inflating prices. It's a cheap bike - it looks cheap too. But there's nothing wrong with it. I think it could have been a sales success. 2 words: dealer greed.

fnac_iexkaans4b-format-jpg-name-large-jpg.jpg

fnac_iiwaaixz79-format-jpg-name-large-jpg.jpg

I bought the first Navi I seen, under $2300 OTD (tax, title and plate included). I thought my wife would like it but as it turns out I have another fun little bike I didn't need but still have fun with. I haven't seen any sitting on dealer floors, and only a couple on the road.

The CT 125 is finally showing up and one dealer has 3 on the floor(overpriced), the other dealer local to me has 1 with a sale pending.

Grom's and Monkey's are pretty scarce around here with most being sold before they show up.

Scooters are not real popular here but I did see an ADV 150 in the showroom and a few smaller scooters, no Cub.

I think dealer greed was the biggest hurdle for the Navi but lack of performance certainly didn't help sales either. In a country where many riders think you need at least 1000cc to actually ride somewhere, a bike barely capable of 50 MPH just isn't going to cut it. I am a big fan of small bikes and have around 60,000 miles on 150cc scooters but the Navi is just too slow for me to even use as an around town bike. I don't like being a rolling roadblock.

However I do like the concept. Install a Grom Motor with a CVT and replace the front drum with a disc and I could see an actually useful bike. Of course it would cost more than a Navi but if it sold for 2,999 with minimal extra fees I could see it being a big seller.

One more thing, what's with the .9 Gallon Gas tank? Maybe that would be OK if it got 130 MPG but it doesn't.

Another dealer, another batch of Navi just sittin' there. Not sure if Honda will bring it back for 2023. It might become a cult bike in a few years.

FoJe9j7WIA0OCtk?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Another dealer, another batch of Navi just sittin' there. Not sure if Honda will bring it back for 2023. It might become a cult bike in a few years.

FoJe9j7WIA0OCtk?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
If they sit in dealer showrooms long enough the OTD price may come down to what it should have been in the first place.

Izzat just a Grom w/more plastic? Haven't been paying attention to ream red for a while.
It is Honda's offering for inexpensive transportation, with a 110cc scooter motor and CVT, stying to look like a motorcycle. That plastic box where the motor would be on a motorcycle is storage. It would be decent for neighborhood transportation, but Honda dealers (not all of them) have taken that $1807 MSRP and boosted it to over $3k with fees; IMHO killing the sales. With bike models from Asia slow to get to the US, I think these are coming in from Mexico, so better availability for US dealers. If they had sold it at the MSRP plus tax and license, it could have been competitive with ebikes for those who want to use them for transportation to get to (nearby) work or the grocery store. A 50mph or so top speed, so not practical for any riding that would put you on a highway.

While the Navi is less expensive than the Grom, it gives up a lot in terms performance, braking and even gas mileage. Between not so great gas mileage and a .9 gallon tank it doesn't have much range. However, I think the concept is great. The CVT will be very appealing to those who don't know how to use a manual tranny. I think Honda should combine the best of the Navi and Grom and make a new bikes. Use the Grom engine with a CVT. Compromise with the brakes with a disc front and drum rear. Make the price higher than the Navi but below the Grom and I think it would sell.

I think the power unit is fine. It's the chassis that needs an upgrade: bigger wheels and better brakes. Also add EFI and you already have a much better bike.
That depends on where you live and ride. 50 MPH would make me a rolling roadblock many of the places I ride. When I leave my subdivision I will be on either a 50 MPH or 55 MPH road within a minute depending on which way I go. Of course typical traffic is going 5 over the speed limit.

That depends on where you live and ride. 50 MPH would make me a rolling roadblock many of the places I ride. When I leave my subdivision I will be on either a 50 MPH or 55 MPH road within a minute depending on which way I go. Of course typical traffic is going 5 over the speed limit.
It may not be exactly the same engine but it is the same cc and output, My wife and I had a Honda Zoomer X we purchased in Mexico. 110 cc, 8 HP or so, 12" wheels, etc. We rode it 2 up from Monterrey to San Antonio. We had it 4 years until we took it to Hawaii and sold it over there before we came back. We rode it often in San Antonio and later Houston. It was a blast to ride. We've actually looked into buying another one but Honda Mexico doesn't sell it anymore.

What Klav said.....
A 110 requires a m/c lisc, so why not get something a bit bigger thats more useful.
50’s for in the big city
150’s for the suburbs

The Navi is way cool but a crap ton of videos with an $1800 thumbnail with reddit replies at $5100 otd is not cool. No fixing this mess. Honda should drop ship me a Navi or no dice. I can pull up 10 videos with the thumbnail... and the discussion leads to market demographics. And support of capitalism...whatever a kpx 250 iis $3200 with 6 speeds. India made junk with a 10" rear wheel.

Back
Top Bottom